Social Studies

Good methods for ESL class?

>

c green

c green

Good methods for ESL class?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've got a group doing US history--middle schoolers. They have an incredibly hard time with concepts and sequence of events, not so much because of language as immaturity. They do work incredibly quickly, and then shout and play. They are incredulous when I tell them they have to do it over.

Ideas? Today I tried physically acting out an event in class--"You're King James. This table is Parliament," but they seemed to take it as a chance to scream more, and I don't know if we're figuring anything out.

Has anyone got some techniques that might work? I've tried cartooning, and some graphic organizers. So far, nothing much. How do you communicate the IDEA of history to students? My guys seem to have an incredibly hard time with it.

JMJ

JMJ

Esl
Old 02-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! If language is the conern, try using realia, commands, hands-on activities. For example, students could do a timeline of their own lives or their families to give them a concept of history and time. You can also ask them to tell you stories from their ####ries history and culture as a warm-up, then you can use that to introduce the lesson. You could even have the students fill in a Venn diagram comparing and contrasting the two.

If it is classroom management, I saw a brilliant idea on a teacher website that worked wonders with our urban 4th graders. It involves a prize of some sort; that is up to you. Basically, students work in groups of 5-7 students, and they have to answer questions. The key is to give each student a different color marker/pencil to write with, and you ask a question that has a number of answers (for example, "What were some forms of transportation in 1900?").

The trick is that they EACH write one answer and pass it, and they will get a point for each for each correct answer at the end of a specified amount of time (1 minute or so). AND their team loses a point every time you hear them talking. The group or top two groups at the end of the activity (you decide the # of questions) will win the prize or reward. It works, because the students want to win and will work to keep their classmates complying with the rules. Best of luck!
ESL ideas

ESL ideas

Management
Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try doing a marbles in the jar technique where they can earn marbles for doing things they should be doing. Answering questions correctly, following directions, encouraging eachother, etc. After the jar is filled they get a reward of some sort, free time wiht their favorite activity, 20 min of game time, or something that suits them. Good luck!