Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Space for pre-k

>

prekteach

prekteach

Space for pre-k
Old 10-17-2005, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have good ideas for the theme of space(planets etc.)?

Thanks!

Westie Lover

Not space but night & day
Old 10-30-2005, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have a choice about it, I wouldn't do space with pre-k. What I would do is day time and night time. You can focus on what they can see in the night sky vs. the day sky. It would be okay to talk about space in terms of the moon and stars but I wouldn't focus too much on planets at this age. Astronaut play with a pretend trip to the moon could be a fun dramatic play activity too. Compare the things we do at night with the things we do in the day. Do sequencing activities using bedtime rituals or the events of a typical day. You could culminate the whole thing with a pajama day at school. Everyone can wear pjs, robes, and slippers. Drink a snack of cocoa and cookies. Read favorite bedtime stories while everyone cuddles around a quilt on the grouptime rug. Everyone could bring their favorite bedtime cuddle (bear or whatever) to show and tell.

Good luck with your planning!
Westie Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

jap

Space ideas
Old 11-02-2005, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We did a huge space unit last year and it was so much fun. I did talk about the planets and constellations. I consentrated on Earth, Moon, Mars and Saturn. We looked at lots of pictures and created the planets as art projects. Painted Mars red, cut a styrofoam ball in half and glued it to either side of an old CD, I drew in white crayon on black paper the big dipper and had children place the seven sticker stars on the lines. We a model of the moon with yellow bakers clay and poked our fingers in it to make the craters. We also made astronaut suits, used a milk jug cut for the helmet, a ceral box covered in foil with two water bottles hot glued to the back for jet pack,stapled elastic to the edges of the box so it could stay on. I used white small trash bags with a head and arm holes cut in it for the shirt. We decorated it with american flag sticker and a name badge that had each childs name on it. We picked up moon rocks which were crumbled up foil with tongs, learned to count backwards to Blast off. Lots of stuff, these are jsut the few that I remember. Hope this gets your juices flowing!!
jap is offline   Reply With Quote

shortred

Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Space is so much fun!
Lg boxes become rocket ships, teachers spray painted rocks red to be moon rocks, kids wore muddy buddies (space suit) & collected space rocks with buckets & shovels.
Walk on bubble wrap pretend its "moon walking".
cooked/uncooked star shaped pasta in the sensory table.
Tinfoiled the house corner so everything was "in outer space".
shortred is offline   Reply With Quote
JessicaQV

JessicaQV

Space Theme for Pre-K
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I'm a teacher at the Challenger Learning Center of Maine. I have developed a pre-k program all about space and science. I would suggest contacting your local Challenger Learning Center for information, you should check into their ERC for free material and supplies.