Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Piggyback to Amiga's advice thread

>

Jackie

Piggyback to Amiga's advice thread
Old 08-06-2020, 01:03 PM

Since a few of us thought of Dory's song...let's discuss Ellen DeGeneres.

I don't think I saw this discussed on here but maybe I missed it. Have you been following the Ellen DeGeneres scandel? I'll admit at first I was a little surprised. I watched Ellen all the time when I was on maternity leave. She was one of the few things that made me smile during my ds's colic days. The more I'm reading about it, the more disappointed I am. I don't know if I can watch her and enjoy her show as I once did.

Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-06-2020, 01:09 PM

I was wondering about those reports. Has it been confirmed that Ellen behaves so poorly to the staff? I admit I only read one or two articles on the matter.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Anna
Old 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM

At first, it seemed like it was more her producers. However, many celebrities have said that they have witnessed bad behavior from her and a toxic environment overall while guests on her show. Like I said, I was surprised and saddened to hear this. I hope it's not true but...
Jackie is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-06-2020, 01:17 PM

I'm surprised too because I always thought of her as a kind and generous person with a great sense of humor. I hope these reports are not trueHow little we know about media personalities.Perhaps it's best we don't know too much.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 PM

Yep there’s way too much smoke not to have fire. Apparently it’s fairly well known among more famous people. It is disappointing. I think people just get way too much power and it goes to their heads.

CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 08-06-2020, 01:29 PM

I’ve never watched her show but her short clips show up on my Facebook feed. I have to say that during this Covid time she’s really giving me some nice laughs, but I haven’t heard the rumors.
kidsrterrific is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-06-2020, 01:32 PM

I just read an article that when she was 20 she would bully an 11 year old boy for being fat and stupid. She worked for his mother. I was surprised about her but after reading a few articles from different people I have to say I do believe that things are as bad as they are for her. Its sad because so many people like her and enjoy her show although I saw its down in viewing.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 08-06-2020, 01:34 PM

I've read rumors about her nasty treatment of staff and lesser celebs on her show for years. Sometimes you take these with a grain of salt, but when it's consistent and constant for that long of a time period, you figure there must be a kernel of truth somewhere...So, I am not surprised.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM

I agree I was also shocked. But now I saw a statement from her long time DJ on the show who seems to support the claims. Sad.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Nothing
Old 08-06-2020, 02:34 PM

I haven't heard anything! Now I'm curious!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 08-06-2020, 03:28 PM

I used to like Ellen Degeneres a lot from what I saw of her on tv. I lost a lot of respect when what was dubbed “Iggygate” happened. That’s where Ellen fell apart on air and bawled to her audience while telling the story, and vilified the rescue organization she had adopted a dog, Iggy, from. The rescue organization got death threats, was hounded by the press and was forced to shut down for a time.

I thought it was very unfair of her to publicly argue her case in that way when it was she who had broken the contract by giving the dog away to someone else. I happened to indirectly know the rescue lady (my friend adopted a dog through her and I had been to their shop) and knew she was dedicated and all about the animals’ welfare.

After that, I just didn’t feel like following her anymore. Kinda soured me, I guess.

CK2

Old 08-06-2020, 04:16 PM

So much for “Be kind to one another.” Very disappointing.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Ellen dishes it out
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 PM

I used to enjoy her show until, last year, when I recommended it to someone and they pointed out several things about her that I hadn't noticed (or maybe I didn't want to see.)

*She never puts herself in a position that might make her look awkward or out of control, yet she loves pulling pranks on others that might make them look or feel awkward. Then she laughs at them, making it more humiliating. (Although I used to say she was laughing with them. I'm not so sure, anymore.)

*She has become known for frightening celebrities by having some disguised person unexpectedly jump out from a hollowed out table. Again, she seems to enjoy laughing at them, but I don't think she'd take it well if this prank were played on her.

*Her evening game show seems to do the above, as well. In this case, however, people seem to know what they are getting into when they sign up. Again, she seems to take joy in embarrassing them or making the contestants look bad or uncomfortable. In one of the final segments where the finalists are standing on a tall platform and will suddenly be dropped down a long chute with an incorrect answer, again, she seems to enjoy having them beg her not to let them drop.

*The other thing I found annoying, once I started looking more carefully, is the way she treats some of her staff, whom I learned are her producers. (I originally thought they were her 'comedy actors' and 'in' on the joke.) I recall she was making her female producer feel very uncomfortable with some sort of product she had been using (maybe hemorrhoid cream? I don't recall). More specifically she seems to enjoy putting "Andy" on the spot in situations he seems to really hate. It seems to me that she likes belittling him or humiliating him, in my opinion, to excess.

Now, I will say she does seem to be kind to a wide variety of people in many walks of life. Her show definitely gives away lots of money and products but it's always from her corporate sponsors, which is done regularly on many shows.

Since I've taken a closer look, her treatment of others and how she seems to enjoy laughing at them has soured me toward her brand. Putting others in silly predicaments and then laughing at them is not, in my opinion, about having a sense of humor. It's about humiliating others just to get a laugh. In some circles, this might even be called bullying.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 PM

I was a huge fan of Ellen back when she had that sitcom that she later came out on. She faced a lot of backlash for that, but I loved the show and her and I was super annoyed that they always put up an advisory just because she might kiss someone on the show.

I liked her so much less once she came back into the spotlight with her show, and how she has acted towards those on her show the few times I caught it. I didn't know that there was all this going on behind the scenes, but I just wasn't such a fan anymore. I rarely have seen her talk show. I watched a bit when she first started, when I was home with my little ones, but wasn't that into it.

I have to admit I'm watching with a bit of "rubbernecking" mentality. I've read things over time about how she treats guests and of course it blew up a little more when she started filming in her home and there was all that stuff about her staff being treated unfairly. And the prison comment and the "tell us your best mean Ellen story" or whatever that comedian did. I know a lot about what's going on for someone who doesn't watch her show It's my phone- it gives me news articles it thinks I'd like and I don't like about half of them, but I've read the Ellen ones.

She does seem to like putting others in awkward positions. When her show first started, I remember her doing a lot of dancing and that was her thing. But now her thing seems to be pranking. I hate pranks.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

Ellen
Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 AM

I used to be a faithful watcher. It comes on soon after school. So I had a little routine when I got home to watch and relax. But like Risa and some others, I personally did not understand or enjoy the pranks. And I personally didn't even enjoy highlighting peoples lives and all the giveaways. I guess it's a kind thing to do but seemed to be about her, pumping her ego up?
I don't know...But the news feeds are unsettling. Sounds like there have been meetings and such with her staff. Wonder what will happen.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote