Help

The VENT

Found out I was non-renewed this afternoon

>

I ♥ cats

Found out I was non-renewed this afternoon
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am still in shock. I was not given a reason. We knew that one position would be cut due to lower student numbers for next year, but I didn't expect it to be me. My evaluations have all been fine and I was even praised for my high test scores, however when I questioned my principal about why he just kept saying "I felt we needed to move in a different direction." That doesn't sound too good to me, but if he had a problem with my teaching wouldn't I have known by now? It was an extremely awkward conversation and he basically refused to answer all the questions I asked. He said he would be happy to write me a letter of recommendation. My husband thinks this is money-related as I am probably the highest paid teacher at my school (15 years + masters + National Boards certification). If it was due to money though why wouldn't he just say that?

I know many of you have been through this but I never have. I've been in tears all afternoon. My husband has been out of work for a while and I carry our health insurance. I don't know what we'll do now. Of course I'll start looking for another job immediately and I know I can get unemployment. I am so hurt as I have put my all into this job for the past 2 years. I've also served in several leadership capacities (at P's request) this year, so how bad could I be? Now I feel used! It's going to be really hard to get through these last weeks of school. Not sure how I'm going to do that yet.

I ♥ cats is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what to say except that I'm so sorry. I wish your principal was able to answer your questions because I know it hurts when you don't have answers.
You sound like an excellent teacher, so hopefully some school district realizes it and hires you.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry!!!!!!!!!!

I thought your DH had a new job, but it was not in the same area as you. Did I miss something?
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Chanticlear

My prayers are with you.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Will you not be considered for a transfer to another school in the district?
Chanticlear is offline   Reply With Quote
sneakers2

sneakers2

K12
Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been through this -more than once in 20 years. Don't take this too personally. Focus on the kids and what you need to do to wrap up the year. Throw your energy into the job hunt not into second guessing motives. It's difficult if you have formed relationships withing the teaching staff, but more is waiting for you. Begin to take an inventory of lessons and teaching situations that have gone particularly well for you. You'll need these as you begin the interview process. Good luck and as always in teaching - there is next year!

g8rFan
Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
This message has been deleted by g8rFan.

mimi77

job
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

i <3 cats... I am so sorry to hear about your job. I hope it works out well for you in the long run. That would be so shocking to you, I know. Hugs.
mimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You have so much to offer a classroom of kids. Hang in there and know that this had nothing to do with your abilities and everything to do with the financial bottom line.It's too bad the admin didn't have the guts to tell you the truth. Gladly take the unemployment,remember not to sign a resignation letter,walk out the door on the last day with all your things and keep your head held high.

((( poster and family)))
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

so sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
If it was due to money though why wouldn't he just say that?
I think that would be illegal, so he wouldn't be able to say it. It could explain his awkwardness, though.

I'm so sorry. I hope you get a great new position soon. (Is there any chance this position might be reinstated?)
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I'm so sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think you were used, your strengths were recognized and you helped out the school. This is why you will get a strong recommendation. It does sound like it's due to finances, and nothing to do with you personally. You are a professional, and you will focus on the kids and get through the last few weeks of school. Keep your head held high- you did nothing wrong, you are the victim of politics. (((hugs))) I will keep you in my prayers as you seek another teaching job.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

h0kie

We're in the same boat.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The exact same thing happened to my DH a week after Spring Break (different qualifications, but same horrible situation). We're still coming to terms with it a month later. I know how you feel or at least how your husband might be feeling. Like the rug has been ripped out from under you.

I'm around if you want to PM. Just fyi, I seem to be stuck in the Angry part of the grieving process. The crying seems to have subsided. It's sad that DH is handling his lay off better than I am.

h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Old 05-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our district is finding ways to axe tenured teachers because of money. They don't follow the process for the tenured teacher but make life so hard they give up after nearly having a nervous breakdown in the process of protecting their jobs. It's happened 3 times in the last few weeks. Our new supt. only looks at dollars, not lives.

Hang in there--it probably is due to money but if you are non-tenured they don't have to tell you a reason, it's just the way it is. We'll be praying for you to find a new, better position as soon as possible. I'm sure you are an excellent teacher--this is just the kind of thing that schools are doing to "save money". Unfortunately, it is not about the kids anymore.
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope you are able to find a new job soon.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am not tenured. You have to teach 4 years to be tenured and I've only been in the district for 2 years. I don't know if the position could be reinstated but it doesn't sound like it.

Teachnkids - DH did have a new job, but then started having major back problems and found out he has some pretty serious spinal issues that will likely need surgery (not sure how that will happen now). The company he was with chose not to renew his contract either. He was only on a 90 day temporary one. We just got that news this week too. I guess it's going around in our family. He is getting short term disability but shortly we will BOTH be unemployed. Scary.

I am just wondering how much one person can be expected to take...

abcteacher

Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am so sorry you are going through this. I would be a total mess. However, I do believe things happen for a reason and everything seems to work out in the end. PT is a great place to vent and look for support. Good luck. (((Hugs)))
abcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Sorry to hear that.

It's tough to be on the side that has to decide who has to go, too. We're in that position right now. We're going to be losing two people, and we have seven non-tenured people on the staff. It's not as simple as letting the "bad" teacher go or letting the last-hired go. We have to look at certifications and the school needs.

Out of our 7 non-tenured people, one who has to go may end up being someone who is up for tenure this year. That really stinks, but that may be what has to happen.

I was let go and then rehired four times before I landed my current position. I knew that I hadn't done anything wrong, but it was still a bad feeling to be let go. Our teachers will know next week who is staying and who is going.

Hopefully you can find another position soon!
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

Cats~
Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

So sorry-that stinks! (((hugs)))
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

different direction
Old 05-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I take it you don't have a union. I am so sad to see this happen to all the teachers that have put their heart and soul into their career. ((((((hugs))))))))
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Please know that we all wish we could give you an in-person hug.
bandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

zdebgo

Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Sorry to hear this. ((HUGS))
zdebgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Bee Reads

Ijmo
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

15 years+masters+NBC=lots of money to your district and it is very sad to say that due to financial problems schools are having, they can hire a new teacher just out of school for alot less. SO UNFAIR, BUT SO TRUE!

Sending ((((())))) to you!
Ms Bee Reads is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

That's awful
Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

You deserve to know why. You shouldn't be left wondering what happened. It's not fair to you. I'm very sorry this has happened to you. I wish you the best of luck in finding another job.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

I'm sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am sorry you are going through this. I know it sounds corny but this is what usually helps me. Things happen for a reason. We don't always know what the reason is at the time. I hope things turn around and improve for you and your husband quickly.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I'm so sorry!
Old 05-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We are in a similar situation here with my school closing and dh retiring from the Army.

Here's hoping you land on your feet quickly and things improve with your dh's health.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

So sorry for your loss
Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

It sounds like a painful situation that is hitting you out of the blue. You are worried about your husband's health and doubting of your own professional capacities because of it. I am sorry to hear the emotion in your post and that you have to go through this.

I hope I don't offend, but know that God has a plan for you and this challenge is part of it. It doesn't make sense and might seem so out of line with what we know about Him. He is a loving God, and I will pray for Him to continue to be faithful to you and your family. It will be hard, but I know in the end you will come to understand what He has meant for you.

Hang in there and come here any time you need a (((hug))).
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderteachnc

Cats
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I am so sorry to hear. I know you moved there not so long ago and bought a house. It does sound like the "different direction" has to do with "we need someone in a cheaper pay scale direction." It will be stressful but like many others have said, things happen for a reason and we don't know why. I have had some personal stressors like you are having now with dh not working, and he made more than half the money, along with medical issues with him etc. We really had to buckle down and rethink things. He did file and qualify for permanent disability but we had no income but mine from July to the end of Jan. it was tough, but have faith that things will only get better. I'll be thinking and praying for you.
kinderteachnc is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

My heart is breaking for you ((((((((((((cats))))))))))))). This makes no sense and I agree it sounds like you are expensive which is silly because you are worth every cent! I am praying he has a change of heart and/or a smart school snaps you up ASAP!!!!!
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

so sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am so sorry. For what it's worth, I agree that it is probably all about money and is nothing personal.
JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

Dutchie's Mom

Union?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Does your school have a union? If so you should address this situation with them. There should be more answers to your questions. If the principal will not give them to you then the union should be able to find out.

I am so sorry to hear you have to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn4Life146

Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Just want to say I'm sorry.
Learn4Life146 is offline   Reply With Quote

renielen

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I love cats, just wanted to say how sorry that you are going through this. You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.
renielen is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:
I carry our health insurance.
Talk to the district insurance coordinator who can tell you about COBRA insurance coverage. It will allow you to keep your coverage for up to 18 months.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 05-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I am so sorry. My heart just goes out to you.

Does your state not have tenure? In FL theey cannot refuse to renew our contracts unless we do have a bad evaluation. I wish something like that were in place for you. It's just not fair, 15 years with good evaluations, wow!

(((((HUGS)))) and lots of prayers.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

OD

I'm bitter for you
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

They knew of your experience and masters when they hired you two years ago.

I'm so sorry. Positive thoughts being sent your way!
OD is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

rif
Old 05-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

While I am a strong union supporter, this may not be a good time to go to the union. If you are not tenured their help will be limited. Read your contract. Does it address this issue? It may be best to just take the recommendation and look elsewhere. If you make it a huge union issue you may be left with no recommendation and no likelihood of another job... another reason why tenure is so important.!
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

I am so sorry
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

to hear your terrible news! I am sure you are devastated. It's quite a blow, especially with the other things going on. (((hugs)))
suzyteach is online now   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-07-2011, 12:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Quote:
It's just not fair, 15 years with good evaluations, wow!
Nancy, I haven't been in this district for 15 years, just 2. Those 15 years were accumulated teaching in 3 different states. Since I only have 2 years, I am not tenured. Therefore I can be non-renewed at the end of any year.

Quote:
They knew of your experience and masters when they hired you two years ago.
Yes, and this is starting to make my really angry. My qualifications were supposedly the very reasons they hired me.

We don't have a union, just a local NEA chapter which I am a member of. However, as Susan said, I'm not sure I want to rock the boat too much especially since it's not an "official" union. My inclination is to take my recommendation and get out. Now the question is whether I'll be "too expensive" for other districts. I never thought being highly qualified would work against me rather than for me!

Carolyn

I am so sorry!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I had the same news in April one year when contracts were being handed out. The explanation I was given was that I was the last one hired, so I was the first one to be let go. I, too, was crushed, but I tried to understand.

As for your principal, I don't understand this part about "move in a different direction." If it were me, I would get a complete explanation of why I was leaving in writing. Too bad you do not have a union to support you. Talk with Human Resources. Make an appointment to see them, if necessary. Don't burn your bridges, since you could be rehired in this school or another school in the district. Ask about the possibility of being reinstated, since you are a teacher in good standing.

I know how it is where I work. We do not really have tenure. There really is not any union support, just a teacher organization that does not have a lot of power, so things like this happen all of the time down here.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-07-2011, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I am not the last one hired. I know of at least 4 people hired after me, however, they are all first-year or new teachers with probably 3 or less years total of experience, so they are much less expensive than I am. I feel singled out and I hate not knowing why. If I did something wrong then how can I fix it if I don't know WHAT I did? DH keeps telling me not to take it personally, that it's all about money, but I can't help it. And I don't even know for sure that it's about money - it's just the only explanation I can come up with.

momteach310

Old 05-07-2011, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you. If you aren't the last one hired then that would be another reasons I think they owe you an explanation. Try to stay positive - as one door closes another door opens! Hope it opens soon!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Will your principal help you find another job
Old 05-07-2011, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I am in a similar position in that I have been teaching for 14 years, but this is only my second year in the district I am working in now. (And last year I was on an annual contract.) My principal told me a couple weeks ago that allocations weren't in, but unfortunately, I would be the first one on the chopping block. He told me not to worry, though, because if he couldn't keep me at my school, he would make sure I got hired at another school in the district. I thought that was very sweet of him. Even better, he called me at home one night last week to tell me that the numbers were in and I was safe.

I would get that letter of recommendation and start networking!

Good l luck.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

chronicfun

I'm sorry
Old 05-07-2011, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

to hear your news! That's horrible!! I was wondering as I read all the posts if you went into the principal and offered to take less money, if they'd reconsider. A job with less pay is better than no job. I wonder about this here in Wisconsin with all the more experienced/expensive teachers who will be let go. If they want to stay and take less money, would the admin. let them?
chronicfun is offline   Reply With Quote

fly guys girl

wow...
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

the world is screaming for highly qualified teachers... and if what you are assuming is true... they can't afford us... This is why Unions are so important to support... It is a scary time... our RIF notices come out on Fri. the 13th, no less... Shouldn't the world be screaming about supporting our teachers? Students? Communities? My heart breaks for you - I have been through it... and my prayers are with you and your family... Please keep reminding yourself that life does have a funny way of working itself out. As one of my first graders says, "The Karma that you throw out into the world comes back to you"... Keep your head up.
fly guys girl is offline   Reply With Quote

graciegurl101

For I Love Cats.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

My friend who had taught about 17 yrs plus with a masters had this happen too. She also earned a lot of money and had gotten a job close to home and family where she grew up even. Well, she had been there two years and the principal RIF 'd her and another high wage earning teach who had very good SOL scores. So she chose to go to work in a very country area where there are farms even, now she drives about an hour each way, but loves her new district and she is very happy. Her principal's letter helped and was required anyway, but she feels secure and loves this district, it is very rural but they are more empathetic and less jaded about the non renewals and she is renewed. Hope your DH gets better and the doc can help him be himself soon. But I bet you have a contract before school is out somewhere with all that experience and those qualifications.
graciegurl101 is offline   Reply With Quote

I ♥ cats

Old 05-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words and advice. I cried most of last night and am still somewhat in shock today, but I'm better. I am spending this afternoon applying for jobs. I figure if I throw enough applications against the wall, something has to stick. Truthfully though, I am scared and my self-worth as a teacher is now in the toilet. Because he didn't give me a reason, I keep thinking I must have done something wrong. No clue what it would be. Besides having good evals, I've always gotten along well with my P and all the staff. I'm not on anyone's sh#t list that I know of.

I am so embarrassed to be the only one let go from our staff. Out of everyone (and there are some stinkers, but they are tenured!) I was the one chosen to go. I know logically that I've done nothing to be ashamed of, but emotionally I am embarrassed and I fear that everyone will think I've done something terrible to be let go. I am dreading the next few weeks. It will be very hard to keep up appearances and be professional at school, but of course that's what I'll do. I definitely want to take the high road here although it will be really difficult.

Happy Knitter

a different direction
Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

That's probably something he was just taught to say in such a situation. My principal taught us to always say when dealing with angry parents, "What would like me to do?" sometimes I say this and it doesn't really fit the situation and can cause a really awkward conversation. If your principal kept saying the same thing again and again, I'm sure it was just a stock phrase he kept falling back on. I'm sure it can't be easy to let go a great teacher for no reason.

If you did something wrong, he wouldn't be willing to write you a recommendation. I'm so sorry you're facing this situation. It makes my heart hurt because none of us are really safe right now and most of us love what we do.
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

love'em

no reason
Old 05-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

He didn't give you a reason because he didn't HAVE a reason. It sounds like it's all money. It's absolutely ridiculous how little we value the educators in our country. But here we are.

Don't let this tank your teacher self-worth. You know that's crazy. Deep breath, chin up, and moving forward to bigger and better.
love'em is offline   Reply With Quote

Molly's Mom

I am so sorry.....
Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

that this is happening to you. I know you're still in shock from the news-but keep a stiff upper lip at school with your head held high. You know the work that you have done and you must feel proud of that. Don't let this this shake your confidence. I have had my confidence shaken through similar circumstances, but I came back- stronger! Please have faith that this is only a temporary roadblock. Let everyone know that you are looking for a job- network- your experience, evaluations, and personal references will speak volumes. Employers understand that good people are being let go-through no fault of their own- just the economic times that we are in. Praying for your family.
Molly's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

to all those laid off....I send you prayers of peace and confidence as you look at the road ahead.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr45th

It sounds trite
Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

but thngs will be ok. For now, there is nothing you can change but you. Hold your head high, be polite, professional and positive. Tell Prin you have appreciated the opportunity to have had 2 years to work at the school and schmooze him. You want..you NEED the letter of rec and you need him to write more than a lamo letter. One thing that was suggested to me was that I ask my supt for a letter containing things I'd like him to mention. I was afraid to do that. But then, he gave me this 1 paragraph milk toast white bread letter that said nothing about me. It took guts, and I did cry, but I went in and asked if he could add that I had strengths in lang arts, math, had high test scores, and built positive relationships with kids and parents and had never in 9 yrs had a parent complaint. He did and it was a much more specific letter. Also, ask EVERYONE for a letter of rec. I found some of them were stellar and some were really badly written.(and give them a date--by the last day of school-teachers are notorious procrastinators) I asked teachers at every level--who knew what I'd apply for--and I also had 3 parent letters. I had about 15 letters to choose from when I put my app together. I used the ones most pertinent to the job I was applying for.

I was in the same situation as you last year. Declining enrollmt, budget cuts, etc. I worked my tail of prepping for an interview and edited my cover letter and resume daily. I studied interview techniques and was called for interviews for every job I applied for. Fortunately, I was offered the 2nd job I interviewed for. I cancelled the other interviews and took the job.

Last year my summer was so dark. Nothing could have been more grim. I never imagined I would be where I am now. People said, "Everything happens for a reason," or "Something better will come up," and they were no consolation--but maybe they just had to say something. But, I am happy today---and I guess you could say they were right. My former school has a lot of staff acrimony and I no longer have to deal with that. I do not take my job for granted. Budget cuts are still happening and enrollment is unpredictable--I have a job today, but when the state budget cuts slash education again, (and they will) I may lose my job in August--who knows? I have already heard I may have to teach another grade next year. With seniority I am next but I am enjoying my job, the school, and the kids. I look forward to each day and when I hear about drama from the old school, I think "Good thing I am not dealing with that....Maybe, things did happen for a reason."

Hang in there.
tchr45th is offline   Reply With Quote

littlelindalo

Cat's message
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

What a mess. So lousy. It's happening in different parts of the US. Friends have had similar experiences. That's why "they" want to weaken unions, so this kind of thing will be more common place, and the bottom line will be the deciding factor. Would you be able to get into a nearby district that does have a teacher's union? Try to hang in there. It's hard, but those students need you and more teachers like you!
littlelindalo is offline   Reply With Quote

dmarie

Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

What?? Really?? I was just told at my final evaluation (3 years) That I was not getting a contract. My princapal expired my contract, she said i was to laid back. She was in my room once for 20 min. all year. I teach 3rd grade. ALL my kids passed FCAT last year, still waiting for results this year...I still am in shock!!! What does this mean? All my evaluations were great.... How can she judge me never seeing me teach??? How will this look when I go look for a new job????
My husband lost his job three weeks ago? agghhhhh
I feel so helpless...
dmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
canolli

canolli

Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I too am in your position and feel very very shocked!

I have been teaching for 7 years: 5 in private and 2 in public. The transition from private to public was tough! I believed I was making adequate progress but I guess not enough because I recieved my letter in March.

I have also been walking around in shock. I can't believe it. I am nervous and scared. I left my old job without having another one but that was on my own accord. I had the confidence and courage to put myself out there. In this current situation, I do not. This scares me!

I have an interview tomorrow and am nervous as hell! I choose to resign in leiu of a non-renew. I am not sure if this is going to come back and bite me or not. Had I of chose the non-renew, at least I would have been honest. I feel like I am lying right from the get go.

One thing I am trying to keep very close to my heart is that it isn't personal! It can't be! I am a good teacher who cares about her students. I want them all to succeed! I do not just sit behind my desk but try everyday to try anything I can to get them engaged!

Try to stay positive! This is at least what I am trying to do!
D1314

D1314

Frustrated
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I too lost my job with no explanation! I was told in December they were going to hire me full time and then poof! in March I was told I was not going to be recommended for next year. I have been teaching for 5 years, but this is the first in this district. I was laid off from the previous school, due to budget cuts, and I left a job to go to one closer to where I live (which is where I was laid off) What really stinks is last year I had no teaching job, was on unemployment. Then I was hired at two different districts. I turned the one down that was far from where I live to pick the one closest to my home. I felt that this was the one, haha was I wrong. My evaluations were good, and No explanation.
There should be someone out there that can help teachers who are good teachers, with good evaluations. It is just plain WRONG for school districts to let you go for no reason. If anyone out there can help please advise. I am at a loss right now, I don't even want to apply anymore because it is so frustrating. Who would want to hire me know 3 districts in 5 years? I too have continued my education, but did not get a master's. I have the equivalent of one. I live in a very rural area and I teach family and consumer science and there are not many of those jobs around. If anyone can suggest or help I will be more than happy to hear what you have to say. Thanks

mpiggi

So Sorry!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I know just how you feel! I cried every day! It's like being diviorced and you were not the problem! I wish you the best of luck and I believe you are such a great teacher that you will find a job soon!
mpiggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms Honey

I have been RIF'd 3 times!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

The first time during my first year teaching, the principal called me to come back to work in July. In hindsight, I wish I would have taken her up on the offer but I was really hurt and I had committed to a position at a different school. It was really difficult for me to get accustomed to another new school.

Maybe your principal will call you to come back when the budget numbers are lined up properly later this summer. If I were you I would even call this principal back in July to see if they would be willing to bring you back. You never know.
Ms Honey is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

apparently you do not go by seniority in your school - I'm so sorry
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote