Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New Glasses

>

IA11

New Glasses
Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Well, my new, really expensive glasses just arenít right.

Iíve tried for a week to get used to them and while driving this afternoon ó realized that Iíve given them long enough. The distance vision isnít as good as my old ones and all the lights ó traffic lights are fuzzy and almost have auras around them. The lighted church sign near my home was unreadable.

Iím just sick about it. I have an involved prescription that costs a small fortune. Unless they filled the prescription wrong, Iíll have to foot the bill for new lenses.

Darn it!

IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 08-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Depending on where you got them you should be able to get new ones. My eye doctor always offers returns if not satisfied.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Take them in
Old 08-16-2019, 05:39 PM

and see what they say. Tell them exactly what you wrote here. You have to be able to see!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM

I donít see why you should have to foot the bill for glasses that arenít right. I could understand if you didnít like the frames, but not the actual prescription.

I agree with the others, take them in and see what they say.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Glasses
Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM

I may have a prescription that is similar to yours - quite involved. I had trouble with my new pair. My situation was that the distance was fine; close-up was lousy. I took them back. The doctor took them to some gizmo to measure the actual prescription strength and came back and said it was not as strong as he had requested but the variance was considered "acceptable" in the industry. He re-ordered the lenses with a request to be specific on the close-up section.

I learned with my last pair of glasses that the new "high index" lenses just don't work for me/my eyes. That's when I couldn't read the signs until I was right up on them.

My dad had an optometrist friend. He told Dad the lenses can be REmade 3 times before the opticians/optometrist lose any money - there is that much markup on them.

KeyKid is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

a doc or manufacture error
Old 08-16-2019, 06:08 PM

I had to take my expensive glasses back to the prescriber because the prescription was "off"...way off. It turned out that the prescription was written incorrectly! He claimed that his assistant recorded it wrong. My doc replaced the lenses at no cost to me.

Either the doc didn't give you an accurate exam or the lenses were incorrectly manufactured. You shouldn't have to pay. Call your doc and lens provider right away to start correcting the situation. You paid for clear visual acuity with new glasses and deserve it!
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Glasses
Old 08-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Take them back, of course.

Iím having similar issues. Medicare doesnít cover my original eye doc who was fabulous, never an issue.

I went to Sight for Sore Eyes or maybe it was LensCrafters. I donít think the assistant knew what he was doing. Iím constantly adjusting them.

When I come home from vacation, Iím taking them back.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-16-2019, 06:38 PM

One of the reasons I bought my glasses from my eye doctor is in case of problems. And it turned out one lens needed to be redone. It wasn't as sharp as the other. He redid my exam and replaced it at no charge. I'd definitely take or send them back!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 PM

My DH just got new glasses that just weren't right. They are progressive lenses and he kept havi g to look down instead of straight ahead. He went back and they discovered that the nose pieces had not been adjusted properly. That was an easy fix.

I once got a pair of glasses with one lens that turned dark in the sun and one that didn't. I left them in the car when I went to the gym. Came out, took one look and drove directly to the office. They laughed so hard when I walked in. No question about getting those replaced.

I hope your experience with replacing lenses goes well also.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

Ia11
Old 08-17-2019, 04:33 AM

Yes, please go back. The same thing happened (fuzzy traffic lights/having to be right under a sign before I could read it; headlights from the other cars are the real killer) with my new glasses; I did go back and they made adjustments to the nose pieces. I am still having trouble with headlights, so I will be returning again. Glasses are so expensive even at these so called $79 places when you need more than simple lenses that they need to make them properly for our vision. The hardest part is trying to explain what is wrong when they don't see in their eyes what we are seeing! Good luck, and do not think twice about letting them know until they are corrected.

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 AM

Take them back. It could be that they measured wrong or filled them wrong or they are just not adjusted quite right in the frames. None of these things is your fault and they should make it right with no charge to you.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 AM

When I switched from single vision lenses to progressive I thought I was going crazy because everyone said just give it a week. Well a week and a few days more I took them back. Lenses we're not done right!!!!!

You should always have the chance to switch lenses if they are right. I've never heard of any eyeglass place that doesn't do that.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote