Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

They cut out recess!!!!!!!

>

ddtt1973

They cut out recess!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I got our new schedule today and I can't believe it-----no recess allowed, not even on Friday. No recess for any reason. I teach third grade. I feel children need time to just be children.
I was just wondering--Does anyone else teach in an elementary school where recess is not allowed?
How is it working? Are there more discipline problems?

I wonder if this is a new trend? Ugggg!

ddtt1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss Sparkle

Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh. my. word. No recess! I've never heard of schools without recess. I can't imagine that being a good idea.
Miss Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

seslava

We don't have recess
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and this isn't the first school I've been at that hasn't had recess. I do take my students out occassionally, but I don't call it recess. If anyone asks I tell them that my students earned a reward for ______. Another way I've added recess is to eat lunch with my students outside and after they eat they can run around a little bit. We only have a field so the students usually just run around (This option I don't like because I give up my lunch). I also try to incorporate kinesthetic activities in my classroom so my students do get to move around during the day.
seslava is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

no recess here
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, we do have a 15 minute mid-day recess attached to the lunch break but that is it for our entire elementary school - K-5. It was fine for our 3rd graders and I don't think they missed it too much as long as I gave transition brain breaks and had lots of movement in the afternoon. I was really stressed about it at first and was looking for all sorts of reasons we should reinstate it but actually the kids were all fine without it (of course they wanted it but they don't seem to NEED it). It turned out it was not needed --- I am sure I will be flamed....

So many of our kids are running to after school activities that give them physical exercise. I know that there are plenty of our kids who did not do anything after school but go home to TV/computers/video games --- but I guess the question comes down to "are we responsible for their physical activity too?" We are responsible to an education and there is so much to fit in. The time for children to be children should be taking place outside of the school day. It made it easier to get in all of my required minutes of instruction. Also, the kids who need that physical break because they had trouble focusing or were "active" were also the kids that were hardest to pull back to work after the break. In addition, recess always took longer then scheduled by the time we got out and got back to work and it was really much more then the 10 minute break that was scheduled (especially if it was nice out). We have eliminated a lot of peer drama and bullying that took place between the different "groups" in our school and discipline has actually improved. There is not nearly as much time spent on smoothing over crying girl issues or fighting boy issues anymore that used to take up time after many recess breaks. Less time at the water fountain and on those HOT days the room smells so much better

Honestly, it was the teachers who missed it the most and still talk about it (it has been 5 years since we had it taken out of our schedules). We all miss the down time and the socialization time with each other that recess afforded -- but we are being paid to teach. Now, the younger kids (k-2) struggled more with it then our 3-5th graders and our Principal gave primary teachers permission to use professional judgement and go out if they needed a quick break-- our 5th grade teachers ended up LOVING not having the drama of the extra unstructured time. I surprised myself that it wasn't the disaster that I expected and there were plenty of upsides. After the initial transition, you may realize that it is not that bad.
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

sad
Old 08-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is sad. I'm surprised that the parents aren't protesting this.

sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 08-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine not having recess. We only have PE once a week so our kids need recess.
When do the teachers go to the bathroom? that's what we all do during recess and have those few minutes to get yourself together for the rest of the day.
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

abcteacher

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have never heard of having no recess! With the push nowadays for healthy kids, I can't believe this is allowed. Kids need the opportunity for down time to run around, socialize with friends, get a breath of fresh air, and let off steam, which is what recess provides. Plus, teachers need a break too! I would be upset.
abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wonder if this idea was discussed with parents beforehand? I can't imagine them liking the idea of no recess.

chipi

Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

At the large urban elementary school I taught at we didn't have recess. It made it soooo hard to have consequences, as I had to not only monitor my class for their entire lunch, but also take them straight up to the classroom afterwards and begin straight-away with math. There was no incentive to make good choices because nothing could be taken away. The kids lived in a super violent area where many parents kept them in after school to be safe. There was a pretty nice playground, but the school was more focused on test scores.

Adding: my class had to sit together and therefore didn't ever get to talk to kids in the other classes. I couldn't sit and build relationships with kids. Kids got NO physical outlet other than the twice a week PE class. They never got to learn team-building or cooperation skills other than what I did in class, which wasn't much because I had 32 kids in a small room. I could barely walk around let alone do seat yoga or any other activity. We didn't all fit on our rug!

All in all, it was terrible. They aren't treated as kids but robots who can fill out bubble sheets.
chipi is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

Recess
Old 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

From my understanding this is a new "wave" of thinking. Not sure why, I agree with other posters this is insane. It appears that people are forgetting that children are not little adults they need down time. While I totally hate winter recess duty, I think it is imperative that we as educators, make every attempt to stop this insanity!!!! This is another case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater .... Perhaps the way to eliminate this would be to ask for scheduled 15 minute breaks that are allowed or even mandated by other jobs.

hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

some do some don't
Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

in our district it depends on the principal at the school; however, the most anyone has is 10-15 mins per day in K-4, after that... no recess at all. However, ALL of our students have at least 55 mins of Physical Education classes at least four days a week (one day is music). State law requires so many hours of physical activity, so PE covers that requirement, not recess.

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

What no recess!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is insane. I couldn't imagine not taking my kinders outside. They need to just run around and get all their energy out. Especially with this years schedule. We do reading & writing in the morning then we have recess & lunch & start the 2nd half of the day with math. They definitely need that mental break before going into math.

I feel like school districts are forgetting that yes we are in the business of teaching kids, but they are exactly that they are kids, they need to be allowed to be kids. Instead it's all about teaching to the test & worrying about test scores. We need to find that healthy balance.
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

rasgrade1

Recess
Old 08-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We can go out for recess if we have time. Our morning is PACKED with Literacy requirements and RTI. We have 1/2 hour recess at lunch. I do Brain Break activities with the children every 30 min. to hour. It takes just a few minutes and then everybody is ready to go back to learning.
rasgrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Law
Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

They passed a state law here in Florida a few years back that says we are required to provide 30 minutes of structured physical activity daily. This is our recess time. I have to run it (would even it it was just recess). Usually my structure is "Go, Play, Be Active". If I see them standing around talking I make them walk and talk.

My parents would be up in arms if we took away recess/structured play. I had a student a few years ago when I taught fourth who would actually let me know that we hadn't been outside the full 30 minutes.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended
Crazy!he
Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Students need recess:
  • It allows them be independent, and learn how to answer the question to "what shall I do next?"
  • It allows them to think outside of the box, without a teacher telling them what to do.
  • It allows them to allows them to burn off the energy!
  • It allows them to socialize with other people.
Most employers will say they don't hire someone because of the technical knowledge, but their ability to get along with people. We are creating a generation of students and young people who have no respect or tolerance for each other, and we are paying the price as we have seen it in riot form.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

Holidays1

Recess
Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We aren't allowed to have "recess", but we are allowed to have 15 minutes of Teacher Directed Physical Activity. So I "direct" my students to run and play a game.
Holidays1 is offline   Reply With Quote

missc123

Old 08-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm shocked at the number of schools that don't have recess! We are a K-5 and have a 15 minute recess in the am and 30 minutes after lunch. I can't even imagine cutting them out.
missc123 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHoney344

Old 08-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Oh my goodness, isn't no recess illegal!? Seriously, I thought we legally had to give children 20 minutes a day....maybe just in my state?
MissHoney344 is offline   Reply With Quote

change2R

Just the opposite
Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our principal just made us increase recess time. We now have 2 - 20 minute recess instead of one 20 minute recess.
change2R is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Find some research
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I'd suggest looking for research to support your position that recess is an essential time for kids. It allows them to be better focused for the remainder of the day. It also teaches social skills. I feel so strongly that the students need recess that I'd take a longer school day to "fit" it in, if that is part of the problem! Ridiculous!
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

tmar

Recess
Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Our state also mandates at least 15 minutes of recess a day in elementary school.
tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv my Coton

UGG! is right
Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

The students need some down time. When do the students get to use the restroom and get a drink of water? What about a snack break? For that matter, what about the teachers? When do they get to use the restroom and have a little break? I can't believe the direction education is taking!
Luv my Coton is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My kids get a 20 minute morning recess and 40 minutes after lunch. I can take them out for another 10-15 minutes if I want to in the afternoon, though only do that for special occasions. Part of the philosophy of my school is to learn through play and social interaction as well as to have healthy habits for body, mind and soul. I seriously can't imagine a world with no recess!!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

glo

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Years ago were not allowed to put recess on our schedules. In my district parents got together and made a big stink about not having recess in some schools so now we have to include 15 minute recess on our schedules plus they go to PE every day for 40 minutes.
glo is offline   Reply With Quote

lisifer

Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Wow. I really think that's horrible. I do think we as educators are required to teach students that it is important to take time to be physically active as well! There are plenty of studies showing links between Brain Gym activities and increased performance in young students! Can you do a 10-15 min Brain Gym (inside or out) break in your class only?
lisifer is offline   Reply With Quote

chalktalk07

no recess
Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I teach first grade and we have a 6 day rotation for "specials" ( PE, art music library)...we only have recess on non PE days.... but I guess that is better than none!
chalktalk07 is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

I agree- UGGG!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Wow- no recess!!! We have morning recess AND lunch recess at my school. I agree with OP, kids need time to be kids - especially nowadays since kids don't play outside in the neighborhood so much anymore. They need time to figure out how to get along during unstructured time...
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

no recess
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

This flies completely in the face of all the research that says that children need recess. Another harebrained idea to get higher scores? Maybe they should rethink this approach.

Research shows that breaks in the day's routine are considered essential for satisfaction and alertness. Memory and attention are improved when learning is spaced. Children become progressively inattentive when recess is delayed, students are more on-task and less fidgety when they have recess. Hyperactive children benefit the most. Physical activity increases fitness, improved attitudes and shows improvements in test scores. Recess is one of the few opportunities to engage in social interactions and learning social skills, especially for latchkey kids. (http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-2/recess.html)

And then of course there is the question of health problems in children due to lack of physical activity.

I hope the parents protest because taking recess away is unconscionable.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

teachcraz

Unhealthy
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

In a nation that's full of overweight people (children and adults) no recess is ludicrous. We are required to provide recess on the days that we don't have P.E. Each day we go out for at least 15 mins. Kids need free time to run, play, and socialize with their peers. For those of you that are experiencing this, is this a district mandate or individual school preference?
teachcraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. C

wow.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Just when I think I've heard it all.....
I realize that recess can be drama due to the unstructured time period, but let's think about this: by not letting them have at least 15 minutes of SUPERVISED unstructured play, how will students learn to cope with "drama"? That is a life skill that is really important. We have our children so scheduled, that they can't be kids nor can they get the experience they need to deal with social situations. But, what am I thinking, test scores are so much important in the development of their future.
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote

tripteach

my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:
Honestly, it was the teachers who missed it the most and still talk about it (it has been 5 years since we had it taken out of our schedules). We all miss the down time and the socialization time with each other that recess afforded -- but we are being paid to teach.
When do YOU use the bathroom then if you are with kids all the time?

Quote:
We have eliminated a lot of peer drama and bullying that took place between the different "groups" in our school and discipline has actually improved. There is not nearly as much time spent on smoothing over crying girl issues or fighting boy issues anymore that used to take up time after many recess breaks.
But how do your students ever learn to get along with others? I consider all of those little skirmishes teaching opportunities. School isn't just about academic learning. Children need to learn skills to get along with others too- vital for them to function in the workplace.
tripteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tigerbaby

I second that...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Exactly I totally agree with "tripteach" s message. Students learn so much through play. We have all these kids acting like adults but we seem to want to skip a step and not let them be children anymore.
tigerbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Sue too

no recess
Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

We aren't allowed to use the word recess. We have to call it CPE (classroom phys ed). I basically add up the time they go to PE with the gym teacher, my health lesson taught weekly and subtract it from the state mandated time. Whatever is left, I divide and that is how much time they get (and it isn't much!) We start out by taking 2 laps around the track and then they get to play on the equipment.
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

vickia

Inactivity
Old 08-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Isn't that one of the reasons our country has many young people fighting obesity? There should be a law against preventing children from playing outside!!! I need recess too! The fresh air is healthy for all everyone. Our kids live for recess at school. Many of them are not allowed to play outside when they are home - I can't imagine taking that away from them.

I'm so thankful that we get 30 min a day with our first graders! I'd have to find a way to get it in someway somehow.
vickia is offline   Reply With Quote

frostadue

recess
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I work a a public school here in fl and I thought we were supposed to get 30 consecutive minutes per day of PE but according to my new principal that is not true anymore we can spread it out and the minutes do not have to be consecutive she says Rick (the turd) Scott passed some amendment this summer that made it so and so she took away recess from the entire school
frostadue is offline   Reply With Quote

nobox

Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

We don't have a set recess time either. We have to squeeze in play time. It is sad. Children learn from exploring, questioning, negotiating, discovering....
nobox is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

My Goodness
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I have never heard anything so terrible. We start school at 8.30 to 10.20 then 20 minutes recess, then school from 10.40-12.25, lunch and play from then until 1.10 and then school till 3pm. Luckily we hardly ever have wet weather so children get to run off their energy at these times. When it is wet we can really tell. They need a recess or break so they can eat, go to the toilet, drink and socialize.
How many people working in other jobs would not have a break. Principals who make these decisions can go to the toilet when they want.
Why can't kids just be kids. I imagine little ones would get very tired without a break.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote