Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Emergency Sub Plans

>

sbshortcake

Emergency Sub Plans
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach science..

What are some good activities for emergency sub plans?
Any ideas beyond reading/answering questions...

THANK YOU!!

sbshortcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss.Lucy

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would look at Pinterest and try to find some easy/inexpensive experiments. Most of the ones on there are very simple and could be done in a class period.
Miss.Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 08-14-2012, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't teach science, but I teach French, which subs generally can't help with, so I need to have activities the kids can do pretty much on their own. Most of my activities involve small groups, which I have already listed out for the sub so there are no issues with kids trying to form their own groups.

You could do a jigsaw activity : Give them something to read --- a magazine article or a photocopied chapter from a different textbook ---and have it already divided up into sections ( determined by you. ) Each group has to make a poster with bullet points of the important information from their section, and relevant illustrations or diagrams too, and present it to the class. You could even have a pre-made worksheet covering the whole article / chapter--- maybe a fill-in-the-blank or CLOZE activity --- that the kids have to fill in as each group does its presentation. If this is going to be an emergency sub activity, just make sure you always have plenty of posterboard ( or butcher paper ) and markers on hand for the sub, and be sure to indicate in your emergency sub plans where to find them.

Another thing I often have my kids do when I'm subbing is board games. I have discovered that middle schoolers and even high schoolers LOVE to play little kid board games once in a while -- games like Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. Pretty much everyone already knows how to play, and they're very simple to learn if someone is not familiar with the game. The catch is, though, that I have a large stack of review questions to go with each gameboard. Before each student's turn, he or she has to draw the top card and answer the question correctly or he / she forfeits his turn. I picked up the board games at garage sales, or at Christmastime sometimes Walmart or Target sells them really cheaply --- less than $5 each. I have about 7 games total, enough to have groups of 4 or 5 sitting around the room playing. You can print up the review questions on card stock and cut them up; or, alternatively, on labels which you then put on index cards. I would suggest about 100 questions in a stack ( though all my stacks have the same 100 questions. ) After they've played the games a couple of times, I change out the stacks with new questions, though you probably don't really have to. I would suggest having them play at least once when you are there, early in the year; so they know what to do the first time they have to do it with a sub. You could start the year out with questions about material they should have learned in previous years.
Mme Escargot is online now   Reply With Quote

sbshortcake

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for all the great ideas! I will look at Pinterest for some experiments and using Jigsaw for reading would be great. The Candy land review game sounds cute! I appreciate all the help!
sbshortcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught science, my emergency sub plan was to create posters illustrating lab safety. I had the purchased ones, but once the classes and I became established, we would refer to them during our own lab experiences. They can really "personalize" them.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

hrslvr

Science Emergency Lesson Plans
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my sub folder, I have a copy of a couple of current events articles. You could have them read the article and then do something with it such as write a summary, tell 3 things they already knew, tell 3 things that they learned, rate the article, find the main idea, and make up a new title for the article.

I also have a concept ladder. It looks like boxes arranged in stair steps. I have them read a lesson from their textbook, or choose a lesson we have just completed. They have to write the concept (main idea) of the lesson in the top box. They then have to write a question and answer in each box. We do these more than once, so they know how to write a good question when a sub is there. After a set amount of time, we play a game with the questions they wrote. It is called "Stump the Expert." I choose 6 kids to be the 'experts.' I call on a student to ask a question. They choose the person they want to challenge, and then ask one of the questions they have written. If the person gets it correct, they get to stay. If they get it wrong, the person asking the question must answer it correctly, and then gets to trade places and then becomes one of the experts. The kids really like this game, and it usually takes most of the period to complete everything.
hrslvr is offline   Reply With Quote