Second Grade

Grading papers

>

learn

Grading papers
Old 12-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT,

My first year in second grade and it seems like a lot of grading. Any tips on how to get these done quickly throughout the week? I try to grade nightly so that it does not pile up. I also try to grade classwork during the weekday in class, but sometimes it gets too much.

On another note, with everything that needs to be fitted in the school day, how is everyone fitting in writing?

Thank you.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't grade everything. Glance at it, stick a sticker on it and call it done. Decide what you have to grade and otherwise consider it practice. You don't even have to send everything home... Just send the graded items. Sometimes I don't grade a whole paper, either, just a sample.

I like to have my kids do exit slips, too. Easier to grade because they are smaller and I can carry them around easier.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

Thank you...
Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What are exit slips?

Any idea on writing how to fit it in weekly, practice and grade the papers?

I normally give one week of practice or more, then check one paper weekly and grade within the two weeks a paper. Would this be appropriate to do. It is hard getting the practice in during the day among the science, social studies, math and language arts.
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Exit slips (we call them exit tickets) are short sets of problems that you can look at quickly...say one or two problems that show each student's understanding of what you taught. Also, not everything needs to be paper and pencil work. White board work to check for understanding is perfectly acceptable. You definitely don't have to check or grade every paper the students do. I've been known to do a quick check off for completion and then throw the papers into the round file. (Shhh, don't tell my students!) During Math time, I usually check each student's work as he/she finishes, then they work on something else during their 'free' time, such as a counting book, computer work, math facts, etc.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote