Help

The VENT

Following Directions

>

Relearner

Following Directions
Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Aargh!!! Iím unsure what to do about some of my studentsí talking without permission. It seems like lately the more I instruct the fourth graders to stop talking, the more some of them talk!
I know I should keep them busy constantly in order to help with this talking...and the situation hopefully isnít as bad as it felt today...
Iím open to suggestions!

Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I knew. My Kindergartners are driving me crazy!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have taught first and second grade and had the same problem. With my first graders it helped (a little) to turn it into a game. I would time them to see how long they could work quietly. I would then set a goal (certain number of minutes) for them and if they could reach that goal they would earn a reward.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Xombee

The timer.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The timer is my faithful friend. When they see me take my phone from my pocket, they know the stopwatch is starting. I told them day one that me having my phone in my hand means I'm clocking the moments of my time that are being wasted, and I WILL get this time back. So when recess starts, they are told to stand in a line, and I get my wasted time back by making them wait on me to release them to play.

One by one, I tap each student on the shoulder to let them go. The good ones go without much of a wait. But the constant offenders get a speech about why they are still standing there. They know that an internal annoyance meter has found them lacking, and their free time is being eaten up by their disrespect.
Xombee is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Talkers
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Talkers get a post-it note on their desktop. You roam the room...anyone who talks without permission gets a checkmark on the post-it. Two/Three checks and child is late for lunch/recess.

Pretty soon your talkers with post-its on their desktop will think twice before talking.

ConnieWI is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Talking
Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Excellent advice so far!

I also sometimes recommend soft background noise (like music with no words) in really chatty classes. Sometimes I think they talk because they can't handle the silence.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest2019

suggestions
Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

1. Duct tape is used to fix almost every problem where I live. It'd be highly effective, but I am afraid with the ways schools are, you'd get fired.
2. This really works for me about 80% of the time. When I feel myself getting beyond annoyed by constant chatter, I look around and usually pick 2-3 kids. I make a huge, but quiet to do about how respectful they are. Then I grant them access to all kinds of extra privileges, much to the chagrin of the loud talkers.

They usually tone down to see what these 3 kids are getting to do. I even excuse their assignments quietly. No one is learning during that time anyway.

I have had times, I haven't had any quiet ones and had to just pick the ones who were least likely to have been heard.
Then I let the others know that they too can have these if they pay attention or get done quietly.

They very seldom have time because they wasted too much talking and I do not give them much time to make it up. It is possible though.

3. 10% of the time it doesn't work, it is usually because I forget and start harping on them which only makes it worse.
4. For the kids who still do not stop, I move them away from anyone. I have them write about what they did, what they should have been doing, and how they will do better next time.
If they have any fear of their parents, I pull them in the hall and tell them that I am going to file their paper for parent conferences, but that I will ditch it next week if I don't see the problem again that week. It helps a lot with kids whose parents care.
There are many parents who do not discipline their kids. The last 10% at least. Once I reign in all I can, I keep those disruptive types sitting where they are less likely to bother anyone.
We teach in tough times.
Guest2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

not allowed to take recess
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would subscribe to the "trade the time you should have used to work" idea. It's a natural consequence: Work first-play later.

We aren't allowed to withhold recess, and late for lunch causes problems for the lunch workers.

The closest I can get is to have students finish work while the finishers get to work with my robots. So, I try to find a preferred activity, keep track of who competed the necessary tasks, and organize their "tasks" accordingly.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Relearner

Many Thanks!!!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. I am taking your words to heart.
I will keep working on this challenge in my classroom.
Relearner is offline   Reply With Quote