Help

Sixth Grade

Summer Reading

>

tchrk26

Summer Reading
Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in sixth grade and the time is getting close for me to decide what to have students do for reading with or without projects over the summer. If you have summer reading at your school, what do you have incoming sixth graders do for reading over the summer? I appreciate your input!

tchrk26 is offline   Reply With Quote

nette25

Summer REading
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have my incoming 6th graders read Hatchet and City of Ember. For Hatchet I have them write a survival guide that Brian could've used, I also have them build Brian's shelter, and I also have them do a pictorial journey since there aren't pictures in the book. My students really seem to enjoy these projects. For the City of Ember, I have my students fill out journal reponses similar to what they will see in class during the year. We then watch the movie and compare the movie and the book. They really enjoy the movie. Good luck!
nette25 is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrk26

Thank you!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much. I love Hatchet and I have heard great things about The City of Ember. It's great that it's a series too, so hopefully students would read the other books afterward! Thanks again!
tchrk26 is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

Here's Mine
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the students read one required book (which we read the sequel to) and then they can choose from 3 books for the second one. The books all fit the theme of "American History" and they have to write a 5 paragraph essay linking the two books to this theme. I also teach 7th and 8th grade and do a similar format with different books and themes. I've attached the form, if you'd like to see the ones for 7th or 8th PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Summer Reading entering 6th.docx (13.7 KB, 66 views)
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote