Help

Teachers' Lounge

Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon

>

traveler1234

traveler1234

Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon
Old 10-07-2017, 03:08 PM

I'm a long time poster signed out. I've been sharing plans to travel to these national parks with my colleagues and don't want to be outed.

If anyone has been or has any advice on where to stay, restaurants, etc., I'd greatly appreciate it. It would be a week long trip in mid-June. TIA!

BigwigRabbit

Comfort Inn
Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM

We stayed at the Comfort Inn at St. George this summer. It was a good value. Zion is like Disneyland (crowded) so be prepared for that. If there is no parking in the lot, park in the furthest shuttle stop from the park. You'll find parking easier and the shuttle will be empty when it picks you up. The closer you park to the park, the less likely there will be a space on the shuttle. Our shuttle passed at least two stops full of people because it was full.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM

If you want a nice place in St George stay at the Inn on the Cliff or rent a house. Definitely go to Kolob Canyon. I think itís like mile 39 on the freeway. Beautiful and not so crowded

Havenít been to Bryce for awhile. You could stay at Rubyís Inn. Or stay at Brianhead and drive in to the park. Cedar Breaks is not to be missed either

It does get hot in the summer and you canít drive through Zion they have shuttles
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Zion
Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 PM

As BigWigRabbit said, June will be crowded. If you are into hiking and don't have a fear of heights, Angels Landing is a great trail with a beautiful view.
When DH and I go to Zion, we stay in Springdale, which is the small town next to Zion. Last New Year's Eve we stayed in a nice hotel with an awesome view and we were the only guests. The park was almost empty too, but the Angels Landing trail was closed due to the icy conditions. There is a nice mom-and-pop Thai restaurant in Springdale.
I haven't been in Bryce in years, so I can't say much about it.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 PM

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn and the Cliffrose in Springdale and had good experiences at both. June will be hot and busy, but beautiful. Springdale has a variety of restaurants and some shopping as well. We found some little cabins near Bryce, I can't remember the little town we were in. There are a couple of hotels near the park entrance but you probably need to book really early. I agree that Cedar Breaks is worth a trip. We found it by accident but enjoyed our visit.

MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 10-08-2017, 06:00 AM

Bryce Canyon is one of my favorite NP.
You must go to Cedar Breaks and Kolob too!
If you can go at the end of June, the Cedar City Shakespeare festival is really worth it:
https://www.bard.org/plays/2018/

It's not as hot in Bryce as in Zion but both places are so beautiful...
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ruby's
Old 10-08-2017, 02:37 PM

We had wanted to stay at a place called Ruby's, but it was full when I went to make the reservation. I think a lot of the bus tours stay there, but it had a good location. We stayed at a Comfort Inn in Cedar City. It was convenient to both parks, and we went to Cedar Breaks, too. Enjoy your trip. I am very jealous!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Cedar City
Old 10-08-2017, 04:22 PM

I second WacSingLof's post on the Cedar City Shakespeare festival. DH and I just happened to be there last year in summer and learned from the staff at the hotel where we were staying about the festival. We got tickets and saw The Three Musketeers that evening. So much fun. We stayed in Cedar City again this year as it is half way on our road trip between Jackson WY and So Cal, but arrived too late in the evening to watch a play. There isn't much else in Cedar City, and I have not been crazy about their restaurants.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote