Help

ARCHIVE

First day of school routine

>

ABusyTeacher

First day of school routine
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The past two years that I have been teaching, we have only had half a day of school on the first day. This was great because it allowed us to introduce the basic procedures and get the students back in the groove of things.

Well this year they are going to change it. It is going to be a full day of school that first day. Personally I think that this stinks because the students will not want to be there and it is going to be really hard for us teachers as well.

Any thoughts on what I should do with my 4th grade students all day? Obviously I will go over procedures and such, but what else? Thanks!

ABusyTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

reading
Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

try to have your most entertaining reading material available.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Old 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe in the afternoon, pair the students up and interview each other and then "Introduce" each other to the class. Some sort of getting to know you activity. Or bring in a biography in a bag about yourself and ask each student to bring in one the next day to share?
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

kabmom

1st day
Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put 4 facts on the board about myself with one of them being not true and the kids have to guess which one in not a fact about me. I then have the students write their own on whiteboards and share. We have fun trying to guess what is not true. They get very creative
kabmom is offline   Reply With Quote

007bond

First Days
Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The fourth grade teachers at my school prepare a Welcome Back Packet that we use throughout the first week. The packet contains "Getting to Know You" sheets/activities, reading and writing inventories, puzzles, an "All About Me" sheet, fun math and writing activities, a card of goal setting, etc. I may tell the students to take out a specific sheet, complete, and then share. Some of the sheets/activities take a few minutes to complete and others may take a few days to complete. This gives the students something to do while I complete things that I must do those first days of school. It is a long day that first day.

We have our students come in before the first official day of school to meet their teacher and bring in their supplies. Being able to put the supplies away before the first day is a big help. I have a supply checklist and the child and parent check the supplies off and place them in the designated places/containers.

Good luck.

007bond is offline   Reply With Quote

Audrey's mom

Get to know you project
Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like to do a name glyph. The project takes some time and most students love it. I make each student's name in big wordart bubble letters and then enlarge it to full construction paper size. Then the kids color each letter by the code. You can also give the kids stencils to trace each letter.

Here are the directions I found at busyteacherscafe:

Name Glyph

*1st letter-boy-stripes/girl-checkerboard
*2nd letter-do u have any brothers or sisters-yes-red/no-green
*3rd letter-do you have a pet-black dots-yes/no-white dots
*4th letter-Which subject do you like the most?
reading-red/math-blue/science-green/ss-purple/art-orange/music-yellow/other-brown
*5th letter-How do you get to school? walk-yellow/bus-purple/car-red/van-0ange/other-green
*6th letter-Do you like ice cream? yes-black triangle/no-white triangles
*7th letter-Do you like sports?
*yes-black stars/no-white stars
*more than seven letters color the eighth like the first one,and so on.
Audrey's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

my first day
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

our first day is a 3/4 day. i do the following:

--spend time going over my 2 expectations (be respectful and responsible) and then they brainstorm what that means (looks and sounds like) and we go over all the consequences (a bazillion positive consequences)
--they draw/color two nameplates for desk
--we spend a lot of time going over questions they want answered (i have the questions preset because they are questions *I* want them to know the answers to) and then they can ask additional questions. in here we practice our hallway walk, what our hall cubbies should look like, a fire drill (sometimes the other drills if we have time).
--i pass out back to school goodie bags and we read through, finding the items referred to (the is very last in the day)
--if time, i start my read aloud (Loser--starts out very funny and i read dramatically so they are into it)
--getting to know you activities
tia is offline   Reply With Quote