Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Landlord question

>

Violet4

Landlord question
Old 09-26-2019, 03:13 AM

My living situation is not bad, I just had two frustrations come up recently.

Occasionally my landlord will text my roommates and I and say that there is an appointment with a repair company and that she needs somebody home in the afternoon (this time it was 12pm). I do have one roommate who is sometimes home in the afternoon but the rest of us are of course working.

this time none of us can be around and she said that she will try to work something out which I guess is good. I just thought the request was strange. Isn't it the responsibility of the landlord to be around when there is a repair?

It's the way she phrases things .... "I need someone to be home in the afternoon."

Um, ok... we need to keep our jobs, sorry.

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 AM

That sounds crazy. I would call her and tell her (the obvious) that we are at work. I agree that if she is scheduling this, she should be there.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Overstep
Old 09-26-2019, 04:50 AM

My family owns an apartment building and we would never speak to a tenant like that. It is the landlords job to be available for repairs. She is putting her responsibilities onto you!
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Landlords...
Old 09-26-2019, 05:15 AM

make appointments for repairs etc. and then notify tenants that they will be there with the workmen at a specific date and time.

You and your roommates need to keep responding to her requests, with..thank you for notifying us, we will make sure the apartment is ready when you and the repair person comes.

Last edited by chipmunky; 09-26-2019 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling, I didn't have my coffee before I wrote
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Landlord question
Old 09-26-2019, 06:10 AM

What Chipmunky said. A landlord must notify you of someone entering your home, but you are not mandated to be there.

Plus, I would not want to be home alone with someone working in my home that I didnít hire/know.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Thank you
Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM

I think the landlord and I will be having a conversation soon. The lease might be worded in such a way that we are expected to be there but I'm wondering if she can amend that.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I am wondering if
Old 09-26-2019, 01:11 PM

there is a clause like that in a lease if it is really legal. If your lease demands you to be there, then the landlord would be expected to clear the date with you before making an appointment with a repair person.
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Snicklesnack

Landlord
Old 09-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Iím a landlord, and I cannot imagine making such a demand of a tenant. Our contract says that we must give 24 hours notice to enter the home for scheduled maintenance repairs. They can be there or not, we just let them know we are coming. If they request service from us for an unexpected repair (refrigerator not working, dishwasher broke, etc) we of course go to fix it ASAP and the notice isnít necessary.....because they asked for it. It would be absurd to expect them to be on site at our whim.
Snicklesnack is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

Hmmm
Old 09-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Sometimes the owner just wants to do an inspection...to see you are taking care of the place.

When i was an owner with a rental my tennants arranged the repairs and i paid for them. My tennants were super agreeable, ideal people really.

If your landlord needs you to be there then she should let you say when you can accommodate. I would not answer to any orders, rather call back and ask for an appointment time that works.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 09-26-2019, 03:44 PM

I am currently renting- waiting for my house to finish being built.

My landlord lives in California. Iím in Texas. So itís up to me to be there.

But I would let her know that if you need to be home during the day, a week notice at the minimum for you and roommates to figure out who can take off, make arrangements.

techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote