Help

ARCHIVE

interactive white board as a literacy station

>

NYshopgirl

interactive white board as a literacy station
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone here use (or has anyone thought of) using their interactive white board (smart or promethean?) as a literacy station during Reader's Workshop? I am contemplating this and am wondering...

1.) What do students do at this station?
2.) Is it distracting to other students?
3.) Any benefits/problems that come immediately to mind?

Thanks!

NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Julie3rd

Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used my Promethean Board as a math station during the last week of school. I had the groups working on an interactive website. The other students were busy at other stations, so it did not seem to distract them. Like I mentioned, I used mine during the last week of school, so the noise level was not a huge issue. Depending on what you have the groups working on at the board, the noise may be disruptive to the other students. I would just model how you want it used and give it a try. If you find it is too noisy/disruptive change the station. I used small groups of 3-4 students.
Julie3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

No
Old 06-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've thought about it, but I use my board all the time for my program. I've made a ton of stuff to use on it. The bulbs are so expensive and I'm afraid of using up my bulb that way. I'd rather burn a bulb through my lessons. It's all interactive anyways, so the kids get to use it a lot. My bulb costs 463 bucks to replace it.
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have and it worked wonderfully! (surprisingly)

I downloaded some activities from the web that corresponded to what we were studying...prefixes/suffixes/root words, contractions, etc. Even word work one week.

I did tell the kids ahead of time that if it became a distraction, we wouldn't be able to use it anymore. They did so well, that we used it daily for weeks. Then, state testing hit, and the 'fun' had to leave our classroom.

Now, I don't know much about replacing a bulb! Is that in the projector or the Smart Board? This was my first year with a board, so I suppose that issue will come up next year?
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Gobdid

Center Use
Old 06-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use my SmartBoard during Centers/Guided Reading all of the time. I have a bunch of math & grammar sites bookmarked on my BLOG, so the kids can go to those very quickly. I have also used the Smartboard as a follow up to a BrainPop Jr. Clip the kids saw earlier in the day. (These are fun short movies about science, math, language arts or health topics with characters the kids really listen to.) They usually have a game reviewing the skill that the kids just learned about on the page where you clicked on the movie. They love it when the Smartboard turns into a BrainPop Game!!! Another thing I do with it is pull up the Timeliner software and have the kids create a timeline around date cards I have made for certain people we study in our social studies curriculum.

Gobdid is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Bulb
Old 06-08-2009, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The bulb is in the projector for ceiling mounted projectors. We have lost 5 bulbs this year, so I am being very careful with my projector. At nearly 500 dollars a bulb, no one could afford to replace all those.
soph is offline   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

board
Old 06-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

please let us know how this works out.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

newtch08

Old 06-08-2009, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have thought about this, but the bulb is an issue. I went through my bulb this year because I used it all the time (it was already used when the year started). Hopefully another one will be ordered before next year starts!!

I think it could be interesting to have the rotation chart on the Smart Board for centers.
newtch08 is offline   Reply With Quote

NYshopgirl

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I haven't thought of that! It would be SO amazing to have the rotations chart up.... then I wouldn't have to change it everyday! I wonder how I could manage that!
NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote