Help

Special Education

Research Project for low kids

>

GreatGrin

Research Project for low kids
Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 2nd grade reading for a low group of readers/writers. My team teacher and I would like to stay on the same research topic as our students' grade level peers...however, I am struggling with how to do this, when many of our kids read below grade level (really below) and can't even write complete sentences?

The topic is Habitats: Arctic, Desert, Woodlands, and Rainforest. The idea is that each child takes an animal from one of the habitats and reports on it.
IDEAS???? We have a group of 12 kids and there will be 2.5 teachers/assistants available to help for one hour a day for a week, in a resource setting.

GreatGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

klim

Research report
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey Great Grin,
I teach a special ed. self contained 1/2 class. We do "reseach reports" as a whole group. I read the book/books to them and tell them to remember interesting or new information. Then, I have them fill out a four square prewriting organizer with a prewritten topic sentence. for example, Polar bears are interesting for many reasons. As they are filling out their four square we help them with writing complete sentences, using inventive spelling, remembering details.... Then they write their first draft. They are able to write five sentence paragraphs. The sentences are pretty basic and the spelling is very inventive, but they are writing and learning the spelling of high freq. words, capitalization, how a paragraph is formulated...... I have ten kids with the program assistant and myself.
Klim
klim is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherInTX

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use lots of graphic organizers. Kidspiration has lots of really great ones, if you have that computer program.
TeacherInTX is offline   Reply With Quote