Help

BusyBoard

Teaching in Texas?

>

70Primrose

Teaching in Texas?
Old 12-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Question for elementary teachers in Houston, Texas. My husbandís main office is in Houston, Texas. We could relocate, totally an option. We currently live in Idaho. I teach 4th grade and love it, but would be happy with 2nd or 3rd. I have been looking at houses in Houston and we could live so much better there, plus teachers make more there than here. Are there teaching jobs to be had in the Houston area? Could I teach while I got my Texas Certification? What are the Pros and Cons of teaching in Texas?
We are originally from Southern California, I like what I see on the weather channel for Texas!!

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-14-2019, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I donít live in Texas, but I would warn you that teachers probably make more because the cost of living is higher. It probably balances out in the end.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTea

Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught in the Houston area for 18 years. I am retired now and have moved to Montana. From a weather perspective, I was glad to leave Houston because it is extremely humid pretty much year-round and very hot for about 9 months out of the year.
There are many districts in and around Houston, some better than others. Iím sure you could find a job somewhere but it may not be at a desirable school. They do pay well in comparison but sometimes itís considered battle pay. You get more house for your money in Texas. I donít know how to compare cost of living... I found it cheaper in many ways, ie gas, groceries, housing, than here in Montana. Traffic is awful and it takes a lot of time to get from one place to another. I know Iím sounding pretty negative but Iím thinking if I lived in Idaho and loved my job, the benefits of staying in Idaho would outweigh the benefits of moving to Texas. That being said, there are places in Texas that Iím sure would be more pleasant to live, Iím just commenting on the Houston area that Iím familiar with. Many people like it. Thereís lots to do and many great places to eat. Wish you the best as you make your decision.
TexTea is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in the Texas Hill Country near San Antonio and would not move to Houston if you paid me. I don’t know anything about the schools like TexTea but I would not like living in the humidity which is the first thing everyone says when Houston comes up. There is a lot to do there and I know people who love it there, but if I had to choose between busy, massive Houston and what I know about Idaho having traveled through the state, I would stay in Idaho especially if I loved my job. Good luck with what you decide.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 12-15-2019, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do love Idaho in all seasons but winter. I do love my little school. It is a school of the arts and is in my neighborhood. I walk there. The cost of living is getting pretty high here though, surprisingly. A nice house here in a good neighborhood would be 400,000 +. Groceries are not that much cheaper than in California. I visit my sister there a lot. Gas is expensive, water is cheap and we still have lots! That is good! No natural disasters in Idaho! Thanks for the info, we will stay put.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-15-2019, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Retired Texas teacher here, agreeing with everything TexTea said. There are people who live on Galveston Island (about 50 miles south of H-town) who consider themselves Houston escapees, and I could not agree more.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote