Help

The VENT

Not sure this is a vent but here goes

>

Violet4

Not sure this is a vent but here goes
Old 10-28-2019, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There are definitely two types of teachers. Okay there are many types but here are two types

1) the ones who adopt the philosophy that if it doesn't get done at work then it will get done tomorrow or eventually (more often than not this is me).

2) the ones who post on social media about the 20 hours they put in outside of the classroom during the week and say "our work never ends!!!"

It might be because of the subject I teach but I just don't ever have to put in 20 hours outside of work.

Does anyone else try to leave work at work?

I know with my current circumstances I really do have to leave it behind for my sanity.

Having one of those "is it just me" moments...

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Work Hours
Old 10-28-2019, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was teaching I got my work done at school. I arrived quite early so that things could get completed before most teachers were in the building. I left when my contract day ended and never brought work home. I got tired of teachers bragging about how much time they spent working outside of regular hours.

Last edited by travelingfar; 10-28-2019 at 09:42 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 10-28-2019, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I used to be the "workaholic" teacher. Then life got real...stress illness, body issues. So I changed to the teacher who leaves schoolwork at school. Sometimes the "workaholic" returns and causes havoc. I was that workaholic yesterday, but...I needed grades done so I could get it off my mind to continue with my other work.

Itís a struggle every day.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 10-28-2019, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work with those 2 types and more! I work about 3 extra hours a week by staying late one day a week to check off the to-do list that never shrinks. On the weekend, I spend another hour or so just reviewing lesson plans (I plan about a month ahead of time) and catching up on my library's social media activity. It's a blessing that I no longer have to submit grades or administer standardized tests of any kind.

When I was in my first 5 years of teaching, I'm sure I put in a TON of hours. Had there been FB, I doubt I would've posted about it. I figured out, though, that it's not worth my energy to judge how teachers spend their time, or how much time they spend. Just don't expect me to offer sympathy or a medal.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Working hours
Old 10-28-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My first few years I worked 6 days a week. After about 5 years, I started cutting back a lot. My last ten years, I went in early to 90% of my work done.

On Fridays I brought home homework folders to review and replace, and if there had been a math test (which were ginormous) those came home, too. That was it.

The work is never, ever, ever all done. So I learned to do what kept me going without breaking myself.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am on year 34, and I NEVER bring work home. I will arrive early and stay late, but when I leave school, the work stays there. Of course, that doesn't count the sleepless nights spent worrying about work, but that's another issue!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Iím on year 16. This is the first year in years Iíve had to bring work home. I was able to get it all done at school. Not this year.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 10-28-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

20+ years of teaching here. I don't bring any work home but I bust my behind to get as much done as possible during the school day. I don't sit in the lounge for lunch. I don't spend time chit chatting with people.

I don't go into the school building over the summer either. Some argue that it's not a choice.

It sure is a choice for me.

------------------------------

I work hard during my contract hours. Outside those contract hours, it's time for me.
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Changes in the job...
Old 10-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I got pretty good at leaving my job at school until about 5-6 years ago. The state forced the districts to adopt new evaluation systems, and the Common Core was also adopted. We went from one faculty meeting a month to every Monday, and with the evaluation system came additional work such as increased data collection and reporting, a documentation log, a standards-based report card that took a lot of after school work to create and modify, making sure you had the evidence to support the standards-based grading which meant increased communication with parents, and both announced and unannounced observations, including a lengthy pre-observation questionnaire.

I always came in early and tried to leave by 4. In the past, I was able to get my lesson plans written over two days by coming in early on Thursday and Friday and working on them at school. Couldn't do that any longer with all the changes. I opted to retire a couple of years before I planned because having a life outside of school was important to me and I began to resent how hard I had to struggle to get everything that was required done in the time frame given to us. And then, the next wave of work would be tossed our way.

That being said, anything anyone can do to have a life out of school is important for our mental and physical well-being, especially if you have a family. I just wish the districts made it easier instead of harder. I honestly don't feel that additional work and reporting made my students better or me a stronger teacher.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I stopped taking work home years ago. Occasionally I will do computer work at home on a weekend, but even that is rare. Papers donít leave my classroom.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 10-28-2019, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I try to arrive and leave at contract time. I rarely ever bring anything home. I gave my time away for free for years. I no longer do that.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do not usually work at home unless there is some sort of project I am interested in getting done. I hit a point in my career when I decided that I needed to have a life outside of my career and the stress was killing me. I work through lunch and multitask throughout the day to get things done. Sometimes I stay later, but when I leave the work stays at work. I Work with several people who are at work everyday late - if they would stop socializing during the workday, they wouldnít have to work late.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 10-29-2019, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
. When I was teaching I got my work done at school. I arrived quite early so that things could get completed before most teachers were in the building. I left when my contract day ended and never brought work home. I got tired of teachers bragging about how much time they spent working outside of regular hours.
Imtriy to get everything complete at school and get there really early as well, but getting there early is STILL working outside of regular hours!
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 10-29-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I get to work about an hour before my contract start time each day in order to get things ready. I almost always leave at my contract time. I do bring a little bit of work home to do but it usually doesn't amount to more than an hour a day. I definitely wouldn't spend 20 hours a week outside of school doing work. There has to be some kind of work/life balance. I use my free time at school wisely, don't grade every single assignment, and don't go too crazy with decorating my classroom. I'm comfortable with the amount of time I put into my job and everything that needs to get done gets done. I am also able to have time to relax at home, watch my tv shows, and spend time with my husband, family, and friends.
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I work very close to contract hours. I will occasionally do stuff like emails at home. A couple of years ago I was at an off campus PD with several of our "workaholic" teachers. They were all going on and on during the breaks about how they "can't work at work" and just don't even try to get anything done during the school day. 100% of work that is not being in front of students teaching is done at home for them. That was very eye opening. We are required to be there 30 minutes before and after students, our lunch is 40 minutes, and our plan is 50 minutes. That is over 2 hours per DAY that they are wasting!

I spend before/after school contract time, lunch, and planning working. If I am sitting there waiting for 3 minutes for a staff meeting/PD to start, I am getting something done on my computer. I am also very efficient. IMO the vast majority of the time the workaholics are not really even doing "more work." They are just bad at managing their time and getting it done, and/or they are spending a ton of time on stuff that is "fluff" and not necessary.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-29-2019, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am the third type-I put in those extra 20 hours, but dont post anything to social media because a-I despise it, b-I feel no need to be throw covert calls for attention and validation because I try to get those from within, and c-I dont see anyone outside of education understanding anyway.

I teach all subjects everyday without any "prep periods" which means I need to a lot of prep time beyond the school day. I also teach after school intervention groups for an hour a day 4 days a week. I also work an additional stipended position that takes up like 3 times as much time as the stipend pays for. I am also the union rep for my school which takes up more time and adds on more meeting to the mix. Its a 60 hour work week the beginning of the year-but after Christmas I usually have to force myself to reign it in since its not sustainable all year for me, and hopefully, at that point my parents and students need a little less of me from all the time I put into the first half of the year.

Ack its still exhausting, I just cant do all the things that need doing, and all the things that I said "yes" to in a 40 hour week.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote