Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Are you okay?

>

twin2

Are you okay?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 PM

A question we don't ask enough. I've been putting my feelings out there enough lately. I realize this is a hard time for a lot of people, whether it's Covid related or not. Overall I think this is a caring bunch here... So Are you okay?

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-25-2020, 03:06 PM

I am okay, but it getting harder to maintain that state. Last week was very hard as I was struggling with a difficult decision, but right now I am okay.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 11-25-2020, 03:08 PM

I think Iím fairly OK, Covid isnít my issue. My mom passed away in February and Iím feeling a bit aimless. When she was well we spent a lot of time together, especially our weekends we were always out shopping or doing something.

My only immediate family left is my brother and my dad and that scares me. Doesnít help that I do much better in the spring and summer. I absolutely love my job and I am very financially secure so thereís that at least.

I may eventually seek counselling just to get help with giving my life some direction.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM

I am okay for the most part. I miss my son. Haven't seen him since
Christmas last year and probably won't this year. I try not to think about it but it's hard. I am struggling with the stress of f2f school and the high numbers in our county. It wouldn't be so bad if parents wouldn't send their sick kids to school.

Thanks for asking.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Kalulablast, important decisions certainly can trouble us. Sometimes the best part of decision making is once the decision is made and acted upon. Uncertainty is very hard to deal with. I hope things go well for you, glad you are better now.

CatLove, I haven't personally experienced that kind of loss, but my husband has. He was so close to his mom. They talked almost daily. I see what he goes through, even after six years, so I can sympathize with you. It's good that other things are going right in your life but I realize you still have the loss of your mom.

twin2

Old 11-25-2020, 03:25 PM

All41, I certainly understand but that doesn't change things for you. I haven't seen my son since last Christmas season either. It's not easy. I hope you are able to talk with him. Do you video chat? It helps me to video chat with my son. I hope you get to visit one another soon.

F2f with Covid lurking isn't easy. Thank you for being there for your students. They may not even know it, but you are doing them a great service. Someone's life will be changed because of you.

all41

Old 11-25-2020, 03:36 PM

Thank you twin2. I hope you are able to see your son again soon too. We do speak on the phone but haven't video chatted or zoomed. He doesn't have internet at home, and refuses to get it even when we offered to pay for it. It's hard, as you know. Thank you for your kind encouragement and I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-25-2020, 03:46 PM

I saw this question in relation to Megan Markle's miscarriage (don't know if that's where you got it from but seeing it twice in one day made me think aobut it a lot). I need to ask this question more.
I'm okay now. It's been stressful recently. On a positive note, I survived my cataract surgery on Monday! And I can see SOOOO much better. I kept telling myself that it's a common surgery and (even if it wasn't perfect when done) it would be bound to be an improvement. While one eye was 20/20, the impacted eye was worse than 20/200 and.....is now 20/25 with a good chance it's going ot be even better once it settles down a lot.
Twin2, thank you for asking.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 11-25-2020, 03:54 PM

I am ok, and thank you for asking. I am trying to mentally prepare for continuing to teach hybrid (both f2f and online) even as local numbers rise and we go into a colder, darker season of the year. Trying hard to remember to look for daily blessings. Also hiking up a storm, which is good for me in so many ways. And how are you?
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 11-25-2020, 03:58 PM

Yes, I'm going to chose to be okay, no matter what life brings.
Prayer will help with that.
Hope we all chose to be okay.

LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-25-2020, 04:16 PM

I am basically ok but this last week or so has been VERY stressful, but I will get through it. One day at a time.......

Glad to have a job ( even if it is super challenging right now) am healthy so far, no kids at home to try to deal with, and retirement is not all that far off........
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 11-25-2020, 04:38 PM

I am okay, mostly. I have had some very stressful times in the past two weeks. Hope to have settle out soon. Hope you're ok, too.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-25-2020, 04:45 PM

I like to think Iím ok, but the scale has been steadily creeping up, which means Iím not completely ok. Combination of stress with a touch of depression makes it so easy to sit, watch tv, and snack. Sounds normal for our circumstances! Today I felt more like myself, so thatís a good thing.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

LazyLake said it
Old 11-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to chose to be okay, no matter what life brings.
Prayer will help with that.
Hope we all chose to be okay.
I think each day of stressors v. blessings:
Stressors:
-I just found out this morning we're going back to virtual after about 1.5 months of hybrid teaching (some kids f2f while others virtual).
-I can't see my family for Thanksgiving. Or probably Christmas.
-DH is going crazy with NO time alone since March.
-I've gained back a lot of the weight I'd lost over the last 2 years.
-Our house needs some work and I don't know where to start. what can we DIY and what should we hire for? And what should be done first?
-Someone I love very much is in a mental health crisis.

Blessings:
-My loving God will get me through anything: "Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is."
-My family is pretty much healthy.
-My nephew got married to his true love.
-I have a new great niece who is lovely and healthy.
-I feel like I know myself very well and like what I know.
-Despite all the trials of last spring and this year, I love my job and my work family.

What I've done to help take care of myself:
-doing very little school work at home
-telehealth for counseling
-try my best to sleep well and enough-firm bedtime routine for unwinding
-trying out new recipes bc I'm sick of cooking so much
-exercising almost every morning even if it's 10 minutes
-using part of my planning time to get outdoors every day at work- my space has no natural light
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

MACMama

No
Old 11-25-2020, 04:49 PM

I am not ok. I suppose I am better than most, but right now I am missing my kids and grandkids. One child lives in Japan, getting married in March. I bought plane tickets, but I know deep down I won't be allowed to use them. At least they are refundable. Other child lives in Seattle with her family. I miss the grandkids (ages 5, 3, 1, and one on the way). I want to snuggle them and read them stories. I am tired of Skype. I am tired of people who won't wear a mask because of their "rights" just as I am tired of those who argue with them. I wish the country would just get along. So, to answer your question, no I am not ok. But I will get through this and survive.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 11-25-2020, 04:50 PM

I am not ok, but not much I can do about it right now. So Iíll muddle through and pray as usual.

I plan to decorate for Christmas tomorrow. Hoping that will lift my spirits.

Iím not in danger and anything. Lots of worries for family, future, and work.
arsabl is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Thank you for asking!
Old 11-25-2020, 05:17 PM

I am ok at this moment. My mom who fell the other day and was hospitalized is now happily home. She will need some extra help, so I am prepared to help as much as I can while still working full time. I am concerned about finances. We've been relying on credit cards too much lately, and that concerns me. I'm really tired of teaching, especially online, and I'm trying to find joy in what I'm doing. I need to focus on all of the good in my life, but feeling just a bit overwhelmed and depressed at this time.
Twin2, are you okay?
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 11-25-2020, 05:17 PM

Thank you for asking. Mostly I am fine. I have noticed that I am more forgetful and less organized than usual which I blame on stress. I also have more trouble sleeping. I miss a lot of things that my husband and I canít do now. We were very involved with community activities.

I just found out that I am going to be a grandma, so that is joyful news, but my daughter-in-law works in a hospital and encounters Covid patients so it is also a concern.

I am trying to walk outside every day and do things I enjoy, like sewing and crafts.

I hope all of you are well and can find a way to deal with all of this. We are living through a time that will be in the history books.
NatureLvr is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 11-25-2020, 05:52 PM

I would say that I'm ok. I'm missing my DH more around the holidays and especially this year since I will be alone tomorrow. I am bored just puttering around this house. Watching movies, reading a book, crocheting, and playing on the computer is what I'm doing now since my doctor took away my daily bike rides for a week. But overall I can say that I'm ok.
nucleus is online now   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

thanks for asking
Old 11-25-2020, 06:00 PM

No, not really, not today. I have all this week off from school and while that is a very glorious thing, there is another recent additional stressor going on right now that is often all-consuming.

It hasn't been a bad year for me. I have many blessings, a strong faith, am thrilled to be teaching face to face, and know things will turn out all right. But today, or at least as I'm writing this, I'm not okay. I'll focus on being thankful tomorrow.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-25-2020, 07:11 PM

How very nice of you twin 2 to ask . I hope you are doing ok I 'm ok for now. Worries pile up here and there about my adult children and my dh but for this moment I am not worried. I'll take each moment and try to live it without worries. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Yes Cruxian
Old 11-25-2020, 07:16 PM

Yes, my husband was watching the news and I heard, "are you okay?" It was the Megan Marked story. I hope a lot of people that heard it reacted the same. It definitely is not everyone, but a lot of us, me included focus too much on how we feel and not how others are doing. It is so evident in current events. No matter what side we are in, we all are feeling it. That's not how we take care of each other. I'd like to be more like those that have it in them to really think of the other person first.

sportsmom88

Old 11-25-2020, 07:32 PM

I watched the Megan Markle story tonight too. I love her idea and how she is using her own heartache to help others. I am okay. I have plenty to be thankful for. I have been having an anxious feeling lately and tell myself each time I experience the panicky feeling to breathe and be thankful.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 PM

He Iím struggling. Iím the primary caregiver for my mom, and she has had a rough few days. No appetite. Anxiety way up. Confused about who I am and where she is, Iím also still working virtually. I am mentally exhausted.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-26-2020, 07:30 AM

Today I am okay. I've been up and down this year. We've gone back to virtual learning so I'm not as stressed about the virus. I'm still sensitive with my husband because he isn't as particular about germs as I am, but I'm trying to control my emotions and be reasonable. I miss my son in Japan, but in reality, we've been distanced from all of our children and grandchildren because of Covid. We did a family video chat last night and that helped some.

momteach310

No
Old 11-26-2020, 07:45 AM

I am teetering.... my mom passed away 2 years ago on Thanksgiving day. My dad is one state away, but I am f2f in school so I am not going to see him for the holiday. I'm sick of the idiots who won't wear masks, I am terrified for the health care workers and the hospital systems which are being overwhelmed. I am afraid at school. The stress is very real. Some days (like today) I cry at the drop of a hat. I made a cooking error today - no big deal, yet I burst into tears.
I'm scared.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonteach

Old 11-26-2020, 02:05 PM

Thank you for asking.

I am far from okay. I have many blessings and am thankful, but they canít negate the storm that is my life right now. Itís harder than anything I have ever gone through.
bonteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-26-2020, 02:44 PM

Twin2, I loved it too!!! And I think itís an important question to ask. Iíd like to think most of us are kind hearted but donít want to intrude or donít to know how to ask. I think itís a lovely question. Thank you for asking!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 11-26-2020, 04:30 PM

Thank you for asking! Today, I'm great, had a nice, relaxing day with just my fiance' and I. My Mom, fiance' or I never had very social lives, so actually these COVID times are not bad for us. Yes, we miss going to some places and we're not working so I hope and pray that we can keep up how we've been doing so far.

Overall, in these last 8 mos, I've been as good as anyone can be. We make the best of each day as much as I can. While I'm home a lot more, being at home never bothered or bored us in general, so it's fine.

As we're getting to the early evening of Thanksgiving, I hope everyone had as nice a day as possible under the circumstances.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote