Help

The VENT

Employment Verification Form Issues

>

LibbyRWindsor

Employment Verification Form Issues
Old 06-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As some of you know, I was offered a fantastic position in a neighboring school district for the upcoming academic year. The new school district, understandably, requires employment verification forms for all previous teaching positions for the purposes of salary scale placement. I am no longer in the same part of the country as my last two schools and, about a week ago, submitted the form via email (which is not the problem). I get an email today from the HR person at one of the schools and she essentially said that they have no record of my employment and they can't help me. (She provided no other information.) As soon as I got the email, I called her and asked for information about the difficulty they are facing. She said that they don't keep records from "that long ago" (2013) as they have "no use for them" and "they are beyond archive timeframes" needed. She said that they cannot help anyone who worked there prior to 2014 because "that is when pay switched from direct deposit to actual checks" and that "with the checks, they keep records for a longer period of time". None of this makes any sense to me. This school was always a mismanaged mess and has been in a constant state of turmoil and transition since opening but I didn't think that they would have such problems with such a basic request. All that my new district needs on the form is information pertaining to dates of employment, salary and whether the employment was full time or part time. That is it. I have emails, letters and other documentation that provides all of that information but this woman is still giving me a hard time. I just sent another email attaching a bunch of supporting documentation and am hoping that she will fill it out. I am now waiting on the new district's response to my request to provide documentation in formats other than the official district form required.

Something so simple has become much more of a headache than it ever should become. My employment there was successful and it has nothing to do with poor performance on my part. I also have been respectful in all of my contacts. My new district has a pay scale that jumps quite a bit between years of experience and state licensing also depends on provable experience. I am puzzled and disturbed by the lack of record keeping by the school I mentioned and the associated behavior. My hope is that this all gets worked out quickly and satisfactorily. Thanks for listening, friends.

LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That sucks!

You've probably thought of this -- but what about your tax forms? I guess that would say the position -- but it could show the lady that you were employed there. Is there anyone there currently who would remember you?
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

Sad
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So sorry for your hassle!! I hope that the district will cooperate. I lost 6 years(thankfully, no impact on salary, etc.)because a school in another state I worked at, consolidated many years ago. The people at the new district were not at all helpful, and since I had enough years in my new district without those six, I dropped it. ( I was still credited it in the state retirement system, etc.) I think some of these people have that "authority "complex! Good luck!
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

Employment Verification
Old 06-16-2017, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Could you possibly explain this to the new school and provide a copy of your w-2 from your taxes to prove employment? I know many people keep their tax returns for 7 years.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I had something kind of like that
Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

happen 1X. I was at the opposite side of the country too. I needed a form JUST signed. The district I'd worked for most of my life swore they did not have access to the info needed to confirm it. I know the way I resolved it is not ideal to anyone. I had already bought tickets to go back there to visit friends and family. I ended up finding a P that I had worked with as both a teacher and AP long ago. ( My main ones had retired or moved.) Anyways, she had the district stamp on her computer. I made an appointment w/ her while I was there, visited a bit, and she signed off on it, put it on her computer, and emailed/ printed it for me. It was something I really needed too. Your post should be a reminder to all teachers to really keep track of certifications, trainings, and documentation. You never know when you might need them. ( I tend to pitch things I don't need anymore.) I wonder if you showed your tax returns to HR if they might waive that 1 form for you. Good luck!

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How annoying! This is a sad and ridiculous example of bureaucracy at its worst.

Thank goodness you're organized and have backup info. Do you know anyone who still works in that district and would be willing to write a brief verification for you?

ETA: I'm back to add, because I can't get this post out of my mind, that I started teaching in the dinosaur days. My first position was 1974-1983 and that district managed to verify my employment just fine when I went back to work much later in another district 400 miles away.

Last edited by amiga13; 06-16-2017 at 03:31 PM..
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is beyond ridiculous!! They moved FROM direct deposit to checks and can only now track verification over the past few years with the check system?? That makes no sense whatsoever. I hope she signs the paper and this gets taken care of. How incredibly frustrating! I'm angry for you!!
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

schoolgirl3

The state teacher's retirement pffice
Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

should have these records for the district you were in. It's worth a call.
schoolgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I get an email today from the HR person at one of the schools and she essentially said that they have no record of my employment and they can't help me. (She provided no other information.)
I had this happen as well when I left one district mid-year for a much better position in another one. I don't recommend leaving mid-year unless you get a better job. I took in my box of records from my previous employer; lesson plans, evaluations, pay stubs to prove I worked there.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

Update...
Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am so sorry for the horrible delay, friends. We had a death in the family and I am just getting back into the swing of things. In any event, I completely agree with everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I provided my pay records, my contract paperwork, emails sent to and from the former principal, letters from colleagues and a bunch of other materials. The HR person and the current principal she contacted both say that none of this constitutes proof that I worked there because none of it is in their records. Apparently, if they have not retained records than no proof is valid (in their minds). Emails and calls went unanswered for the longest time until I cold called another campus and happened to reach the office manager who not only was a former kindergarten teacher at the school but also is the parent of a former student of mine. She called the HR person and told her that this needed to be taken care of and minutes later I got a call back from the HR staffer that said that she still couldn't do anything. After me trying to get her to agree to do something, the best I could get was a letter from her that said that she believes that I worked there because of the documentation that I submitted but that she didn't feel comfortable filling out the required form or formally signing anything because they lost my records and have no proof of their own of anything. So, I took that letter and all that I provided to the school to the HR team of my future district when I had my in-processing day a couple of days later. The woman there said that she would accept it but that it may be a problem with the state DoE when they process my licensing. I am working with my congressman to see if they can guide me and help get satisfactory resolution.

This has been absolutely ridiculous and I will be so frustrated if I have gotten this far and lose the job over something that should have been so easy to accomplish. I appreciate all of the advice and comments shared.

LibbyRWindsor

Clarification
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been a bit upset about the whole records situation but I should clarify that the HR person seems to think that everything I have will work as a substitution for what they were requiring. She is now saying that she will accept what I provided but that the state may require "extra work" once they start processing their side of the paperwork. The principal does not seem concerned at this point and I have been participating in school events, am getting support for a training I am planning on attending next week, have been allowed to sit in on meetings and am being allowed access to the school. Things should work out but I will have to wait and see.