Help

The VENT

F2F and virtual

>

Runnergirl04

F2F and virtual
Old 10-02-2020, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, we are being forced to go back to brick and mortar by our genius of a governor. I will have 2 students physically in class, while the rest of the parents are keeping their children home.

Any advice on how to proceed? The two that will be with me are very much behind academically and socially.

Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Damusicman

Do the best you can.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go slowly and begin with rigid f2f classroom expectations.
Damusicman is offline   Reply With Quote

RLH

Wash your hands and wear your mask
Old 10-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have been in school for 7 weeks. I started with 13 in class and now am up to 18. Itís fine. We wash our hands and use sanitizer. We sanitize the desk and wipe down shared materials. We eat lunch in the cafeteria. They play at recess with their homeroom. Life feels like normal. The masks take getting used to all day but sometimes we go outside and take a mask break for about five minutes. I think the world needs to get back to living. We are doing really good in our district. Iím in Texas.
RLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

No, just no
Old 10-03-2020, 01:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There's no getting back to "normal" during a global pandemic that is still raging across the country. Please stop trying to minimize the deaths of 208,000 Americans.

twinmom95

Old 10-03-2020, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So you teach 2 kids in class and the rest virtually at the same time?? If so, that's miserable.

We are hybrid and only teach the kids in class f2f and give independent work to them through Google Classroom on their " at home" days. Full remote kids have their own teacher. I am glad our district said we would not be expected to try to live stream and do 2 groups at once.

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

RLH

Not going to stop living
Old 10-03-2020, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our kids deserve normal. They need social interaction. Six months of at home learning and they are so far behind. I’m more stressed about what they haven’t learned than I am about getting sick. Recovery rate is way more than the death rate. I have a father that is in very poor health and would not survive. But I can’t and won’t stop living because of the what if’s. School is important for our kids and if we can do it safely than I think we need to.
RLH is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-03-2020, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ugh. Remember that many of those who recover will have long lasting health effects and may never be the same. this includes young, otherwise healthy people. It is not all right just because only a small percentage die. One death should be too many.

The kids will survive as this wonít go on forever. However, loosen things up too much and they wonít be around to teach and teachers wonít be around to teach them.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Minnie716

Old 10-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with RLH. My school has gone back on a waiver. We are EXTREMELY cautious and my class stays together all day. But, they are in school where they should be. If parents feel uncomfortable sending their kids, they can do distance learning at our school. We have already seen our students severely fall behind. MOST kids don’t learn well from home. Especially kids who have parents who don’t care or who are working two jobs. And I’m so sick of teachers saying that parents just want a babysitter. I’m a parent AND a teacher and let me tell ya...going from school to then-BOOM!- no school...it’s gonna be hard for parents to find someone to watch their kids while they work. I know some parents who are working two jobs. So, yeah...of course school helps them out while they work! But don’t bag on parents. Yes, some parents don’t care (like I mentioned above) but a lot of parents don’t have anywhere for their kids to go. Oh wait! They can go to a daycare where there are other kids (hmmm similar to school) or to their grandparents house (their age is the most at risk). But they can’t go to school?! Makes perfect sense.

If you say one death is too many, than we will NEVER get any sense of semi- normalcy. Go ahead and say I’m heartless. But, we will always have deaths from a virus no matter what precautions we take. I personally know someone who has succumbed to this virus. It’s real and it devastating to those who will forever be affected by it. But we will never have zero deaths. Google all of the viruses out there that cause deaths every year. You saying that one death is too many really makes me afraid that some people out there (especially teachers) will always be afraid to come back to school. If you say that about COVID, then you have to say that about all of the other viruses that cause deaths too. You cant just single out one.

Ok. Now you all can say how cold and heartless I am.
Minnie716 is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 10-03-2020, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I feel for you, OP. We are also going to start hybrid and the kids in class wonít be on Zoom, which makes zero sense to me. Most of the kids wonít be able to see anything projected. However itís flipped in my case where most kids will be in person and a handful at home. I think those who think kids deserve normal are entitled to their opinions, just like the rest are entitled to ours. COVID cannot be likened to all the other diseases and illnesses out there and if anyone wants to live in that world., be my guest. This is a global pandemic - not some run of the mill flu. Thatís the scary part; the people who think itís no big deal.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Well stated
Old 10-03-2020, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well said, RLH. No one is ďminimizingĒ the deaths, but children need to have some sort of normal living. The cost/benefit of hiding until whenever has to consider all lives, not just the ones lost to this virus.

Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Back to the original post - I assume you are expected to be teaching both groups at the same time? I feel like at least you have a bit of an advantage over many people because it won't be quite as hard to keep protocols with only 2 in person students. I'd spend the time you do have to focus on those two really working hard to remediate what they are missing, and then do grade level work when you're teaching the online kids as well. Other than that, not knowing how your schedule works, it's hard to give specific advice.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

If it helps
Old 10-04-2020, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We just completed our 9th week of f2f in a school of almost 700 K-12, and we've only had one positive case in the high school that did not spread to anyone else. We're wearing masks, completing a morning healthcare screening, and quarantining those who need it. The masks take some getting used to, but we feel pretty safe.
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 10-04-2020, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Going back to the original post, Iím dreading having to do much the same thing. Weíre all virtual but will go back in November. The plan going back has changed from what it was in July. Iíll be teaching some kids in person and most of the kids online all at the same time. Itís going to be hard and, at the moment, I canít imagine doing it well. Right now itís hard to do a decent job with all the kids virtual. I canít imagine doing it virtual and in person.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 10-04-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We’ve been hybrid for three weeks, we are streaming to those at home. It’s hard. I feel as if I can only pay attention to one group at a time, either those online or those in class. Those at home can’t see my screen when I share. The tech is spotty at best. We have our first positive case now. It’s hard. I wish I had advice for you beyond do what you can, nothing is perfect right now.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-04-2020, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I apologize. I should have tried to help you with your problem instead of going off about my feelings about how to handle the pandemic.

That is a very strange situation to have only two kids in person and the rest virtual. It almost seems like the only way to handle that would be to have the two students also be online with your class as well even though they are in person. This way you are still only teaching one class. The two in person can either also be on the zoom or meet call or not depending on what seems to work best. During asynchronous time you can help them in person and be available to the kids online as well the best you can.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Runnergirl04

Thank you
Old 10-04-2020, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Thank you everyone for the support and advice. I feel that it will be awkward teaching via zoom to those students at the same time..it goes against my grain as a teacher. However, that is the mandate. I pray that soon we can go back to better times.
Runnergirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote