Help

ARCHIVE

Spelling test question/sentence dictation

>

beahappygirl

Spelling test question/sentence dictation
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't currently do this but would like to start it next year. I am wondering if anyone dictates a sentence for their spelling test that the kids have to write? If you do, can you tell me how you do this? Do you give the sentence with the spelling words at the beginning of the week? How do you decide what your sentence is? Anything else you can think of?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

beahappygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

imafive

dictation
Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I dictate two sentences on the day of the test. They each have three spelling words with at least 8 words in the sentence. The other words are high frequency words. I also grade for capitalization and correct punctuation.
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I did two or three sentences each week
Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but I did not provide them to study. They contained only word wall words and words based on the phonics pattern being studied that week, but not necessarily from the spelling list. Capitalization and punctuation counted.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

CindyL

spelling test
Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dictate two sentences. The sentences each contain at least two of the spelling words and other high frequency words. It is amazing how many students spell the spelling words correctly on the front for the test part, but when they turn the paper over to write the sentences, they misspell the spelling word they correctly wrote on the front. We also grade this for capitalization and punctuation. I give ten points for the two sentences and subtract mistakes from ten. We use this as a writing grade.
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

jillymar

Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In the past I have given a regular test for the spelling words and then have dictation sentences as well. Next year I am considering just giving the spelling test in dictation form because we want kids to spell words correctly in context so why not test them that way! Not to mention it helps keep them accountable for punctuation and capitalization.

jillymar is offline   Reply With Quote

tchgrd2

Old 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like your way of doing it. We currently give the students the sentences ahead of time and many of them just memorize for the test and then the next day will spell the same words wrong. I wnat to revamp my spelling for next year. Thanks for the idea!
tchgrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote

proseolg

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I start the beginning of the year with 2 sentences and by the end of the year they have 5. I do not give them ahead of time to study. These include spelling words, word wall words and whatever we are studying in grammar (capitals for names, book titles, quotations, commas in a series etc.) Then, I get a grammar grade and a spelling grade.
proseolg is offline   Reply With Quote

Woble27

Spelling sentence
Old 06-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

On my weekly test, I give one dictation sentece on the front that they have had all week to practice. (it even goest home in our weekly newsletter) THEN on the back they have to make up their own sentence using at least one spelling word in it.
Woble27 is offline   Reply With Quote

ddrexler

same as
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

imafive, but our dictation sentences include high frequency words from past weeks. We also grade for capitalization and punctuation. We have a spot on our report called "knows daily assigned words" along with "spelling words", so we use the dictation sentences for that category.
ddrexler is offline   Reply With Quote

armybrat

Dictation
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I send home two sentences with the spelling list at the beginning of the week and then, for the test, give two more that we practiced during the week. I give them a sentence a day to write on their slates then I write the sentence on the board, calling attention to a new spelling pattern, sight word, punctuation, and capitalization. Each word is worth one point, each capital letter is worth one, and each piece of punctuation is worth one. Thankfully, the sentences are all part of our spelling program so I don't have to think of my own--so many variables to consider!

armybrat is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

Spelling/Dictation
Old 06-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I do sentence dictation on Thursdays. They get five sentences. One homework assignment that my students get is to write a sentences using spelling words. I usually choose my sentences from there with a little tweaking. Our spelling book provides sentences, but they don't have much meat to them.

On Fridays, I give the regular, old school spelling tests.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

spunky7777

Dictation
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I teach first, but I too gave spelling dictation. I started with two short sentences using spelling words and word wall words. I also counted for capitalization and punctuation and by the end of the year we were doing 3 rather long sentences. I didn't send them home to study. I wanted them to apply information we are learning.
spunky7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

leimonade

Friday spelling
Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My sentences come from the back of the teacher's book. There are 6 sentences every week(a total of 12 weekly words). Two of these words are in each sentence. As each week progresses I test the current words, BUT old words from previous chapters are also added to the sentences. Many of the words are also from the 1st grade list. By the end of the year, almost all the words in the sentences are spelling words. Most sentences are from 6-10 words long by then. I like these sentences because it keeps them accountable for words they have already learned. I don't supply the sentences ahead of time. I also can get a language grade from sentences.
leimonade is offline   Reply With Quote