Help

BusyBoard

chatty students...please help!

>

bubbly25

chatty students...please help!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher and I have the world's chattiest class!!! I don't know what to do. I've tried being strict- doesn't work! Tried recognizing positive behavior- works for a minute! I feel like they are constantly yapping, fighting and tattling. It really is starting to effect their learning because I have to stop and wait for them to be quiet. It's not fair to the few children in the class who are ready to learn and behaving. I have tons of positive rewards instilled in my class and I use the clip system(lets just say I have to move a lot of clips). I feel like this is affecting the way that I teach... I want to do fun hands-on activities with my class but they cannot handle it therefore we have to stick with whole group instruction and I feel they get very bored when we do a lot of whole group instruction. I'm just really at a loss of what to do... I come home drained everyday and today I just came home and cried- I don't know what to do... Please offer any suggestions.

bubbly25 is offline   Reply With Quote

ShirleyHolmes

You aren't alone!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This seems to be a problem across the board! Students just don't know when to be quiet. Just don't think it's you! I don't really have any suggestions, I have the same problems. Just keep trying new things!
ShirleyHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you are going through this! It is frustrating, and you are not alone. Kids just need to learn to SHUT UP! OK, vent over! But seriously, it does take a lot of energy. Here are some suggestions that have worked for me. Sometimes you have to try several different strategies until you find some that work:
1. Put kids in rows facing the front. That eliminates some of the talking temptation.
2. Circulate around the room as you teach.
3. Put the kids' names on popsicle sticks, and pull them out to answer questions. This (in theory) makes them pay attention more.
4. Pass out tickets to students who are ready to learn. Then have a drawing at the end of the day.
5. Pass out class money when you see good behavior. Then have a class store once a week for students to spend their money.
6. Clearly state your expectations. I have a poster in my classroom that I got from my teacher store that shows Active Listening.
7. Use attention signals like "1-2-3, eyes on me; students respond 1-2 eyes on you".
8. Give kids time to talk, such as pose a question and say "Turn to your neighbor and tell them 5 nouns". Then pull a popsicle stick to check that they really shared 5 nouns.
9. Vary your activities; give kids time to move around, but be very specific, such as, "Count backward from 20 to 1 and be on the carpet by the time you reach 1".

Just remember, you are in charge! Don't let the turkeys get you down! Good luck to you, and let us know how you're doing!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Me too!!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My class is the same way. 2Teach2 thanks for all of your suggestions. I have tried a few of them, but some I have not. Just know every year is different. Last year spoiled me beacuse they were so quite and smart. Just know the count down has begun and it will be over before you know it.
fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug03

Don't worry!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My class last year was like this! They were the most talkative class I had ever had! This year's class may be a VERY close 2nd!

With them, I had to use a variety of things. I couldn't stay with one idea too long.

Some things I did:

*Had a marble jar where we would earn or lose marbles depending on their behavior. When the jar was full, we earned a special treat.

*Would write the words "FREE TIME" on the board. Every time I had to wait on them because they were talking, etc... I would erase a letter. Every letter would be "so many minutes" off of free time or an activity we were doing. This would work well because I didn't have to say anything to them. I would erase the letter and continue my teaching.

*Rearrange desk or groupings. Last year, I had to change my kids around probably once a month. Some kids just don't do well together.

*Would recognize the positive any time I saw it. I may reward with stickers, M&M's, Skittles, etc...

*Be consistent. If you say you are going to do something... follow through.

Things will get better. Don't let them drain you! If you are working on something and they are showing they can't handle it... shut it down. They may need heads on their desks for a bit to calm down and regain control. Remember YOU are in control!

Ladybug03 is offline   Reply With Quote

bubbly25

thank you
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. This week I am going to try some of those suggestions! It's nice to know that i'm not alone in this... thanks
bubbly25 is offline   Reply With Quote

skeeter770

Old 09-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

FREE TIME sounds like a good idea to try. I have a lot of boys who this might work for.
skeeter770 is offline   Reply With Quote