Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Help with a kind. student

>

Jack

Jack

Help with a kind. student
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a kind. student that has qualified for Spec. Ed. She is working more on a pre-K level. My qustion is what type of resources are out there that are avalible for purchese that would help this child? Our Spec. Ed. teacher has very little experince with a child this young as well as resources. I know there has to be some type of program that would be good to use I just dont know where to look. Any help would be great.......

e.i.p.blues

Kindergarten woes
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work with low Kindergarteners too. It can be frustrating I know. If yours is like my school, Sp.Ed. teachers get piles of catalogs from companies that specialize in these things. Lakeshore School Supply has a great stock of hands on, tactile materials, as does ABC School Supply and others. You may need to request the Early Learning Catalog, or just visit them on-line.

On the other hand, you could just get creative and do some things like cut out some sand paper letters for tracing, buy dollar store cookie sheets and shaving cream for writing practice, or if you are not that adventurous, just use plain bird seed. Use blocks to build letters. You probably do this type of things with your class already.

If you are going to spend some money, Wilson Phonics has a curriculum that is great, called Fundations. It is designed for regular ed. K-2 classrooms, but our Resource teachers use it and love it. I use some components of it, but not exclusively.

Hope this helps. :+)
e.i.p.blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Tricia

Tricia

Pre-K teacher
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,
I worked in special ed/autism for a long time and now teach state preschool. Alot of multisensory things will help convert as much as possible. Hand writing without tears is great! Teach me language program is good. Picture cues. Real life examples/hands on/etc. That's what just jumps out right now.
Hope it helps.
What specific areas are you concerned with or is it "everything"?