Help

The VENT

So tired about hearing about not being CPI trained

>

snazzyjazzy

So tired about hearing about not being CPI trained
Old 11-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a substitute teacher in a district that I love and I sub a lot for Special Education. I am able to deesculate children quickly but cannot receive the CPI training (restraint training) because I am not a full time employee. I am totally okay with this. I have a really good relationship with all of the SPED students with challenging behaviors. Most of the teachers (both sped and gen ed ask for my help when students are being challenging). The principal and assistant principals even have commented on how good I am at deesculating students.

There is a teacher and a para who have reminded me multiple times that I am not CPI trained and should let them handle it. I step back but it is very irritating. For example, today at the end of the day, both the teacher and the para were in the room I was subbing in (they were waiting on the final SPED bus) when I went back in after duty. When it was time to leave, one of the students gets upset and drops to the floor. I tell him that I need him to stand up before I get to 3, I start counting and he is up by 2. He reaches for my hand and I take it, the para tells me that I can't hold his hand because I am not CPI trained. The child drops to the floor again and I step back and wait for one of them to handle it, they finally do after about 3 minutes but he is screaming all the way down the hallway. I wanted to tell them that holding a child's hand does not require CPI training and could have avoided him getting upset.

snazzyjazzy is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

good grief
Old 11-11-2019, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

holding a student's hand (especially when the child initiates) is not a restraint. That's just a very odd statement. And creates more of a problem for the para and teacher, which they apparently learned the hard way.

You did well, however, not to engage in a debate with them during the meltdown. I'm sure you feel badly for the student who left school in such a state, but unfortunately as a sub you have little leeway in such fraught situations.

It is far better even for the student to have occasional bad experiences than for him to not have you available during many other times because of complaints lodged against you by regular staff.
You need to live to nurture another day.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is so ridiculous! I can't believe they did that!
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

I think they mean well...
Old 11-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sounds like an overreaction to "don't restrain kids without proper training". It's understandable in a litigious society, but sometimes people take it to far. Holding a child's hand, especially if the child OFFERS it to you, isn't a restraint. Hang in there!

sped91

Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach sped and am CPI trained. We had this discussion this fall. If a child voluntarily takes your hand to hold it, it is not a restraint. If you are holding the child's hand while they are trying to get away, it is a restraint. I have a kindergartener that holds my hand all the time walking down the hall - his choice.

sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Good Grief is right!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good Grief!

Besides, CPI training ALWAYS teaches to verbally de-escalate using deflection, distraction, comfort, etc. prior to any restraint anyway...

You are already on the right track using your own common sense.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Why aren't you allowed to take it?
I took the training as a sub; it wasn't paid, but I still got CPI certified
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote