Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

This is really rude, right?

>

ICrazyTeach

This is really rude, right?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Facebook friends post all kinds of pictures from their beach vacations. Every now and then someone will post a picture of someone they think is fat or ugly or too hairy or wearing something ridiculous--whatever. These are complete strangers minding their own business and trying to enjoy the beach. I guess it's not just the beach. People will do this pretty much anywhere. Is it just me that thinks this is disgusting behavior? I can't think of a time I would ever post of picture of a stranger on facebook. Of course I'm not really the type to talk about people and make fun of them either.

OK. I'm a bit of an idiot. This person actually posted a picture of her husband this time! I didn't recognize him half dressed and with crazy beach hair! She does post stuff like that all the time, though. The comment matched what I'm used to her posting about strangers. This time she was just lovingly making fun of her own husband--which totally fits their sense of humor.

Last edited by ICrazyTeach; 06-11-2017 at 09:22 AM..
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 AM

That's rude and disgusting.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-11-2017, 08:15 AM

I think it's really rude and it bothers me, but a lot of pters love the people of Walmart site and that's the same general idea. Post pictures of people you find ridiculous for some reason and then make fun of them as a group of picture viewers. I don't think it's funny.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

Yes
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 AM

Yes, it's in bad taste. I would tend to think poorly of the person who chose to post for the reason to make fun of /put someone down.

I'd rather seen something of a more positive nature.
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-11-2017, 08:21 AM

Not only is is distasteful, it's illegal. Here's a story about a woman who publicly body-shamed an older woman, was charged by police, and convicted.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...a3e5581d971cd6

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Just let people be
Old 06-11-2017, 08:24 AM

amiga beat me to it. This thread made me think of the same thing. This is my response:
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Rudeness seems to be a trend on some social media sites right now.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

It is disgusting but...
Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 AM

... it is not illegal in and of itself. The case with the model has additional factors that do not automatically apply to what the OP is referring.

Either way, doing this type of thing is not acceptable to me and I would not want to surround myself with people who act like this.
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
The case with the model has additional factors that do not automatically apply to what the OP is referring.
I think that was an expectation of privacy in a locker room? It's still just rude, unnecessary, and unkind.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

This is really the bottom line:
Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
doing this type of thing is not acceptable to me and I would not want to surround myself with people who act like this.
It's pretty simple: unfriend them. I don't have a single FB friend who has done that....and if they did, I'd unfriend them. But, I am not one who friends tons of people...my list is pretty small on purpose.

newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 AM

Thanks to LibbyRWindsor for pointing out my mistakes again. I should have said, It can be illegal and Here's one case.... Again, I apologize for my stupidity.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Yes.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 AM

I find it rude and downright cruel in many cases. I'm not modelesque... what if someone took a picture of me and slapped it on FB? I'd be humiliated.

I know many people love the website with photos of people at Walmart, but I certainly don't. The first and last time I looked at it, I was sad. There were photos of an elderly man from behind who'd soiled himself, and another of a child very unsafely placed inside of a shopping cart. I can't imagine scrolling through pictures such as those and having a good laugh.

I would unfriend the people you mentioned on FB.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Fb
Old 06-11-2017, 09:29 AM

I would be hiding the posts of people who do that. It is rude and inappropriate.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Very cruel and makes me so sad. I'm glad I haven't seen this on my fb feed. I agree, the People of Walmart site is a tragic form of bullying.

The only thing I have seen on my fb page was a friend who posted a picture of a stranger she saw at a park. The stranger was extremely pregnant. It looked like she might be having triplets or something. I don't think my friend should have posted it, but she was expressing sympathy for the poor woman who was trying to play with her child on a hot summer day while being beyond pregnant.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Yes extremely rude and in poor taste. People who need to put down strangers are obviously insecure themselves.

I would not be happy about my spouse posting in an unflattering way about me either. He wouldn't do that though.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-11-2017, 12:39 PM

So my very rude and inappropriate dh took a pic on the beach when we were at Punta Cana. Of course I was in the pic but in the near background was the back of a young woman in a g string bathing suit. <!--giggle-
->It was actually funny.
BTW...my dh wasn't putting her down at all.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-11-2017, 01:06 PM

It is very rude and an invasion of privacy!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Posting pictures of total strangers on FB in order to make fun of them is bizarre and reprehensible. I have never seen any of my friends do such a thing.

No, I take that back. My cousin once posted a video of a guy- maybe had a few too many beers- dancing at an outdoor concert she was at. I guess she thought he was being goofy, but it seemed like she posted it to make fun of him. I thought it was rude.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

Zia
Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM

I am not an expert on that case by any means but, from what I understand, the expectation of privacy was key there as you suggested. The woman was nude, she had a reasonable expectation to not be photographed in that setting and the woman who violated that then posted the photograph on social media with a horrible message. It appears that her charge was misdemeanor invasion of privacy. I am glad that she was charged and sentenced but I do wish her punishment was more significant than 30 days of graffiti cleanup (which I read was what the judge ordered). I agree with you, Zia. This behavior is beyond disgusting.
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Just plain wrong
Old 06-11-2017, 04:05 PM

I know many people see this differently than me, but I would never post a picture of my husband and joke about his body in a way that may make him uncomfortable. Even when a person "lovingly jokes" about someone's body, I believe there is a reality to that joking or it wouldn't have been thought of in the first place.

As for joking about a complete stranger's body-- that is completely out of line. We should keep some thoughts to ourselves. The horror of posting pictures of strangers on FB is that they might see those pictures and be humiliated. Their loved ones might also see the pictures and be humiliated. What about a child seeing such a post of their parent? I'm sure that goes over well with their peers.

Not long ago, I saw a picture of an obese person who actually turned over a wheelchair by reaching for something. A stranger posted it. The person in the picture saw it, then made their own post about the picture. That person felt a need to defend themself. We do not have a right to judge a person. There may be a story that we just don't know.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

So awful
Old 06-11-2017, 05:09 PM

I don't like to see things like that at all. It's so mean! It really devalues other people.

As far as posting about my spouse, I never would. I know he would be so hurt and it's really disrespectful.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Yes, it is
Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Really rude and so wrong to invade a person's privacy in that way!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Old 06-11-2017, 06:54 PM

That's horrible and disgusting. No one should be taking pictures of others without their knowledge to make fun of them. Gross. That is not someone I would want to be friends with.

Miss the old days before you worried about some a$$hole taking your picture because you don't look like a playboy playmate.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

rude comments about others
Old 06-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
a lot of pters love the people of Walmart site and that's the same general idea. Post pictures of people you find ridiculous for some reason and then make fun of them as a group of picture viewers. I don't think it's funny.
Good point, GraceKrispy! I think that people find one context acceptable and the other not. I'm not sure why though.

Last edited by eeza; 06-11-2017 at 07:32 PM..
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 06-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Yes, it's rude, and I would let them know what I really think about them trying to make fun of others.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 PM

There is a video on FB that starts out with a woman at the beach going to the water with a round floaty thing -- like a life preserver, but more toy than serious. I saw some of the comments below the video about how people really laughed at such and such a point in the video.

Totally awful!

There are also some FB posts about how people of all shapes and sizes need to just live their lives and not be overly concerned about getting their pictures taken, etc. Their point was for people who had been avoiding fun times with kids and getting pics taken to go ahead and be themselves.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

avoiding fun
Old 06-12-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Their point was for people who had been avoiding fun times with kids and getting pics taken to go ahead and be themselves.
Agreed! Life will just pass you by!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote