Help

The VENT

Outlandish Parent Requests

>

tmar

Outlandish Parent Requests
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So the previous posts about parents wanting free afterschool tutoring and a newly married teacher to not change her name midyear got me thinking of a new topic......
What's the most bizarre request that you've had a parent make to you???
Let's see how many crazies are out there!

tmar is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Compared to some others I have read, this isn't that bad. But, last week, I had a parent call towards the end of the day and leave a message (our office will not put through transfered calls during instructional time) that he didn't realize spring break started the next day and he needed to make sure all the kids were invited to his daughter's birthday party. Could I please make sure I announce it to everyone and get everyone's phone number so he could call them over break. If he didn't hear back from me in a few minutes he was going to send in Grandpa to the classroom to take care of it (I guess not knowing that our office would not permit that either). Luckily I got the message in time to have the student take care of getting the phone numbers she needed (I didn't want her to suffer for Dad's lack of brains). It was funny b/c when I told her about it she said, "I'm having a birthday party???"
FLSun is offline   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Old 03-29-2011, 03:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another one that pales in comparison to the afterschool tutoring for free and married name issue, but nevertheless......the mother who dropped off a birthday cake for her child unannounced and asked that I find some plates, forks and a knife to cut each child a piece. Oh, and she brought drinks (clearly stated in the beginning of the year classroom guidelines to NOT bring drinks for birthdays) and wanted me to dig up some cups.
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a parent try to see if it was "legal" for me to keep teaching when I was pregnant. They thought I was letting the kids down having to leave at the third quarter...

(Then she tried to get me to hire her darling to be a mommy's helper. Basically this way I would have been babysitting her DD)
happykids is online now   Reply With Quote

scrapits

I have a child whose
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

mom complained because I wouldn't let her child call home every time they needed or wanted something. The parent says she should be allowed to call home at any time. The school said, fine, but she can't call from the classroom and she can't ask in the middle of instruction. I have a special hall pass that she uses to go to the office to call home.

The kicker is, her mom won't answer the phone and when she does she tells the child she'll be up there, but never shows up. If the kid can't get mom on the phone she calls dad. He got fed up and said she can only call him in an emergency.

Some days this child calls home 5-6 times.

scrapits is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

K teacher request
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not mine, but the K teacher down the hall was told by a parent that little Johnny was not very good by himself in the bathroom yet ..... and would not do #2 unless Mommy was there with him, encouraging. Could teacher please go into the stall with him when he had to go? Oh, and wipe him please. Needless to say, THAT didn't happen!!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

I can top them I think..
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I taught 1st I had a mom ask me to rub some kind of cream on her son's scrotum! Uh, NO!
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

rofl!!!! Keep these coming!

Souxiekue

Rhubarb!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Bwahahahaha!!! That one almost made me choke! Wow!! That tops anything I've heard!!
Souxiekue is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenPoppy

Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had a parent bring me a bag of dirty laundry that was from his child's time at his house (a split custody situation) and ask me to give it to the mom. He told me to tell her that he didn't do laundry for the clothes his daughter wore when she arrived at his house from her mother's.

I handed it back to him and told him that laundry delivery was not one of my functions as a classroom teacher.

GoldenPoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

I have two...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

These happened to fellow colleagues. One a parent sent in money for the teacher to go buy cupcakes for her daughter's birthday. The mom said she was unable since she was a working mother. (Nevermind that the teacher had four kids and was getting her PhD.)

Another still makes me shake with anger. My colleague was at the groccery store standing in the checkout line. She had just had a baby and one of her parents came up to her and said that since she was a teacher she should plan to have her babies in the summer. She said she felt it was not fair to the kids in her room! As luck would have it, a retired teacher was standing by them and overheard the whole conversation and gave the rude parent an earful! I could go on and on, but I have to go to a faculty meeting.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

leofenderfan

Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A colleague of mine used to tell the story of how she was approached by a parent at the end of the school year. This child received a free lunch from the school. The mother wanted to be reimbursed for the 5 lunches she had to provide for her child when he missed school because of illness.
leofenderfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Soliera

Dog at school
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I had a parent bring their dog to school for me to look at! She wanted to know if I thought the dog needed to go to the vet. I told her that since I could see the lump on its chest I thought that it probably needed to go to the vet. I'm sure this kind of advice is not part of my job description!
Soliera is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 03-29-2011, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had a parent who wanted me to watch their child over the weekend. Drive the child to my home, feed him, and watch him for a whole weekend. Needless to say I told her it wasn't possible for me to watch her child over the weekend.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rascal2

jst thought of one
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

A mom and dad at parent teacher conference wanted me to help them resolve a problem that they had with a younger child. The younger child kept crawling in bed at night with them. The mother wanted to let the child stay and the father did not want the child to stay. The father wanted to know what they should do. I could not believe that they were asking me this.
Rascal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Well, mine was the one who wanted the free tutoring, this year. A few years ago I had a mom who wanted me to fax her a detailed daily report about her child's behavior every afternoon.
I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Cat

Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had a parent who wanted me to make her son stop wetting the bed! Kind out of my area of expertise, I told her.
Top Cat is online now   Reply With Quote

JDB

Old 03-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We had a mom who claimed parents should be notified if any teachers were contemplating getting pregnant, so parents could decide if they wanted their child's year "disrupted."

Can you imagine..."Hi, Mrs. Jones? Listen I am out at a wedding with my dh and I am feeling pretty toasted, so you never know if he will get lucky. You can check my ovulation chart that I posted on line to see if Johnny should risk being in my class next year."
JDB is offline   Reply With Quote

ThePurplePen

bizarre
Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

As a staff member at an Early Childhood Center, a parent (keep in mine she was a PEDIATRICIAN) asked me if it was normal that her 4 year old son was still drooling.
ThePurplePen is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I had one who asked me to schedule breaks for her son so he could collect his urine to provide samples for the doctor. (I actually did this, just to make it go away.)
I'm always amazed by the ones who want me to monitor what their children eat for lunch and make sure they do or don't eat something. I'm eating while they're eating, so I'm not even with them!
roo is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I had a parent who wanted each of her son's teachers to take the time to write down what he did in class and what he had for homework. Then she wanted ME--since I had him last period of the day--to go to his locker with him after school and make sure that he had everything that he needed to take home with him.

HE WAS IN 8TH GRADE!!

He had no special needs. He just wasn't really interested in school.

The principal told her that we wouldn't do that for him. She was really huffy about it, but the principal put his foot down and told her that with well over 100 students per day we did not have time to do such things.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Birthday and a half day :)
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Last year, I had a student who's birthday was the Friday before Thanksgiving break and was a half day. So as you can imagine- only a 15-20 minute lunch. Mom was obviously a high maintance person. Dropped off a deluxe cake, plates, and napkins. No knife (but that's besides the point) She wanted me to serve it. Well, no time and I don't have duty during lunch- its my lunch time too! So I sent the cake back home and apparently the cake got messed up with the little girl and the mom called the school and left a very unpleasant message saying I ruined her only birthday. (right they don't come every year.) P backed me up and put the parent in her place.

But you should have listened to the message- it was hilarious to hear her!!
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

requests
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I had a parent send me a note that described an argument her daughter (my student) had with her sister at home, and she wanted me to deal with it at school.

Another year I had a student get stitches in her foot and needed crutches. When the mom found out that the school did not provide crutches she refused to buy or borrow any and told me to "just carry her".

Just this year I had a parent ask me to have her daughter sit in the hallway so she could focus. She wasn't talking about doing this for short period of time, she wanted that to be permanent.

One of the craziest is when a mom came to school to volunteer for the book fair and brought her 1 year old son with her. She dropped him off in my room for me to watch and went to the library to help. I was so surprised I could barely figure out what was going on. I kept thinking surely this is a joke, but it wasn't.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLSun

Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I've got to say, after reading these, that at least some of these requests are flattering. Some parents believe us capable of anything! Don't they read the papers or watch TV to know that we are the leeches on society???? lol

your_life

parent
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I had a parent who worked with an animal rescue. Since we were studying animals at the time, I thought it was a good idea when she asked to present some things to the class. After clearing it with the principal, we set something up. On the day of the presentation, she brought her 1 year old daughter. She wanted me to watch the baby (away from the classroom!) while she presented...

oh, and did I mention she brought along 3 other people to film the presentation for a promotional video? yeah, didn't see that coming, either. My principal at the time refused ot allow them to film. It ended with the parent screaming at the principal before storming out. Without doing to presentation... or her baby daughter!!!

about a week later, they transferred to another school :O
your_life is offline   Reply With Quote

splinter84

Ha ha
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

wow Rhubarb, I am so sorry but that is disgustingly hilarious.
splinter84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Quatro

shop for shoes,name, Halloween
Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Crazy mom called me at home to ask if I had time to help her locate a particular type of shoe for her son. I was speechless. She called Principal to tell him I was no help with her son. (Days before the internet was common)

Could I call her child their name? What did she think I was calling her? I never figured out what made her ask me that?

What day is Halloween-can I move it to Friday? Sure I am now on the world wide calendar committee.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

I had a parent who would call me up (and try to) to discuss his latest urologist appointments. ( this same dad used to go in for monthly proctology exams and the nurse, who had a child in our school told me that the Dr. finally told him to stop coming.) Another parent would call up and ask me to bring her plums and a strawberry shake from McDonalds while she was in the hospital. BTW, Rhubarb, you win hands down. That request is hilarious.
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote
strange

strange

some strange ones
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I've had some strange ones over the years. I had parent call me at home around 9pm to ask why a student's older sister who attended a different school got flyer for some local lessons (like skating or t-ball) and my student didn't have one. I didn't have a clue what she was talking about and the phone woke my baby.

Another time, a contentious parent from the year before who had moved to another state dropped off her son to my classroom so I could watch him over his spring break. Never mind that she hated me the year before, he was a grade older than the class and, he lived in another state and was enrolled in another school.

Finally, this week I got an angry phone message from a parent with a call time/date of Sunday afternoon. The mother left a long tirade about how I marked some of his math problems wrong just because the digits were in the wrong place and he worked so hard on it that it just isn't fair. Sigh.

I've also had "birthday parties in a bag" dropped off for snack time. My cakes never come with a knife, either.

Finally, to be fair, my daughter's teacher told me at our parent-teacher conference that my daughter really needed to write legibly and neatly. I reminded her that my daughter's right arm is in a full cast (she's right handed) and she's trying to use her left hand to complete her work. I asked that some leeway be given for legibility in this circumstance.

dite

Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I had a mom call me at home bc she didn't want to bother me at school.
Then there was the dad who lived a block and a half from the school--if he stood on his front porch, you could see him. He called one morning right after school started. Jr was on his way to school. If he wasn't there in 5 minutes, would I go out and see where he was?
Sure, while you sit and watch TV, I'll leave 25 children alone to check on your son so YOU won't be inconvenienced.
dite is offline   Reply With Quote

cntryheart

Lol
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I had a parent call and tell me she was stuck in a bar and needed me to take her child home for the evening.

I had a parent ask me to take their child home and watch them not just for the weekend but for the whole spring break...cause she wanted to go to Vegas and get married.

I had a student what was transported to an emergency room from teh school bus after a seizure. I went (after school) to the hospital and finally reached mom who said she wasn't coming to the ER. Then mom waited about about 20 minutes and called to ask me if I would bring her home. HELLO! They're not gonna let me sign your child out of the hospital!

I had a parent bring two toddlers to my room and drop them off while she had a meeting for another child in the building (but not in my room). "It's better for them to stay in here cause you only have 8 students but his teacher has 22." Yep! 8 ED students and two toddlers. That's not a safety issue.

Finally, I had a parent ask me if I would buy her child's winter clothes because she couldn't afford them and didn't want to go out and ask for "charity"!

The funniest part of all of this is that I've only been teaching 6 years! I can't wait to see what stories I'll have after 30! Maybe I should start keeping notes for a book!
cntryheart is offline   Reply With Quote

TK56

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I had a parent demand, and I mean demand, my home and cell phone numbers. He wanted to be able to contact me any time he had a question or concern. He was quite insistent. I finally told him DH wouldn't allow me to give out personal information, and he seemed to accept that, but he wasn't happy. Like I want some father calling me at home????
TK56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Okaaaaay USA parents are weird...

