Help

The VENT

Done already

>

70Primrose

Done already
Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been feel so upset because I never feel any sense of accomplishment teaching. The stack of papers to grade never goes away and the strugglers never quiet get it! Nothing is ever good enough for my P. Although there are others at the school that their work is always showcased and gold stars are thrown at them and their name is constantly thrown in others faces. 😖 It makes me not want to try anymore.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Since you've posted here regularly about your unhappiness with your job, the venting itself doesn't seem to be helpful to you. If you can't quit, then you need to change something, even if it's only your attitude. Often talking with a real professional can give you some clarity, strategies, and relief for you situation. See if you can find a good counselor. You want to improve your situation, not just post your frustration.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-01-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Many post here frustrated and unhappy and I have sympathy for all who feel beaten down by the system.
70Primrose,I hope you find some supportive friends who will lift you up when you are down. Answers to your working conditions are often found when chatting with supportive people or just venting to a partner who is good at listening. Best of luck to you!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This board is the Vent board! You are expected to vent here - this should be your safe place to pour out your feelings.

And yes, you have reason to vent. Teaching is not an easy job - the work is never done, and working with kids can be fun but also is emotionally exhausting. Admin often seems to forget the struggles of our jobs, and pile on more. And admin having favorites is demoralizing!

I hope you find a way to have to grade less and enjoy your students more! But first, take care of yourself. Do something for you that you enjoy. Don't let the grading take away your personal time!

Cassyree, you may have meant well with your post, but if you were responding to me that way, I'd be hurt.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Feel free to vent here.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Dutchgirl, I completely agree with you.

Express your feelings, and talk it out, write it out to make you feel a bit better. We are here to lend an ear and maybe provide helpful advice.

LaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Vent as much as you need
Old 10-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If a work situation is bad, there's bound to be more than one vent worthy day. Sometimes even if I check in with a friend or family member on a regular basis about very similar problems just hearing them encourage me the pushes me through another day.

What I'm trying to say is, vent away here. Sometimes we need to just not feel alone.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

So sorry...
Old 10-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am retired now, but I can relate to your post. We had a wonderful, well-respected long-term principal for many years. Unfortunately, she developed terminal cancer and passed away. She wasn't perfect, but I feel she got me as a teacher, and a person. A much younger principal with much less experience was hired to replace her. We had an interim principal after she died who was a retired superintendent with limited elementary experience. I never had problems with him, but I felt he did not value me professionally. Then, a much younger female principal was hired. From the beginning, I never felt she gave any credence to my thoughts, and she was very businesslike an did not seem to care about many of us as individuals. I am fairly quiet, and saw others at my grade level and elsewhere getting opportunities to be showcased that I never got. On two occasions, I was supposed to work with a high school teacher on a project and also have my classroom be a lab for the literacy consultant and she made other choices. I never felt my evaluations truly reflected my performance, and while I was never partially effective, I never shone in most areas according to her. By my last year, I realized I would never be highly effective under her, and I did stop striving for that kind of excellence because the price was too high in terms of stress and pressure. I still tried for my students as best I could, but with nothing being good enough for her, it took its toll. In my last evaluation, I actually wrote a rebuttal to some of the nitpicky things she constantly criticized, so matter what I did to address them. It probably was not read by anyone other than her, but I felt better for having written it. Good luck to you. Just being noticed once in awhile, particularly when I had some difficult classes, would have made all the difference to me. I totally get it.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-01-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm sorry you feel this way! Teaching is very hard, that's for sure. If you can try to just focus on your students and meeting their needs and not let your principal bother you, that can sometimes be helpful. I struggle sometimes with feeling like I'm not making any headway with some of my students, but I have to sit back and look at the baby steps they are making. And then, by the end of the year, you will see just how far some of them have come. Sometimes you just have to ignore what everybody else is doing and focus on doing what you feel is best for your own class.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 10-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wish there was a ❤️ button for the replies. I would ❤️ most. As for the first reply I am going to think they meant well.That is actually one of the things my P criticizes is my emails. She feels they are not soft enough. I tend to be straightforward,very truthful. I donít mean things in a bad way, but they come across that way. I do go to counseling occasionally. Life has been extra stressful lately and work is not helping. Thanks for letting me vent. Not going to for a while. Maybe that is my problem, focused on the negative.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote