Help

ESL/LEP

Home language in classroom

>

lolamae

Home language in classroom
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm completing my first year as an ELL/ESL teacher. It has been rough because I am the only ELL/ESL teacher in the district. I have high hopes that next year will run so much smoother.

I was curious as to how others handled the use of your students' home language in the classroom. Being new to this, I started with an "English only" attitude, but throughout the year, I've read articles that go back and forth on the subject. I have various levels of ELL/ESL students ranging from 6th-12th graders.

So, are you an "English only" class? Why or why not?

lolamae is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

No. No. No.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Students need their home language to draw connections to English! English Language Learners are NOT blank slates! Thy do not come to you completely ignorant! They have a huge wealth of background and prior knowledge, experiences, and learning under their belt. By not allowing them access to those resources, you are holding them back.

If you have multiple students with the same language, allowing them to use their home language is essential! They are connecting to each and able to support each other through a difficult transition!

You need to read some Cummins, some Krashen, check out WiDA.us! Check out Colorin Colorado, too! Illinois has a website dedicated to their state department of ELL. You can try searching for one in your state, too. I commend and thank you for taking on a new and challenging job, but you really need to educate yourself! You are the only advocate for these students in your district, you should be searching out best practices!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

lolamae

Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

And that is why I am asking.
lolamae is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Recommend
Old 05-22-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Elteacherresource.weebly.com

Ps I hope I didnít sound rude. I was not tying to be! THANK you for reaching out!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

chris/4/pa

chris/4/pa
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been the ELL teacher in my grade level for a few years. Most of my flip charts and handouts are bilingual. Find this helps to "bridge" between the two languages. It also is a plus for my English Language Speakers because we notice cognates and make the connection to Latin roots.
Reading A to Z has books that are in both English and Spanish. Having my first year English Learners use them helps build vocabulary while teaching the strategy or skill we are learning.

chris/4/pa is offline   Reply With Quote

StoryJ

Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've found that allowing the children to help each other understand or even translate for other students actually builds their own knowledge and forces them to learn the challenging skill of translation. It often involves explaining and can actually be a great way to get someone who is a bit bored because they "already know it all" to be more involved.

Allowing them to supplement with their native tongue can open the door for you to get past those blank stares and on to real teaching. Have fun and I hope this next year goes well!
StoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote