Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Discouraged

>

Relearner

Discouraged
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM

I am almost 59. I lost about 20 lbs 3 years ago and have gained it all back. I must admit that I enjoy a few beers in the evenings. Anyway, I could stand to lose 50 pounds. I saw some recent pics of me, and boy do I have the belly fat going on! Just feeling sorry for myself I guess. I know once I cut back on or give up beer entirely and eat healthier again I will feel better quickly.
I guess at my age I donít feel like I want to shame myself about weight problems-been there, done that. Then again I know Iíve been in denial about my weight/health issues recently.
Thanks for reading.

Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Weight Watchers
Old 06-29-2018, 03:07 AM

It certainly is depressing to gain weight. I went back to Weight Watchers and have lost 17 pounds. I'm 60, and the weight comes off a bit slowly, but I feel great. I have eight more pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I am 68. Lost 40 pounds two years ago
Old 06-29-2018, 03:54 AM

and have regained eight, but it does not show, because it is all muscle, which takes up less space. I work out four or five times a week - boxing, Zumba, circuit-training, machines at the gym, etc.

At this point, it is not about what I weigh, but about how I feel and look. I feel strong. My body has changed in so many ways. Everything is more defined and I have a butt for the first time in my life.

I would recommend a good exercise program. And of course, the beer should be limited a bit.

Last edited by Clarity; 06-29-2018 at 04:34 AM..
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-29-2018, 04:00 AM

About this:
Quote:
it is all muscle, which weighs more
What weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense so it takes up less space, but it doesn't weigh more. Sorry, but this is a huge misconception and it drives me crazy.

Also congrats on getting so fit, Clarity. I love you for saying this:

Quote:
At this point, it is not about what I weigh, but about how I feel and look. I feel strong.

OP, just start! Anywhere. Walk, jumprope, dance, whatever, just start moving. Once you decide to do it, it becomes addictive. Wishing you success.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Zia - you are absolutely right.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:33 AM

I always make that mistake. What I meant to say is that a pound of lean muscle mass takes up less space than a pound of fat. Thanks for correcting me. I fixed it.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

weight
Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM

I so understand!! I am 54. I lost 25 lbs ten years ago, but that, and more have crept back on. I recently (8 days) started NOOM. It is a bit like WW, but it includes a personal coach that I text with daily. I also use it to log weight and meals. So far, I have only lost about 3lbs, but I have made it a point to move and I am more mindful of what I eat/drink.

I agree - I am not as concerned about what the scale says, but how my knees and body feel. Hang in there, and good luck!!
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Thank You All
Old 07-03-2018, 07:57 PM

for replying to my post.
I appreciate your sharing your thoughts and suggestions.
I know itís up to me to get started moving and eating healthier and drinking less or not at all.
I wish you all well this summer!
Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote