Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

What to do with Pumpkins?

>

Bobbie

Bobbie

What to do with Pumpkins?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello again! I am searching for pumpkin ideas. I want to something more than the traditional painting them......and each child has brought one in...any cute or fun ideas for them to decorate them?

Any other pumpkin crafts would be appreciated for my preK too...thanks!

MommyTN

Pumpkins
Old 10-16-2005, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I did these with Kinder. a few years ago so you might have to modify a little. We made pumpkin books. Every day was a new activity and a new page for the book (this was a week long unit) I just made the pages myself.

Day one: hug a pumpkin - each child gets to "hug" a large pumpkin to get a feel for how big around it is. Then they get to cut a piece of yarn the size they think they would need to go around the pumpkin. After everybody has got their yarn, we made a graph on the board and taped up the strings under three categories: too long, too short, and just right. Then they glued a small piece of yarn on a pumpkin for their book.

Day two: Will our pumpkin float? The students get to guess if the class pumpkin will float. They write down their guesses or draw a picture to illustrate their guess. Put the pumpkin in a large bucket of water. Pumpkins will float because they are hollow inside. I always cut a small pumpkin open to show them that it is hollow inside.

Day three: How much does our pumpkin weigh? The students guess how much the pumpkin weighs and write their guess down in their book. Then weigh the pumpkin and write that guess down too.

Day four: How many seeds are in our pumpkin? You will need to cut the seeds out of the pumpkin the day before and lay them out flat to dry. I let each child have a turn at scooping out some seeds. Students guess how many seeds are in the pumpkin and write that number and the actual number down in their books. Each child gets a few seeds to glue in their book.

Day five: Eat a pumpkin! Students get to try different kinds of pumpkin recipes. We always did raw pumpkin (I just cut it into little chunks) It sounds weird but you'd be amazed how many kids loved it. It tastes a little like raw carrots. We also tried the seeds. There are lots of recipes floating around on the internet for these. They are easy to do, just throw them in a pan and roast them for a while. We also do cooked pumpkin (Other teachers could smell this stuff all the way down the hall and lined up at my door to see what we were cooking!) You put pumpkin chunks, lots of butter, cinnamon, and sugar in a pan (I usually use an electric skillet but I bet you could do this in the crock pot too) cook until they get mushy. This stuff is SO good! The kids always love it. I always let the kids color their favorite pumpkin food in their books and we made a graph of our favorites to go on bulletin board.
MommyTN is offline   Reply With Quote
AliceMae

AliceMae

Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Those are super ideas for kindergarten kids not pre k. I am the director of a private pre k- 6 th grade school and I think those concepts are to be implemnted in the kinder and first grade classes.
JessicaAnn

JessicaAnn

Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree AliceMae.
Buffy

Buffy

Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

wax for pre k???????????????

MommyTN

geez.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Um, ok, sorry. Just trying to be helpful here. I remember that when I typed this post I responded because nobody else seemed to want to. I actually taught pre-k for a while and I did do some of these things with them, and guess what? It worked with a little modification. Imagine that.

Buffy: What wax????????????????
MommyTN is offline   Reply With Quote
teacherjen03

teacherjen03

Pre-K Teacher
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do teach Pre-K and these activities are great for Pre-K! I do these activities with my children each year and they understand the concepts very well and enjoy them! We are getting ready to do them in the next two weeks and I am looking very forward to it. My kids love to experiment and pumpkins are a great food to do this with. We just finished a unit on apples and we did many of the same things with apples. Our kids are smarter than you think...don't be afraid to try it...I think you'll be surprised!

cath

Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach pre k and I think the ideas are great. Thanks MummyTN!
cath is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think my preschoolers' favorite pumpkin activity was when I cut them in half, dumped them in the texture table, and let them go to town on the insides!

We also pulled out some of the seeds. Some got roasted, some got planted. And it was awhile ago, but I think we did some math integration by measuring the sprouts that grew with Unifix cubes, and graphing their growth.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

AKindTeach

How to use pumpkins...
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

MommyTN....i think your ideas are VERY appropriate for pre-k. They are mulitilevel and hands on! Common core standards(NY state has pre-k common core) are met, and they provide lots of fun! I cannot wait to use them! Thank you!
-Christine in NYC

AKindTeach is offline   Reply With Quote