Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Pots and Pans HELP!

>

LuvAGoodBook

Pots and Pans HELP!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So we are looking for good pots and pans. On our bridal registry we originally put these because the salesman at Bed Bath and Beyond convinced us to:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...&sku=16619191&

They are Non-Stick and Stainless Steel. I remember him saying Non-Stick was good for cooking healthy and I forget why stainless steal was good. But what was great about these pots and pans was they COULD go in the dishwasher which is rare for stainless steel!

So my first question is does anyone have a great set that is dishwasher safe that is Stainless Steel AND non stick because I think these are too much to have on our register.

My second questions is, in the interm, we need pots and pans to cook with before my shower. We obviously don't want to spend too much but want ones that will get us through.

Has anyone used either of the following:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbra...okware+Set.jsp

or

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbra...okware+Set.jsp

Thanks!

peggy27

Old 09-14-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have had a set of calaphon, not the nonstick, for over 27 years now. They barely look used. I love them.

subczy

we use
Old 09-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

we use kitchenaid. They are not so expensive that you can't replace them easily and they come in fun colors.

I was watching dr. oz and he went off about tephlon coatings and non stick pans but then my kids started making noise - I keep meaning to look up why they are bad and switch if I need to, but haven't yet. you might want to before you buy (or they buy ). i think they are supposed to be better b/c you dont' need butter or whatever to cook, but it also takes away flavor jmho and if it isn't healthy b/c of a chemical I would think that would be worse than a little butter or evo

Valone

Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have Lifetime Cookware by West Bend (Wisconsin company). They are around 20 years old now, with a LIFETIME guarantee.

chipi

Old 09-15-2012, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think TAHE MOST important thing when it comes to cooking with any pan is to not cook at too high of a heat. I have stainless steel pans from Costco and LOVE them. They have no poisonous coating at all. I don't like that it can chip off and get into my food.

Some foods that do 'stick' just need a a tablespoon of vinegar with some water to soak, and then the 'stuck on' part slides right off. In fancy cooking they call this deglazing, and can also be done with wine.

Nothing I cook sticks to the pans if I don't have the heat higher than it needs to be. When in doubt, turn the heat down. Or up, depending (meats that you're 'stir-frying' need higher heat to sizzle them, and time to sear rather than constant stirring.)

Oh geez, this was sooooooo not the answer you're looking for. Sorry. I like info when I'm making decisions, so often I think to share info rather than giving direct answers.

So:
No we don't have stainless and nonstick. I DO think you should keep the set on your registry though. You might be surprised. Or people will give you a gift card that you can combine and get the set afterwards.

In the mean time, buy simple ones, even at BigLots or Ross or Homegoods. The cheaper the shorter life span the pans will have, but they'll take you through your wedding.

beachygrl

stainless steel
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There are several brands of good quality stainless steel. The advantage of stainless is that it heats quickly, cooks evenly, and resists warping. Cast iron cooks beautifully, but is really heavy, and has to be handled appropriately so that it doesn't rust.

The problem with non-stick coatings (all of them, every single brand) is that they eventually begin to flake. When that happens, microscopic bits of the chemicals attach to your food, ending up in your blood. Detectable levels of these various chemicals are found in the blood of many US citizens, including our children. Those pans need to be discarded as soon as they scratch or start flaking.