Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Birthday Party

>

Sprite

Birthday Party
Old 12-04-2019, 08:12 PM

I'm not so good at ordering food for parties. I usually get nervous and over order. Anyway, I am trying to get the food order tentatively ready for James's first birthday party. His party is on December 15th.

Here's the list of "to do's" ...

1. Order Cakes
2. Order Cake toppers/decorations
3. Plates, cups, silverware etc.
4. Order baby shark shirts for everyone
5. Order food
6. Get drinks
7. Order balloons
8. Ball pit for babies
9. Put up the tree
10. Order stockings
11. 1st birthday photos taken
12. order/make smash cake
13. birthday outfit for James
14. Birthday gift for James
15. Family Christmas photos taken @ JCP
16. Decorations/background for party/Make photo banner
17. Final headcount for party finalize food
18. Make decorations/skirt banner for highchair
19. Check with mom about what else needs to be done for party
20. Pick up cake/food/drinks/etc.
21. Decorate
22. Thank everyone for coming *party favors (bag of candy? Shark cookies?)

What am I missing???

When it comes to food.. I get the most nervous. The cake is from Costco. It's half a sheet and should feed 50 people (I believe?)

For the food... I am going to have catering. Should I also get a few fruit/veggie trays for appetizers? For dessert is cake only okay?

I invited 35 people and think about 25 will be able to attend.

Drinks will be non-alcoholic. For 25 people how many cases of pop would you get? Maybe 3 (12 pack) cases of pop and 1 case of bottled water?

1 - 12 pack coke
1-12 pack diet coke
1- 12 pack sprite
1 case (80 - 8 oz) of mini-bottled waters from Costco

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Good to see you posting Sprite. How is James doing? Your list looks pretty thorough but I wouldn't do a ball pit with babies for safety and health reasons. Food list looks easy and yes,I would put veggie and fruit trays out for appetizers.

Last edited by anna; 12-04-2019 at 08:53 PM..
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-05-2019, 06:25 AM

Will you adopt me?

Truthfully, I know you are excited, but that just seems overkill to me. Baby James will be overwhelmed with that many people in the first place. One balloon will entertain a baby. Shark shirts for everyone? And then a treat bag, too? Isn't a shirt a treat?

You have many more birthdays to come. Scale back and just enjoy having a baby and a birthday. Don't make it so stressful (and something to keep up with and "beat" every year.) Too much of that going on these days.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Baby James first BD
Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Good to hear he’s getting better and ready for his first birthday.

I know you are proud as punch, but he is only one. Lower your stress level and the amount of “birthday whoop-dee”. He doesn’t need a special cake...cut a slice of the Costco one. One outfit is plenty - the cake will wash off.

Is the ball pit for other children? If not, he is too young for it. Nor does his high chair need decorating.

Yes to the food and beverages. The caterer should know how much to bring. I would add in one more box of soda...either coke or Diet Coke. A decorated cookie is a terrific goody bag favor.

My daughter wanted to break the bank and her sanity with GS’s first birthday. I helped her dial it back a bit. He’s 3 and even she admits it was a bit over the top.

One more thing...is all the tree decorating stuff for his birthday or for the holidays? Any chance you can get a helper for the tree decorating?
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-05-2019, 06:38 AM

One more thing... as a Christmas baby, you might consider holding off on the tree until after his birthday. Make the day his and not something he shares with the holiday. He will appreciate that when he is older.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 12-05-2019, 12:13 PM

I want to say have fun celebrating the birthday!!
I have a relative who plans her children's birthday parties 3-6 months in advance. She talks with her kids ,and they decide a theme together. She then orders all the non-perishable things well in advance so that the closer the big day comes, it's less stressful running around to buy things and make things( goodie bags, decorations, games, etc. )! Also, you never know what unexpected thing might come up that will prevent you from preparing for the big day, so she does a lot of it before the actual day ! She really enjoys preparing for the party, and finds a lot of her ideas on Pinterest !
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote