Help

Fourth Grade

Best Classroom Management Plans

>

hilkiah

Best Classroom Management Plans
Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have my rules and consequences listed below but I'd like to revamp my consequences and I'd like some great ideas for positive rewards (tickets, benefits, and etc). Any ideas or help you can offer would be appreciated.

RULES
1. Listen And Follow Directions

2. Raise Your Hand Before Speaking Or Leaving Your Seat

3. Respect Your Classmates And Your Teacher

4. Keep Hands, Feet, And Objects To Yourself

CONSEQUENCES

1st time a rule is broken: Warning

2nd time a rule is broken: Time-Out

3rd time a rule is broken: Letter Home

Also my students begin the day with 3 check marks & keep or loss them each day. These check marks accumulate throughout the week & each day students are given 3 check marks so students that had a bad day get a fresh start. At the end of the week the check marks are exchanged for tickets.

hilkiah is offline   Reply With Quote

BigwigRabbit

Consequences
Old 07-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What do you do the 4th and the 5th time a rule is broken? What if the student doesn't care about time-out? What if a note home won't get there or will be ignored once received? In order for a system to be effective, it needs to address these issues.

My system relies 80% on reward and 20% on punishment (approximately). Rewards need to be meaningful and immediate. Punishers also need to be meaningful and immediate. My system is an economy (http://sites.google.com/site/classroomeconomy/) but it is really complex. You might check it out and use some ideas from it. I find it tremendously effective, perhaps 90-95%.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

dianemcq

gift auction
Old 07-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My teaching partner and I keep a big box full of new and slightly used items and free Scholastic books, and when it got close to overflowing I decided to hold a gift auction. I see that you give out tickets, and that's what we did for a few weeks.

I put each smaller item into a cellophane baggie and wrote a number on it plus on a corresponding cup. Students treated it like a real gift auction by placing tickets in the cups of their choice for a fun drawing. I also included certificates for experiences such as "teacher for a day", pen license for a day, kindergarten helper, tell jokes over school loudspeaker during morning announcements, etc. It was a big hit. I made sure I had enough prizes for each student to theoretically win two. Only one student didn't get anything...but I held the auction during math time so I explained that everyone won a "no math class day".
dianemcq is offline   Reply With Quote

BigPickle

Class rules
Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As a class we meet and discuss what a good classmate is and what it is not. We write our rules together and turn it into a class pledge that we say every morning. The book Tribes is a great resource.
BigPickle is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to do something similar (the clip chart with 7 levels, if you've seen it) but had a hard time being consistent with it. I found that different students and different behaviors were not as black and white as the chart made them be. For example, what do you do with the ADD student who can't keep his hands to himself? Does he get a letter home every day because he struggles with this?

After years of trying to perfect a system, I realized that I do best with no system. The kids come up with the rules at the beginning of the year. If a student is not following the rules, I talk to them. I try to do the Love and Logic idea where the punishment fits the crime. No homework? Then they do it at recess. Have a problem bullying? We have a conversation about it, contact the parents, and let them know future consequences if it continues.

I do positive rewards, as well. They can earn "tickets" for positive behavior and get to choose what reward they want: sitting in my desk chair, writing in pen, choosing a stuffed animal for the day, etc.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

AniFan15

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I saw somewhere a teacher who uses punch cards. Similar to the ones you get at a restaurant... 10th punch = free soda kind of thing. You can print them up as if it were a business card and customize them for whatever behavior you want to monitor (homework, citizenship, etc.).
AniFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
merricat
Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 AM
This message has been deleted by merricat. Reason: It's not coming up as a doc.x file when opening the attachment.

merricat

Consequences
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I just tried to upload a chart we use on a clipboard. For some reason it didn't open. I'll try again. We have a huge success implementing this behavior management plan starting day the first day back. If you have any questions just let me know. Of course we include a note home, phone call, and/or schedule a conference. If turning in any work is an issue we use "their" (recess/free) time to complete it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Behavior daily tally chart 2015-2016.doc (59.5 KB, 69 views)
merricat is offline   Reply With Quote

hilkiah

Old 08-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Merricat, I'd love to see the complete resource & instructions on how to implement this classroom management plan. If possible, could you email it to me at markchris777@gmail.com
hilkiah is offline   Reply With Quote

luvinit

Behavior Plan
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

merricat, I would love to see your plan also.
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

Old 08-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

merricat, I would love to see your plan--especially in regards to how you manage/supervise the walking part! Thanks

mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote