Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Appliance warranties

>

SleepEatTeach

Appliance warranties
Old 07-29-2018, 06:31 AM

When purchasing a new appliance (dishwasher in my case) do you buy the protection plan? Is it worth it or is it better to just skip it? The information I was reading was all over the place. Consumer reports says to skip it. What do you do?

SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

All my appliances are from
Old 07-29-2018, 06:37 AM

Sears and I have a maintenance agreement that I renew once a year. All repairs are free and I can have them come out and check each appliance once a year. It's been great for us.

Check the warranty on your appliance. We just bought a generator and Lowe's wanted us to take the service policy, but I contacted the company and they sent me info on their warranty and it was just as good or better, actually.

I know I didn't really answer your question, but maybe the info will help.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I have mine through the gas company...
Old 07-29-2018, 07:19 AM

I know that the general advice is to skip them, but I have mine through the gas company and pay a relatively small amount through my gas bill each month. I have my washer, dryer, refrigerator, hot water heater, dishwasher and range covered. I have called their repairmen to come out for the dishwasher a few times and the washer and dryer once. What I like is because of the contract, I don't get billed for a service call for the to diagnose the problem. I don't buy protection plans for my electrical things like TVs or computers.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-29-2018, 07:23 AM

I recently bought all new appliances. My contractor went with me to order them. Both he and the salesperson said to skip them all except the refrigerator. So I bought only the refrigerator warranty.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

I usually skip them.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:36 AM

We got burned on the Sears warranty on our old dishwasher. We only needed one service call, but it was SUCH a hassle to get scheduled through their phone system! They claimed to have no techs available for at least two weeks even though I called many times. I seldom even got through to an actual person. When I did they were no help at all. I called the local store with the same result. Because I had the service agreement no local service person would touch the dishwasher for fear of voiding the warranty. At the end of the third week, I finally threatened to contact a lawyer. I got an actual person and got a refund which was nowhere near what DH had originally paid for the warranty which ended up totally useless! I will never buy another one from them and will think carefully before I buy another appliance there from just this experience even though I have owned many, many appliances and other items from them in the past. They are just not the company they used to be.

canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

SleepEatTeach

Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM

I was leaning towards not getting it, just wasn't sure. You guys have convinced me to skip it.

Quote:
Because I had the service agreement no local service person would touch the dishwasher for fear of voiding the warranty.
This is a good point. One I never thought of. Thanks everyone!
SleepEatTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

Old 07-30-2018, 04:47 AM

I, also, did my own research on this. It's advised to skip it.

I had one on a new appliance before and never had to use the warranty.

Some customers purchase one for peace of mind. If there's one appliance that would be most upsetting to do without until repairs or replacement could be made- it would most likely be the refrigerator. For that reason most people get one on the refrigerator .
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Yes
Old 07-30-2018, 10:23 AM

I used to skip them as well...but I've recently been hearing a lot of horror stories about appliances just out of the manufacturers warranty breaking to the point where it would cost more to fix than to buy another.

My parents 2 year old fridge that had a 1 year warranty that died just under 2 years. It cost them $2600 originally, and then they just had to purchase a new one because it was unfixable.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote