Help

Special Education

Help with a Spitter

>

GreatGrin

Help with a Spitter
Old 03-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 2nd grade student who is on the Autism Spectrum/Asperger's. He is a bright kid, and normally knows wrong from right, but has recently become fascinated with his mucus and what he can do with it, to include spitting. He isn't spitting at anyone, more so on his desk-letting it fall as he pleases. This is happening multiple times, and nothing seems to help him make the connection about how gross it is. When we role play the idea of him getting spit on, or his things being spit on, he doesnt like it, but it doesn't prevent him from doing it again.
Today, he spit in a planter that holds a mailbox and post outside his teacher's door.

He normally goes to the trashcan or uses a Kleenex when he has mucus he doesn't want to swallow...and this is fine, but lately that hasn't be the case.
HELP!

GreatGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

SCYSR

Make him spit
Old 03-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yup, you read that right! I don't know your student, but I've done this in the past several times and it worked wonders- make him spit 25 times when he spits, take him to a sink or toilet and make him spit 25 times. I know this is not the PBS approach, but spitting has to be stopped with a bang..... g'luck!
SCYSR is offline   Reply With Quote

GreatGrin

Going for it
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are going to give it a try today, should the spitting continue. After I posted HELP on this, I scrolled down and read this same approach recommended, with other supporting it, so I am game to trying it!

THANKS!

GreatGrin

follow up
Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Interesting....the mother of the spitter threatened to wash his mouth out with soap if he spit again. So far (knock on wood) we have not had spitting.