Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Amigaís book group

>

luvmycat

Amigaís book group
Old 08-13-2020, 10:48 AM

Amiga, Iím curious how your club liked the book selection. I canít remember if you were discussing the one you liked or the one you werenít as fond of.

Itís always interesting to hear which books generate the better discussions.

luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-13-2020, 12:02 PM

Thanks for asking. Our first book was The Girl with Seven Names (escape from North Korea). Opinions on the book were dividedóabout half of us didnít love itóbut we had a wonderful discussion. Personally, if anyone is interested in her story, Iíd recommend her 12-minute TED Talk over the book.

In the business part of the meeting I let slip I am NOT liking #3 (another nonfiction) and people suggested we drop it, but I insisted we let it stay because the person who recommended it wasnít there. Kinda uncomfortable, but sweet my opinion was trusted.

(Please donít think I hate all nonfiction, I recently read 2 I loved.)

I canít wait for next month because I LOVED The Vanishing Half (fiction!) and I know it will engender a wonderful discussion.

Finally, I really really liked the people in my group. I felt at home with them. DD said Iíve found my tribe. One even wrote last night asking if I wanted to walk-at-a-distance with her next week. And I really liked her so Iím thrilled.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM

I am glad you had a good first meeting of your club. It must feel good since you are the host. I like what your DD said, I can see you being very well respected. Enjoy your new read.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM

I’m so glad that the discussion was a good one. I have read 2 of the 3 books your club selected. I looked at the 3rd and was very curious about how that one will work. It is not a title that I would select.

I’ll be curious as to how the discussion goes with Vanishing Half. I enjoyed that book and had added it to a list of possible book discussions. I hate to be the one who often recommends books, but others in the group pushed for it. I had mentioned it weeks ago, after I read it. I read it when it first came out in June I got if from Libby in a manner of days. Today I am #456- 12 weeks away. I like to have the book fresh in my mind so I want to read it again. I refuse to buy it after having already read it. We made it our selection for 2 books out.

I hope that the third book turns out to be okay. It’s always tough when it is a challenge to read a book that you feel obligated to read.

I am so glad that you found a new simpatico group.

Last edited by luvmycat; 08-13-2020 at 06:53 PM..
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

wonderful
Old 08-13-2020, 03:01 PM

Your book club sounds wonderful. I have The Girl With 7 Names on my Kindle, but think I will take your suggestion and watch the TED Talk. Vanishing Half was indeed interesting, especially liked the cousin connection. What is the 3rd title?

dawnmei is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-13-2020, 03:16 PM

dawnmei, #3 Is the one I slogged through the first 50 pagesóand that may be the extent of my reading.
Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert, Shaper of Nations
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote