Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Puerto Rico-What to do?

>

kahluablast

Puerto Rico-What to do?
Old 12-01-2019, 07:33 PM

DH is going on a business trip next week to PR. I bought a ticket to go along, too. We are staying in San Juan at the CONDADO PLAZA HILTON.

What should I do while there? I don't mind doing things alone. He will be working until the next to last day there but I am sure we will do some things in the evening, especially dinner.

Can I walk through Old San Juan alone? I will spend quite a bit of time at the pool or the beach during the day but what else should I do?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-01-2019, 07:46 PM

It's been years since I was in San Juan. Back then the answer would be NO for walking around alone! My mom loves to tell a story, that at 21 I had no clue was happening! Oh to be naive again!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-01-2019, 08:08 PM

During the day I think you would be fine walking around San Juan. I went there with a friend 2-3 years ago and felt safe walking in the town of San Juan. Maybe Iím missing something though...(?).

Have fun! Iím jealous!!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Puerto Rico
Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 PM

PR is on my bucket list!

I would suggest you visit roadscholar.org. They have a variety of tours that you could look at, and then glean spots to visit from those itineraries. Iíve wandered through them, and the one I am most interested in were the more historical spots.

Restoration from the hurricane may be a factor in your travel plans, so be cognizant of that.

Have a wonderful time!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 AM

I think during the day you would be fine in Old San Juan. Stay in the area designated by tourist maps.

Here's a site that has more information about things to see in San Juan:

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/san-ju...s-of-interest/

The historic sites are worth seeing, and the place is beautiful.

Enjoy your visit!

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 12-02-2019, 03:44 AM

As long as you stay in the tourist area, safety should be the same as any other tourist area. No matter if it's San Juan, or Paris, or New York City tourists need to be alert.

If you are nervous about going about alone, join a tour. Once you get there the hotel conceriage will be a good source of advice. Now you can look at Trip Advisor or Viator to see options that are available. Trip Advisor also has reviews that can help with your decision.

Have a great trip.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

canteach

Be sure to tell us what you did afterward.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:53 AM

I have to live vicariously these days. Anywhere warm sounds great, especially today with this rainy, chilly day. It's 36 degrees now and I think the high is supposed to be 40 degrees. Enjoy your trip!
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 AM

I will probably lounge until noon, get lunch and sit at the pool or the beach every single day. . Then I will scurry upstairs to shower and dress for when dh is finished with work so I don't miss dinner. He will scout out local places with good local foods and we will have a drink or two with dinner. Then come back and go to bed!

I really want to hit one of the bio bays, but the one I found that looks open is $200 a person. Sounds like a lot for one outing. Debating taking snorkles. The hotel is on a bay but I don't think the snorkeling is great there.

I will definitely walk around the old parts of town and maybe hit a couple of shops. We went a while back (10 years?) and went to the rainforest then. I am interested in how much recovery is still going on.

Who knows? Maybe I will go watch my dh's conference in action. Can I use it as a business expense then? .
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote