The VENT

Setting Up New Classroom

>

MissStacey

Setting Up New Classroom
Old 08-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just a quick vent!

I start work again next Wednesday afternoon- we'll have that day, Thursday and Friday to set up/get ready, but also have the usual staff and grade level meetings. School starts the following Tuesday after Labour Day.

I had to move classrooms in June (a good thing!) but due to a few things going on, I only had about a day to do it, which means my room is currently not put together at all. I have boxes to go through and materials to organize, plus the usual setting up of the room (bulletin boards, etc). I know that I can get it done next week, but I would rather use those days for planning and getting actual teaching stuff ready to go. I'm 6 months pregnant and much slower than usual, and I'm trying not to overdo it, so I was hoping to go in this week for a little bit each day and plug away at it and have my room all ready for when we start next week.

So I hauled myself in today, and OF COURSE the school is being used by this summer daycamp, with different groups using the classrooms. I thought they were all done for the year and it looks like I can't get in until Friday afternoon. Which means I'll be in every day next week instead of spending my last few days relaxing at home. I'm hoping I can get it all done so I won't have to go in on the weekend before school starts. Just wanted to get a vent out.

How is everyone else's classroom setup going?

MissStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

short_bread

Exactly
Old 08-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me except im not pregnant. My challenge is finding chikd care for my daughter since day care doesn't open until the first day of school. Normally that isn't the case but of course it is this year...the year I switch grades, move my classroom and have tons of materials to put away. Ugh. Nevermind trying to plan for an age group I have no experience with. Right there with you.
short_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

LibbyRWindsor

My Time...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Before I get to how my setup is going, I want to say congratulations and best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy. I know that you are venting but I also want to say that I can relate to what you are going through right now. I just got switched between schools last minute and have yet to step foot in my classroom. Classes started today but, due to a paperwork glitch, I can't get in until after school lets out today or even tomorrow morning and I am expected to report to work tomorrow! Nothing is set up and I don't even have access to any materials yet. I don't know what is available in the school. I can't yet make copies or access the school's network. I have met no colleagues. It will be interesting for sure!

Best of luck with everything. I am sure that all will be well but I understand your frustrations.
LibbyRWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote

2sankofa

Old 08-21-2017, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught summer school at my school, I spent a few hours off and on during that time. For the most part, it has been very smooth. Besides having the building closed for 2 straight weeks to do floors and 3 of my cabinets swollen shut, it has been pretty seamless.
2sankofa is offline   Reply With Quote

MissStacey

Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the support, everyone! So far it's been a normal and healthy pregnancy, although I'm interested to see how I feel during the 3rd trimester coinciding with the beginning of the school year.

I just found out we actually go back Tuesday afternoon, not Wednesday, which gives me some extra time. I'm going to try to get some work done Friday afternoon and Monday which should give me enough time to at least organize my things and get a head start on setting up. Good luck to all of you!

MissStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Ask for help
Old 08-23-2017, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Don't be afraid to ask for help either! Teacher friends are the best friends, and they'll understand how hard it is to move classrooms. And 1-2 people willing to give you half an hour of help will make a huge difference. Especially with bulletin boards.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote