Help

The VENT

Help!

>

Ricarda

Help!
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok so I have a student who I feel could use more support emotionally and academically. She’s a second grader who gets along well with first graders and behaves more like first graders. She’s a sweet little girl, follows directions and doesn’t cause trouble. However she is always telling me that I’m pretty, I guess she wants affection and she talks like a little kid. I teach math and she’s at an end of the year 1st grade level. She understands for the most part but forgets easily and her mom and dad who are divorced recently, do not provide much help at home with her learning. I tutor her which helps to keep her on track. In language she does receive support so she’s improving but in science the topics go over her head.

So I reached out to the head of our school because we do not have a counselor or administrators to help and I expressed my concern in a casual manner to our head of school in hopes to have an unofficial phone call and get some advice. Instead I was yelled at, told me that I wasn’t being professional when I said she doesn’t retain much information because it’s impossible not to retain anything. I get that, I wasn’t having a conversation with a parent I was being blunt, informal and just laying the facts in hopes for advice on how to handle this. This completely backfired I wish I had never reached out for help and now I’m asked to proof my case which is hard being that we do not give tests or grades at our school it’s just things I noticed when I ask her a question or do one on one. And since he’s not REALLY bad it’s hard to “prove” my case. I wasn’t trying to build something against this child I just need her to get more help. My time with her isn’t enough. And now I put my foot in my mouth and made matters worse.

What would you do to fix this problem? I almost feel like saying I had a frustrating day with her and spoke to soon and that she’s fine. Because I was yelled at made to feel like crap and this is how this director is, you never know what side of him
You’ll get

Ricarda is offline   Reply With Quote

DeeDee3073

Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you don't have tests and grades, how do you assess the students? Take anecdotal notes and what you see and specific examples of things she does and says. Along with this, select 2-3 strategies/interventions that you think would help with specific subjects. For example, for science before the lesson make vocab- picture cards for key terms. Give them to her a few days or a week or so before the lesson so she has time to practice. That's one strategy. Select 2-3 different ones. Document your use of the strategy (day and time) and the result. After 6 weeks, if it's working, awesome. If not, then try something else.

Keep the anecdotal notes and documentation of the strategies for 6 weeks. Then, go back to your director with- here are the things I have observed the student do. Here is what I have tried. Here are the results. Here's what I'm planning to do next. Here is how you can support me and the student. The student and I need __________.

Keep in mind the student is young. Make sure that what you are requesting of the student is developmentally appropriate, especially if she is a second language learner as well.
DeeDee3073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ricarda

Old 11-09-2019, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you SO much for the advice! Itís a montessori school so we donít grade. As yo teaching her terms ahead of time is a really good idea. I teach a mixed age group of 1st 2nd and 3rd graders. Science however I teacher by grade and all her peers are understanding except for her. She also seems to stick more to the the first graders socially. Itís really hard to pin point but I truly believe the information is too advanced for her so it gets boring hence she doesnít learn much. Sheíd do really well with the 1st grade group but Iím not even going to get into that cause my admin is hard. However with those tips I may be able to actually make a difference thank you so much!
Ricarda is offline   Reply With Quote