My only odd one was the father wanted me to umm keep his Love Plus game going/ give it attention while he was gone on business for the weekend.

he said because I was a guy and trustworthy and he would do the same for me. Umm thanks I think?

Though the dad was VERY VERY Otaku.

What is Love Plus you ask?

http://kotaku.com/#!5243198/love-plu...rience-covered

http://www.tokyomango.com/tokyo_mang...en-hooked.html
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

mommasboys

Old 03-31-2011, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I had a parent request that I teach her 5th grade son (who had sensory issues) how to wash his hair since he didn't like to touch his own hair and mom and dad had to wash it for him. My mouth dropped open! Luckily another teacher at the meeting piped up stating that was not an appropriate use of my time!
mommasboys is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

Wow!! These are incredible, and they make my craziest seem almost reasonable.

But just for fun...I was teaching preschool, and a mom wanted us to potty train her daughter by just letting her have accidents, and changing her clothes (and cleaning the floor, and the chairs, and the toys, and....) 17 times a day. To her credit, she was completely OK with it when we explained that that's not really do-able with 14 other kids in the room.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Ooh . . . I forgot about this one.

I had a grandparent call the principal to request that I change her grandson's seat in class. The problem? He was making an F in my class. Well, that was because the child was a SLUG who did nothing. Ever. He just sat in class and stared into space. No disabilities. Average intelligence. He just didn't want to do anything.

Grandma told the principal that he was failing because I required students to pass their work to the front of the row, and the boy in front of him never did his work, so he erased Darling Grandson's name and wrote his name on it.

Now, I wouldn't put it past middle school kids to try something like that, and that class was a particularly ornery bunch. The funny thing is that my room was arranged in a U shape, and my "rows" were only two seats each. The kid in front of Darling Grandson had been absent for SIX WEEKS due to surgery.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

teach566

carpool?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

My first job was at a private school. I lived 1/2 hour away. A parent of a student I DID NOT KNOW asked if I could pick up his son every day on my way to work. Umm, no, but thanks for your blind trust in this stranger!
teach566 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheri

Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Last year I had a parent who requested that I let his son out of the classroom everyday during math for 15 minutes so that he "could take a dump." He said that he wanted his child to develop regular habits and that 1:00 pm was supposed to be the best time to go.
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarian26

Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

These are great!

I once had a parent call my house at 6:15 a.m. to ask what their child should wear to school today.

The backhanded compliment of the year came when a parent told me how wonderful I was because their child felt comfortable enough around me to have a bowel movement. Unfortunately, it was usually in his pants and without warning. YUK
aquarian26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Balloony

Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Oh, my goodness, after reading these, even my most insane parent seems sane! I think I have misjudged the poor woman!

My insane parent story: She called the principal on me because she was FURIOUS that I sent her daughter home with a pack of 10 pencils. (The child did her homework in pen, so I was just trying to be helpful in case they didn't have any pencils at home.) The mom's complaint--I didn't sharpen them!
Balloony is offline   Reply With Quote

dellminiwhite

Kinder parent sing along
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

The teacher next door to me just had to wonder about a parent who entered into her room one morning, while class was in session and came into class with his dog. He sat on the carpet, with doggy on his lap, and asked the teacher if he could sing songs with the kids. The teacher, not really knowing what to do or say, was hoping he would leave. Parent begins to actually sing two songs with the kiddos. The teacher finally had him leave. The parent has not returned since.
dellminiwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Suezie

Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I had a parent show up 20 minutes before the end of the day. The classroom was quiet and all the kids were in their desks writing a SS test, or silent reading if they had finished the test.

She was quiet and asked me if the students were in trouble. I said no, they were in the middle of a test. She looked a little shocked -- half the time she didn't know when her child had a test even though she signed the agenda nightly, and had signed the test notice slip.

Then she asked if she could speak with her child as she had something important to tell her. The child was done the test so I let her go in the hallway with the mom.

When the child returned, she had to tell me the important news that mom needed to share prior to dismissal. The mom had bought a new kitten and wanted to know what they should call it!!!
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

These are unbelievable! I read these and thanked my lucky stars that my stories would never make the cut. Then I started to think... these should be published or somehow shared with the folks who think we have it too easy. God bless us one and all.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I had a student in 5th grade. He joined our class in November. Mine was his 4th school of the year as he was kicked out of the other 3. He was about 3 years behind the other children, but mom REFUSED any help. In fact she got very angry when she saw an assistant reading with him. She said, "he knows he's behind and it's up to him to catch up...don't nobody help him!"
I had a hard time getting him to listen. Mom wanted me to grab his ear and twist it and say, "don't make me hit you boy!"

Recently a parent informed my team member that they were withdrawing from our school in May and heading over seas. They aren't planning on enrolling their child in the new school until next year, but want to email my team mate all the kid's independent work and have my team mate evaluate and grade it for them.
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Bamamarinemom

Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Way to go!
Bamamarinemom is offline   Reply With Quote

apr707

life is stranger than fiction
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I had a parent request that I need to get someone build extra bathroom stalls so her daughter doesn't have to wait. She said if I was afraid to ask, then she would go to the board of education and complain about me...still have the same amount of stalls.

This is not a bizarre request, but...
years ago, a colleague and her assistant received thongs from Victoria's Secret (in the little pink bag too) for a christmas present. The parent said that the child picked them out herself!!!
apr707 is offline   Reply With Quote

ReadnTchNY

Crazy event
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I had a lot of crazy parent stories but the craziest thing that ever happened to me didn't involve a parent.

I taught fifth grade on the second floor of my building and we had a wall of rather large windows that faced a pretty busy street. As I was circulating the class while my students were working on morning work I saw a car screech to a halt against a curb acroos the street and what looked like a teenage driver jump out and take off running down the street. Moments later the front of the car burst into flames.

Amazed by what had happened I decided to get my class into the hallway because we could feel the heat from the classroom. When I called the office to report what had happened they did not believe me until they saw it for themselves.

Turns out the car had been stolen but no word as to why it went up in flames.
ReadnTchNY is offline   Reply With Quote
ausgabs

ausgabs

Dog story
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

We had a male parent who used to sit in the classroom of a new teacher with his dog on his lap. When told this was not appropriate, he took his children to another school!!!

aerofan

Friday Homework
Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I had a parent who requested homework on the Friday before the week it was due because of her son's FOOTBALL practice. I got all the reading, math and spelling homework together every Friday. Then she complained her son didn't know HOW to do the homework. Duh! Gotta teach it first lady!
aerofan is offline   Reply With Quote

FirstGrader

toothless
Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I had a parent ask me to encourage little JR to pull his tooth out because he looked so ugly with that tooth just hanging there.
FirstGrader is offline   Reply With Quote

canuckteach

I was called to the office one morning
Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

before school started. It seems the father of one of my grade two students wanted to see me. I went into the office, looked around, saw a man who did not look familiar to me, nor did he approach me either. The secretary was busy, so I left the office and went back to my room. Five minutes later I'm paged to the office again. I returned and the secretary said "this is the father of one of the students in your class. He needs to speak to you about today's field trip." I asked him what his child's name was and he gave me a name that I did not recognize. I asked him if his child went by another name in school. He said no. I asked him which field trip he was referring to, as my class was not scheduled to go on a field trip that day, nor any other day in the immediate future. For five minutes this man argued with me that his son was in my class. Finally, I asked the secretary to run off a class list so that I could prove to him that his child was not in my class. We went through the list - sure enough, no child by that name. Suddenly, the father looks at me, looks at the secretary and says "Isn't this *such and such school*? He was at the wrong school... Sweetheart that the secretary is, she looked up the address of the school that he named. He then asked me for a ride over to that school. How many parents do not know the location of the school that their child goes to? Oh, and I didn't honour his request of driving him to the school.

Last edited by canuckteach; 04-09-2011 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
canuckteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teach3rd

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I had a dad of one of my students look up my number in the phone book. I had moved but I guess it gave the forwarding number. He called and asked me to go to the movies to watch James Bond. He said that his daughter said I was really nice and pretty. He then gave me the sob story after I politely told him that I did not date my student's parents, that his daughter really needed a mother since her mother had died. A couple of months later his "mail order bride" chaperoned out field trip and she didn't speak any English.
teach3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

pkthru3

Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

WOW that's crazy
pkthru3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I had a mom interrupt class this week because she had just realized that her first grader had her cell phone (this was after 1pm). The whole family (mom, infant, daughter, and two younger sisters) paraded through the halls and to the room to dig out the cell phone that my little darling "forgot" to give back to mom at home.

This is the same family who brought the younger sisters to PT conferences and let them draw all over my whiteboard with crayola markers!
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

L8 4 School

Years ago...
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

I had a parent ask to borrow money from me so that she could feed her family dinner. I think I only had $10 in my purse. It never happened again and she paid me back the next day. It was just very awkward.
L8 4 School is offline   Reply With Quote

yoliver01

Omg
Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

these parents are absolutely NUTTY!!!
WOW!!! I wish a parent WOULD try to tell me something about when to have a baby!!!!!!!!
i don't think so
yoliver01 is offline   Reply With Quote

kcall043

Too Young
Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

I am 22 years old, a May 2010 graduate, and a first year teacher. I have had multiple parents ask me this year is it even legal for me to be a teacher. They think that like getting your driver's license you should be a certain age to get your teaching certificate. I wonder what age they had in mind?
kcall043 is offline   Reply With Quote

kathyharrison

Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I agree that these should be published somewhere! They are hilarious!!
kathyharrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I guess asking for a word for word script of my entire day is nothing compared to what the others were asked!

Last edited by Munchkins; 04-20-2011 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: boring compared to all the others!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

Speced9

I've got two from the same parent/grandparent
Old 04-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

I had a student with cognitive disabilities whose mother and grandmother were both limited as well. The first story is from our first parent conference. Both mom and grandma came to the conference and brought the student as well. Just before they came, they had picked up some fundraiser items the child had sold.

I started with the conference, but I could slowly see mom and grandma's attention shifting to the fundraiser items. They'd turn around and look at them a lot. Then, grandma literally got up and went over to the boxes of stuff and began going through them WHILE I WAS TALKING. Before I knew it, mom had joined her and had left me and the student at the table alone. They weren't even listening to me at that point. So, I asked the student if she'd like a treat. We both went to the lounge and had a piece of cake. When we returned to the classroom 15 minutes later, mom and grandma didn't even miss us! They were still taking fundraiser inventory!

This same grandma and mom came to me one morning saying that they had a special "show and tell" for my class. They then informed me that they had a couple of local professional wrestlers coming to my class! I can't remember both names, but one was called THE MISSISSIPPI MADMAN. I said, "Well, I really don't think that bringing wrestlers to the classroom is a very good role model for the kids given that they tend to cuss and fight on the wrestling shows."

The mom says, "Oh, they're real good with kids!"

I basically had to tell them that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was I having any madmen from Mississippi in my classroom! Believe it, or not, they took that as a major insult and never contacted me, or attended a parent conference, or IEP meeting again!
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

Bizarre Comments/Requests
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

Oh these are just too funny.

While teaching Kindergarten I was asked by a parent what I was planning on buying her child for her birthday.

I have also had a parent emphatically tell Administration that I will never teach her child because I have gray hair and her daughter is terrified of gray hair. I wanted to tell the mom to look in the mirror.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

wow...I am amazed by some of these stories! Mine pales in comparison to some of these, but here they are.

When I was teaching preschool (was at a daycare while going to college to get my degree), I had a parent tell my that her dd didn't know how to wipe her bottom after going poop, and that I needed to do it for her. I told her that I would NOT do it, but I would teach her. So, I stood outside the stall giving directions, with this little girl crying and demanding "Mrs. C, wipe my butt!!". Needless to say, she was able to do it on her own after a few weeks of "coaching".

I had another parent several years later give our fifth grade class a set of "special" scissors for our craft center and a bookshelf, because she noticed that I didn't have enough shelf space for all my books. I assumed these were a gift to our class. At the end of the year, I made her mad because her dd was making a C....she came to the school, unloaded my shelf and took it, and then asked for the scissors. Two of the scissors were nowhere to be found. She was furious that I had lost these, and said they were on loan. She reported me to the principal.
twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

I had a mother-in-law like that, Twinangels
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

When my ex and I divorced, she came over and took every single gift she ever gave me from birthdays and Christmas. So, there I was back at our place to pack up my stuff and I'd say, "What happened to my desk lamp?"

"Oh, mom took it back."

"My desk chair?"

"Mom took it back"

This went on and on with quite a few things.

Finally, after about 2 months of freedom, my ex calls and tells me her mother wants a computer game her mom bought for me. I basically told her to tell her mom to shove it.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

museumuse

My requests run the gamut
Old 04-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Over my 36 year career, I have worked in affluent as well as Title 1 schools. At each school I have experienced my share of *blink* blink* requests.
  • I was asked to refrain from calling CPS because of a hand imprint on her daughter's face. She held her own hand up to my student's face to show it was not she who had done the slapping. EGAD!
  • A mom showed up one very warm spring day to chaperone our Pizza Farm trip, in a halter top, and asked me to pop a zit on her back. LAWD!
  • I had a 102 pound first grader in my class one year. His mom ask me to wipe her son's bum after a BM. Oh heck no.
  • Prepare 2 months worth of daily work so my student could go to Prague with his parents. I asked if they would be teaching the concepts prior to having him do the independent practice...they said no...He was a gifted student so I bought him a travel journal and asked that he journal his travels. (I did send his books and estimated where we'd be when he returned. They never came back to the states. Goodness!
  • I received a sugar bowl for Mother's Day from a student (including rock hard sugar...and a spoon stuck in the sugar).Luckily I put it in a ziplock bag and kept it at school, because at the end of the year, the mom asked for it to be returned. OK...
Makes life interesting to realize how different we all are and how we coexist on this planet, doesn't it?
museumuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended
Make their friend Legal
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

Of course a parent's guy friend, needed to be hooked up with an American female to marry, so he could become legal. :-) Their friend was an illegal ailen.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

twinangels

Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

wow speced...that was ballsy of her mom!!!
twinangels is offline   Reply With Quote

purplecrayon

Mattress Factory/Secretary??
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Thankfully, my stories have nothing to do with wiping (thank goodness - and my best regards to those who were asked to do such CRAZY things!)

Last year, one of my students was absent over 80 days of school (pretty much because mom was single and wanted someone to hang out with). Towards the beginning of the year, when I began to notice the trend, I called mom to ask if she needed anything for her daughter, homework, tutoring - I was even willing to drop work off at her house (which was a few blocks from the school). But no, mom said what she really needed was a mattress. WHAT???

One year, I received a message on my cell phone during the school day from a parent asking me to let her daughter know that she had bought her a dress for some special occasion - I had become this child's secretary!

Another parent asked me to make their son do push ups if he was misbehaving in school - ummmm... no thank capital punishment.
purplecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote

sky22

parents
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I had a little girl come to school with a note asking me to remove the swollen tick from her daughter's head because she couldn't stand to touch it.
(I took the little girl to the school nurse who happened to be there that day)

A parent who said they would provide the drinks for our party sent the child to school with two packages of Koolaid. No pitcher, no sugar, no cups, just the two unmade packages of Kool aid. I assume that they wanted me to make it and serve it somehow.

Had a note from a parent requesting that I let their child lay their head on their desk and sleep for a little while because they had a late night the night before.

Had a parent say that they would love to chaperone our field trip, but could they bring their two year old and four year old along on the trip. (Can't imagine that they would be much of a chaperone if they were dealing with a two and four year old)

Can't count the number of times parents have sent medicine to school asking me to give it to them at a certain time. (we are not allowed to dispense any medicine in class) I send it to the office.

I know in my 30 years of teaching there's many more, but these are all I can remember right now.
sky22 is offline   Reply With Quote