Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Christmas Party

>

checkerjane

Christmas Party
Old 12-01-2019, 08:57 PM

It’s being catered. Teacher’s meals are free, but we have to pay $20 for our spouse’s meal.

checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 PM

We don't have a "budget" for Christmas parties...so we've always paid for ourselves and our spouses. Not sure where the money would come from, otherwise? (Serious question). Does your P pay?

Having said that, I have skipped ours for the past 7 or so years. No interest in going, having "been there, done that" my first 9 years of teaching. Skipping this year's, as well.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

SeaGlass

Years ago
Old 12-02-2019, 03:31 AM

we always partied at teachers' houses. Each year going to a different house.It was lots of fun with Yankee Swaps and everyone and their spouse would come. We do not do this anymore. We do nothing as a staff.

If we went out to eat back then we always paid our own way. There was never money for catering.

Have fun
SeaGlass is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Old 12-02-2019, 03:38 AM

We do it at a local pub near our school. It is $20 per person. Most spouses do not come since most teachers live about an hour away. Includes food and one free drink. It used to included unlimited drinks but we were told we drink too much
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 12-02-2019, 05:15 AM

We always pay. I don't know who would pay otherwise. Whether it's at somebody's house or at a restaurant, there's usually some sort of catering.

PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Our party
Old 12-02-2019, 05:28 AM

We have had it both at a local restaurant and at someone’s home. It is nicer at a home. We pay for food either way and people bring appetizers, desserts and beverages if it is at a home. The last few years it has been at the principal’s house.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 AM

We always paid too. Public school. No corporation to absorb the cost.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

canteach

Interesting about the catered meal.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 AM

We used to have catered meals for special occasions like baby showers, but it was at the school building and we collected money from staff at the beginning of the year for a social fund and made money by having a potluck type lunch and charging ourselves $5.00 for the food. The social committee brought in the food usually unless someone else wanted to participate. For Christmas we usually had a big potluck meal. When I was a union rep we would have meetings at restaurants and the local would pay for meals, but we had to pay for our own drinks if we went to a bar. It was something to do with accounting issues and to keep people from getting sloshed as well, I think.
Back many years ago, we went to local restaurants for a big Christmas meal and would have a choice of 3 meals, but we always paid for spouses. I think the principal paid for the staff members' dinner? It's been a long time since we did it. I have been retired awhile, so you can imagine how long.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Wow! I guess I’ll stop whining.
IDK how they’re paying for it. I guess it just boggles me because DH works for the city, and they always have it catered and we can bring our kids.

KT_203

Old 12-02-2019, 01:42 PM

When I worked at a private school we’d occasionally go out for an end of year party or other occasion. This was paid by the school. For Christmas we’d go to someone’s house.

At my current school ( Public) the first year I was there we went out for our holiday party. I helped plan it and we did a limited menu so it was a flat fee per person. People complained bc they didn’t like the choices etc. My P bought apps for everyone and people paid for their own drinks. Last year I offered to host at my house. Everyone brought food etc. I’m doing the same again this year.

KT_203 is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

school Christmas party
Old 12-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Almost always at someone's house. Principal gets a large ham from Honey Baked and pays for it out of some budget money he has. Then we all bring sides/deserts/drinks/plates etc that we sign up to bring. Ornament swap or white elephant gift exchange rounds out the fun. See below.

Spouses haven't come ever since one of the 1st grade teachers decided that she should sing a few solo Christmas songs as entertainment.

I dislike the ornament exchange since I always end up with an ornament that either came from the Dollar Store, or was regifted from a student or parent, or disinterred from the place old ornaments go to die.

I also dislike the white elephant exchange. I don't find them that amusing. What am I supposed to do with a huge pillar of peppermint candy?

Thank goodness I'm retired. I'd rather get drunk on spiced eggnog and wrap presents at home. (OK. So the presents need to be rewrapped, but it was still a better deal.)

Last edited by timeforbed; 12-02-2019 at 05:24 PM..
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

Katluv

We go to
Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM

The same teacher’s house every year. We order pizza, have a chocolate fountain and byob. Very low key, cheap and fun (but I love the peeps I work with!).
Katluv is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Ours is a potluck . I have to admit I was a little jealous this year listening to some of my corporate friends talk about their work Christmas parties. Fancy food, open bar, gifts, etc. And here they're basically just piling more work on us- if you want to go you have to spend your own time/money on making something to bring. It's also BYOB.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-02-2019, 05:04 PM

Ours is a potluck . I have to admit I was a little jealous this year listening to some of my corporate friends talk about their work Christmas parties. Fancy food, open bar, gifts, etc. And here they're basically just piling more work on us- if you want to go you have to spend your own time/money on making something to bring. It's also BYOB.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 12-02-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Last year, we all took turns as a grade level (elementary) the week before Christmas Break bringing food for everyone in our building. It was a pain..and expensive...and time consuming.

At the company one of my paras worked at before starting at school, they had a catered Christmas party and open bar. Spouses attended for free, but no kids. The company catered a picnic during the summer for their family.

linda2671

It's changed over the years
Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 PM

When I first started teaching, we used to have our meals and our spouses' meals paid for, and there would still be money left over for door prizes. That was when we got our money from the pop machine in the teachers' lounge. Then they said that we couldn't use that money for anything outside of the school building. So after that, the teacher's meal was paid for, but not the spouses. We would go to a nice restaurant and usually get a private room.
This year, they're having pot luck at a local pub. I'm not a drinker, and I'm not interested in watching everyone else drink, so I guess I'll stay home this year.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote