Social Studies

The Red Badge of Courage - Movie

>

aanders

aanders

The Red Badge of Courage - Movie
Old 12-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering if anyone might have seen this movie, "The Red Badge of Courage", and showed it in class? I just watched it this weekend. It's based on the short novel by Stephen Crane of the same name.

Anyway, it's a short movie (1 hour) about a young soldier during the American Civil War who experiences battle for the first time and grows up quick. Since it was filmed in 1951, the violence is tame yet moving enough that I think it can be appropriately shown to fifth graders.

Plus, I discovered a real gem about this movie tonight. The lead actor, Audie Murphy (who really looks young), was in real life THE most decorated American soldier of World War II! There's plenty on the Internet about him. Imagine that!

So, anyone seen this short movie or used it in class?

scgreear

scgreear

Red Badge of Courage
Old 04-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've seen and used the movie in class. Kinda slow in spots. Actual Civil War vets said Crane's story was the most realistic of all that were published (at least, while they were still alive).
Yes there's lots on the net about Audie Murphy. Here's a challenge for your students...have them locate and read the on-line first person accounts of veterans from Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc. Have them make a powerpoint telling the other students about "their" vet. Some of the sites list the vet's emails and your students may get a response to their questions!