Help

Kindergarten

Moving from Third grade to Kindergarten

>

maddiesmom

Moving from Third grade to Kindergarten
Old 03-16-2011, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I may have the opportunity to move to Kindergarten next year. For the past eight years I have been teaching second and third grade and I love it!
I am wondering what you can share with me about Kindergarten? I am terrified but excited at the same time. Any advice you can give or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

maddiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TBBE

Similar Situation
Old 03-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught either 1,2,or 3 for the past 9 years and will be moving to Kindergarten next year. Can't wait to see what people share.
TBBE is offline   Reply With Quote

ptatreasurer4

love it.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I moved from 1st to K two years ago. I love love love it.
ptatreasurer4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mls

Totally different world!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been in kinder for 4 years, before that- second grade. You may want to observe a class before the year is over. At the start of the year, you may have 4-6 years olds (depending on your age cut-off). There is a HUGE range of experiences and knowledge for incoming kiddos. You have to address their needs emotionally, socially (a large part), physically and academically. For many, this is their first school experience and if there is a problem with adjustment or an behavior/academic concern- you will be the first to flag it for the parents. It can be stressful and you will do a lot of hand-holding (parenting advice). Sometimes, you may not se the fruits of your labor until they hit 1st or 2nd grade.

For the first month or so, it's like having pre-schoolers in the room. You must do everything S-L-O-W-L-Y the first month. I spend a large amount of our time teaching procedures and basic things like lining up the first month. It pays off in the end. By January, they can run the room without me I have full-day, every day kinder, so I am able to do a lot with them. I'll attach my schedule for September so you can get an idea. After they build stamina with certain activities, they become longer and the play gets shortened to 30-40 minutes. I ALWAYS take them outside each day. This is very important to get the wiggles out and refocus their attention.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2010-2011 schedule grid September.doc (52.5 KB, 182 views)
mls is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrtonya

respond well to
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kids this age eat up positive attention. And I love to lay it on thick. I thank them for giving me right answers, for giving me wrong answers, for doing the right thing at any given time, for helping out without knowing they are helping, for breathing...

They also like to be given the chance to figure things out on their own or be led to believe they figured it out on their own. Playing 'stupid' every once in a while (teacher that is) and letting them teach you is a game they love.

As the PP said, take the time to figure out routines early on. It is much harder to reestablish a good routine than it is to remind them of what you have already practiced.

This age is so much fun. They are little sponges and want to absorb as much as possible.

tchrtonya is offline   Reply With Quote

iheart3rd

3rd grade last year Kinder this year!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught pk for 5 years then 3rd for 5 and this is my 1st time with Kinder!
If you love children and teaching, kinder is a perfect match! They are so young in Aug. -Sep. But right now I they are perfect and all the hard work is very evedent!!! so many great reasons to teach kinder with the experience of what 3rd graders learn in all subject areas!!! One activity I frequently do is " this is a 3rd grade lesson" the kinders sit up and have the best time thinking they are learning big kid info, BTW sometimes they are
iheart3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Combsread

from 4th to kinder
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

maddie-

i've only taught 6th, 5th (2yrs), and currently 4th. next year i will be the AM 1/2 day kinder teacher and PM reading coach. i'm so excited but scared at the same time! maybe we an share stories throughout the year.

best of luck! here is a great website I found

http://www.jmeacham.com/
Combsread is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

and remember if you observe a K class now...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

they are pretty much on their way to being first graders. They have their routines down and they remember the rules. So have fun, listen to what everyone says on this site, wash your hands a lot, take your vitamins and start going to be early now I LOVE K!!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

lolipop

Been there, done that, and it's great!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I taught 3rd grade for years, and I always thought I wanted to teach 5th grade after subbing for quite a few years. Anyway, I also liked the older kids because my children were grown and I had lived through raising 6 kids that age! This year, I got placed in a Kindergarten class, where I did NOT want to be, but where I was happy to go just because I was able to keep a job in the midst of all these budget cuts! I had taught kindergarten when I was MUCH younger, but this time I just didn't feel like that was where I was supposed to be. To my surprise, I have loved every minute of it, and I'll tell you why. There are so many children these days who have no role models at home. This is true for kids of all ages, but the role models in a Kindergartener's life are setting examples and helping to develop habits that will last a lifetime. These children are moldable and trainable, and I have been given the privilege of being a significant influence in their lives at such a critical time. I try to keep that thought ever before me whenever I'm having a rough day. I have the unique opportunity to fill a gap that is a crucial one in the lives of these little ones. Not everyone is given that opportunity, and, even though I may get sick of tying shoes, etc., I know that any time that I invest in these children is time well-spent in terms of how they will be affected. Try to keep on remembering that, because it is true!
lolipop is offline   Reply With Quote

usechalk

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is some really great advice. I have taught kindergarten before and there is some great stuff here.

usechalk is offline   Reply With Quote

teach3ingc

I moved from third last year to k this year..
Old 03-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

and I LOVE it!!!!! I am NEVER leaving Kindergarten!!! It is hard in the beginning but they are soooo adorable and loving and there is no testing stress!!!!! It is awesome! This site is so helpful too. Good luck you are going to love it!!!!

Meredith
teach3ingc is offline   Reply With Quote

Bradjoe

3rd to K
Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I retired from teaching K 2 years ago. I had taught first and second before that and I have to say the best years for me were in K!!!! I totally agree with MLS, Sept. is a hard month but once you get them into a routine, they are awesome!!! They love you no matter what! I sobbed my last day of teaching because I knew how much I would miss them.
Bradjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

9cooker

6th to K
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I moved from 6th grade to K four years ago. I love kindergarten. I can see so much growth it is amazing.

September and October are building months. I spend lots of my time introducing areas in the room and how to use and put items away. We then practice. We model and practice everything. Liquid glue is a big one to practice, especially opening and closing the top.

Remember to go slowly and model everything. You can not assume that they know what you mean.
9cooker is offline   Reply With Quote