Help

The VENT

Jerk gifted and talented kids

>

70Primrose

Jerk gifted and talented kids
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I deleted this because I felt so attacked by the people on this board. It is a vent board, right? No one has had a really bad week on this board? I have read some really bad vents on this board and felt others pain and knew they were having one of those days or weeks! If you went back and read my other VENTS you would know that it is a VENT board! Not a LOVE my day board! Thanks for not caring and understanding! It really isn’t the kids, it is the lack of support from others in this profession. The judgmental attitudes. I won’t be looking for support on this pro teacher anymore. I am a very good teacher, I just needed to VENT! I wish I could change my title to Jerk teachers who abbiously don’t understand the word VENT!!!

Last edited by 70Primrose; 01-30-2020 at 05:53 AM..
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found this post so deeply concerning that I went back and read your most recent other posts. Many other students and situations in teaching disturb you this year as well.

I think youíve overreacted to one mouthy kid because of your overall frustration with your job. Get some help coping or get a new job.

If an obnoxious, AG 4th grader makes you this defensive, thatís a red flag.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-30-2020, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have not had a sit-down with each individual in the group to address their disruptive behavior when returning to your class and your expectations in how they are to enter, have that sit down now. Have a real discussion with them. You could ask them at the end if they would like to handle the problem now that they know what is expected, or you can issue consequences and get their parents involved. It seems there is a ringleader so divide and conquer. The others are probably followers. If any of them continue to be disruptive, follow through.

I hope your attitude towards them as expressed here is not obvious to them, but I think kids know how their teacher feels about them even if their teacher is subtle about it. I don’t know how long you have been teaching, but I get the impression you don’t find much pleasure in it from your posts. I would sincerely suggest to you that you re-examine your happiness as a teacher and your passion to be in the classroom, how you feel about all kids, and take the time to find strategies to effectively work with difficult children. We all have tough kids throughout our career. They are who they are and we have to find ways to work with them to the very best of our ability while we have them.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-30-2020, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just wanted to say that I think it wasn't the vent so much as the word choices you made that prompted posters to respond the way they did. And yes, it is a vent board, but there does seem to be a point where a vent turns rather nasty - which is the way I took your post when I read it. I did not respond, but the post did alarm me.

I have taken gifted kids (and sometimes the other end) out to the hall and reviewed expectations for entering my classroom. After that, if they come in loud and obnoxious, I just wave them back out and they do it again quietly. They will get the hint soon. It is true that sometimes those students do feel like they know everything - but that is how they have been treated previously. Work hard to ignore those behaviors and encourage the ones you want.

I am always amazed at how different a class can be with a certain couple of kids missing!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm sorry you were not allowed a safe place to vent. Some are allowed to vent and some are not. This is how a real teacher lounge is at work too.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I didn't see your post
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But I feel your pain. I don't know what word choices you used, but I remember describing an instance on a different pro-teacher board where I was having problems with a friend and some people were very supportive and others took a very judgmental tone and added salt to the wound.

One time somebody took extreme offense to one of my responses and people were quick to say " I'm so sorry that *somebody*(coughcoughme) was so rude to you we usually have nice people here." Which succeeded in then offending me.

most of the time I find support on here but I do feel like I have to be very careful with my word choices. I hope you feel ok with sharing again sometime.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Don't remember the original post but...
Old 01-30-2020, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Fortunately or unfortunately, in a public forum, even one entitled Vent, you will get all kinds of opinions. Some will be supportive, some will not, and some will not word their responses in a supportive or constructive way. That is unfortunately, but it is true in many places online.

I hope you do not permanently give up on us. I have found by in large, the people here on the boards to be very supportive and caring. And I hope you do find supportive voices, if not here on Proteacher, than elsewhere in your life. Everyone deserves a soft and kind place to land once in awhile when things are not going right.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It was the word choice that caused an issue. Honestly, I ignored the whole post because the wording was so inflammatory that I have flashbacks to this summerís troll. Given the tone of your edited post, Iím still not sure. The only reason Iím responding is to assure those who are responding now that the ĒnegativeĒ responsive was not due to a simple vent. Iíd also suggest we all stop responding before this post turns into a free for all like this summer, and yes, I was one of the one's that took the bait this summer, so I make that statement with zero judgement.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The best thing I've seen is to let the moderators make the rules. Ignore the posts you do not like and by no means assume anything of the poster who wrote the vent.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

And if you didn't actually see the post in question, better not to respond at all.

Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet4

I agree Anna
Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

And if I wish to respond I'm within my rights.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote