Help

BusyBoard

Acorn activities anyone?

>

Kinderkr4zy

Acorn activities anyone?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a unit on California Native Americans and it ends with a hands on activity day. This year we split up teaching the regions so I only focused on teaching about the tribes from the valley and another teacher does desert, another does mountain, ect. So I focused on the acorn since it was a big thing for the tribes in the valley. The three activities I have done are: acorn grinding with a mortar and pestle, acorn food tasting (I make cookies and tortillas with commercially made acorn flour rotations and they do a compare and contrast writing about acorn foods verses wheat flour foods), and Acorn games - we play this game with the acorn caps-its a game of chance where you shake the caps like rolling dice and get points for the ones that land stem side up instead of hole side up.

Since we have the kids rotating through after only 5 days we dont really have time to train behaviors- Long story short-one class of students with more bad behavior basically broke my mortars and pestles and stomped on the acorn caps and broke several so I am short on supplies and activities for the next 2 groups. I hate for the rest of the kids-who did nothing wrong and havent got to do the acorn activities yet-miss out. What else can we do with acorns that wont require me to buy more mortars and pestles or spend money. I could go for another hike and collect more acorn caps but I refuse to spend another 30-45 dollars to buy more supplies when I just bought the first ones with my own money.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Ideas
Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I google acorn art projects. The three sites below came up. There were other ones but I could not get them to open. I hope they help!

https://homesthetics.net/49-incredib...crafts-pursue/

https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/a...n-craft-ideas/

https://www.craftymorning.com/favorite-acorn-crafts/

I would be super annoyed with the group that destroyed the supplies. It was too bad they could not have been the last rotation, so the other groups would have all got to participate. I am not saying it would have been okay at that point for them to ruin your things.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just a Thought...
Old 11-11-2019, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What great activities you had planned for your Native American study! I am so sorry one class damaged your materials.

The art activities posted above sound wonderful.

I would be sure to send a letter/email to the parents of the class that ruined your materials to let them know what happened. I would word it as an informational letter. Maybe one or more of the parents from that class will replace the materials.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You have some great activities. My kindergarten students do a simple acorn toss activity as one of the rotations for our Thanksgiving activities. I cut out 4 or 5 brown paper circles (with drawn circles for tree rings) and tape them to the floor for tree stumps. Then I place small baskets at a distance away from the stump. The students "stand" on the tree stump and try to toss the acorns into the basket. 1pt for each 1 in the basket. Challenge: Stand on one leg on the stump when tossing the acorns. Tip: I turn a table on its side/drape a table cloth-half over table/half on floor with the baskets sitting on them. It helps contain the acorns so they don't end up all over the room.

Just a question. Do you have any issues with students with tree nut allergies? I had to switch out acorns for the acorn toss activity because several students had tree nut allergies. Last year I substituted with connecting cubes. This year I ordered some fake ones from Amazon.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Just a question. Do you have any issues with students with tree nut allergies? I had to switch out acorns for the acorn toss activity because several students had tree nut allergies. Last year I substituted with connecting cubes. This year I ordered some fake ones from Amazon.
I had this same concern before for my tree nut allergy kids so...I went to internet in search of facts-is it a health concern for them or not?

What I found was that acorns are not actually tree nuts. They are different though related species so being allergic to tree nuts doesn't make you allergic to acorns. There has never been a case of person having an allergic reaction from touching acorns. There has been 2-thats right only 2- cases of allergic reaction from eating acorns but most think that cross contamination was the actual cause as the acorns grew side by side with almond trees and in those cases may have had cross contamination in processing.

So I print up the articles (*which you can find here, and here, and third is attached below-just so I have a full body of facts to present) and give them to the parents and let them decide if they are comfortable with them handling the acorns (I still never let kids with any food allergies eat anything except foods packed by their parent so they dont participate in the tasting activity). Fake acorns is a great idea though in case anyone ever says that they dont want their child to participate.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf treenutallergy (1).pdf (1.14 MB, 3 views)
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 11-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would only speak to the parents of the children who broke things, not the whole class.

iteachk2010

Old 11-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the info on tree nut allergies. I appreciate it.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-11-2019, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...estle-0161772/

Ziploc bag and a rock. Voila! Mortar and Pestle.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote