Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sleep meds

>

KT_203

Sleep meds
Old 09-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Okay so Iím having a bout of insomnia. Iím one of those people who can sleep really really well for 6 months then a 3 month period of insomnia then back to months of good sleeping. Itís very strange and frustrating but this is how Iíve always been. Except this has been one of the worst Iíve had in a while and itís actually getting worse every day.

The other day I took an Advil PM to help me. I slept good but then the entire next day I felt like death. Not worth it.

Iíve been doing a glass or two of wine with dinner/ before bed which is one of my usual tricks and has often helped in the past BUT this time all thatís seemed to do is insure Iím up to pee multiple times during the night. Not helping!!!!!

Anyone have suggestions for something that isnít as aggressive as Advil pm? Iíve always had trouble w nighttime meds so I rarely take them ( no NyQuil etc. ). Normally they make me hyper- weird I know. Iíve heard maybe unisom or melatonin? Anyone have experiences to share.

Sincerely,
EXTREMELY TIRED

KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Melatonin helps me. I take anywhere from 3 to 6 mg about 30 minutes before go to bed. I also take magnesium.

I hope you sleep better tonight!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 09-05-2019, 05:13 PM

I take two benedryl. I think it helps me. I still wake up before my alarm.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 09-05-2019, 05:15 PM

I go one of 2 routes. One is a healthy dose of Natural Calm. Start with a 1/4 to 1/2 dose as it can have a umm cleansing effect. The other is a 6 to 10 mg dose of melatonin. I was taking 2 3mg under the tongue tablets but someone suggested a 10 mg extended release tab. They both work well but can sometimes cause very vivid dreams. I think that when I finish this bottle of extended release, Iíll go back to the under the tongue.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM

I have similar issues with nighttime meds. Melatonin keeps me up, as well. Valerian root helped a little bit for a short amount of time.

I go through cycles like you do, and it is miserable not to be able to sleep. I talked to my doctor about it because it was horrible and I had tried everything. She agreed that not sleeping is unhealthy physically and emotionally.

I take a tiny dose of ativan that she prescribed when I can't sleep. It doesn't even make me tired (I could probably take the tiny dose during the day) but for some reason it just relaxes me enough so I can fall asleep. I only take it when I can't sleep and need to wake up early the next day. I'll go for a long time without taking it, and then times when I need to use it more.

Hope you find something quick!

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Benadryl
Old 09-05-2019, 05:32 PM

I take only one and that helps me for the night. Also I noticed on the days of my early morning walks, I would sleep better and would not need a Benadryl.
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

KT_203

Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 PM

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I do take an antidepressant for anxiety. There had been talk of adding an Ativan for me to take as needed. Iím wondering about maybe checking w my dr about that again.
KT_203 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 09-05-2019, 06:08 PM

I've struggled with insomnia my entire life- I'm an extreme night owl and I have trouble falling asleep (when allowed to sleep in during the morning, I sleep just fine). Some times are worse than others. Melatonin was horrible for me. It made me drowsy so I'd feel like I needed to go to bed, and then I'd be awake but drowsy for literally 3-4 hours. If I'm not sleeping, I'd much rather have the ability to do something (read a book, etc.) It was the most frustrating experience. That said, I've heard plenty of people it worked wonders for so you might as well try it.

In college I complained to my Dr. and was given 25 mg. of various types of sleeping pills (he kept giving me something else when the last thing didn't work). Nothing worked and I just got frustrated and quit going back. Later as an adult, I explained that situation to my current Dr. and she said knowing I had that history, there was no need to frustrate me with low doses. She prescribed 100 mg of Trazadone, which is apparently known to help people who have difficulties with other meds.

It worked amazingly. Even during the summer, where typically my insomnia is horrible due to no structure/schedule, I easily went to bed and woke up at a normal time. Then I started working at my current district and got crappy high deductible insurance, and I can no longer afford it . Long story short, I'd talk to your Dr. and don't be afraid to complain if something doesn't work.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Cbd
Old 09-05-2019, 06:10 PM

A few months ago I started taking CBD oil before bed and I have been sleeping great. I sleep through the night and feel well rested in the morning.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 09-05-2019, 06:24 PM

I take 10mg of melatonin a night.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 09-05-2019, 06:27 PM

Seems like you have lots of great suggestions, and I don't really have any to add, but I did want to mention to use caution with anything (basically just double check that it's ok for you) if you have any health conditions at all. Even something as natural as melatonin can be harmful for certain people.

I hope you can find something that helps! Insomnia is a beast to deal with.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM

What I use has already been mentioned: Magnesium (natural calm) and cbd oil. Those combined really help me!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM

I always caution people to try Benadryl on a night they don't need sleep. It keeps me up and makes me feel like I'm on speed or something! It's awful!

My daughter takes melatonin and it works well for her.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Non-med suggestion
Old 09-06-2019, 04:22 AM

Calm app.

For teachers you can get it for free.

Itís guided meditations, sleep stories by famous narrators (Stephen fry). Gentle relaxing music or scenes (fireplace, ocean waves).

It helps me and my baby. I put it on almost nightly. I like the stories and lullabies.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Recommended to me
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 PM

An epsom salt bath and the use of lavender oil. The person who recommended this to me swears by it. Dollar Tree also sells lavender scented epsom salts.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote