Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

the ants go marching two by two hurrah, hurrah,

>

anonymouse

the ants go marching two by two hurrah, hurrah,
Old 08-10-2011, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been fighting the ants all summer long. I put down the borax and sprayed the walls with the dishwashing liquid/water combo to destroy their scent trails and for the most part that has kept them off my counters but I went to get dishes out for dinner last night and saw that they were in my cabinets. I took everything out of my dish cabinet and cleaned and put down the borax again but I feel like I am chasing them around my kitchen. Does anyone have any other non toxic ways to get rid of ants?

tammynj

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Huh. The Borax totally worked for me this past week (I had tiny brown ants all over my medicine cabinet, drawn, I believe, to the toothpaste). The Borax worked quickly.

What kinds of ants are these? It's weird how they seem to find something no matter what (things that we think are clean must have some sort of residue on them).

It might just be the time of year. What a PITA, though!

L8 4 School

Non-toxic?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I swear by those ant traps whose name escapes me at the moment. You can almost sit and watch the ants disappearing. It's like Torro or something like that.

Valone

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always use Terro. It is a clear syrup. The ants love it. They take it back to their hole and it kills them all off! It is easy to put the syrup where ants can find it and kids and pets don't (under stove or fridge).

libragirl

Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you can find the entry point, I swear by cinnamon. We have one spot where they will come into the house. We just lay down a thick layer of cinnamon and they will not pass through.

Brassy125

Same Problem!!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have had the same battle this summer...so far...Raid is working the best...I hate the smell, and I am sure it is bad for the environment, but I finally gave up on Borax, dishsoap, and those stupid little white ant traps...nothing worked like Raid. Like you, I have felt like they just keep relocating!

TeachCS

Same
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I had the same problem as you. I felt like I tried everything and finally I just couldn't take it anymore. We had a professional exterminator come in and got rid of them once and for all. It took a few weeks for them to be completely gone, but they will come back if we see any more. The guy said whatever he used was safe around food, kids and pets. At that point I didn't care what they used. It was totally worth the money.

HBCaligirl

Old 08-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ant traps work well in the corners, and use a diluted white vinegar solution to spray on surfaces. I just do a quick mix, nothing exact, maybe 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water. Open the windows to help with the smell. The smell fades fast.

*Spraying white vinegar on your dishes in the dish washer before you run it helps with water spots and keeps the ants out of the dishwasher

cmitchy

Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My poor mother is going through the same thing! All summer long they have been in her home. Kitchen, bedrooms on the baseboards, and both bathrooms. She is an OCD clean freak and it is driving her nuts. She has done everything you have and in addition to that, sprayed Gold Bond medicated powder around because it supposedly suffocates them. GL in getting rid of them.

South Paw

Terro
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It always works for me. The exterminator(sp) my dd hired said that terro was the best over the counter stuff. She said it now comes in those traps you put on the floor.

Mrs. S.

I put this on someone else's post also.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use those little ant hotel things. I put them in the corners and under my husband's chair. I also put them outside the entrance doors to our house. That's what really seems to stop them. I think the trick is to put them out before the ants come in the early spring and replace them every 3-4 months during the warmer months. I have problems whenever I forget to get the "hotels" out in the spring.

Hope that helps!! BTW, I also use Clorox clean up on my counters until they are gone.

walkingdi

Salt
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

A few years ago I also had an ant invasion. I really did my research and one of the methods that was given was to use salt. The idea is you first need to watch where they are coming from and when you see where the trail is you sprinkle salt. The hard part of this method is that you can't kill the ants when you see them in the trail. The reasoning is that these are the worker ants and if they don't come back the queen will just send out new troops to do the job. If you allow the workers to bring the salt back to the nest you will be able to kill the ants and more importantly the queen. The way that salt works could be considered cruel. The ants will eat off the salt crystals and when it takes in water the body of the ant will bloat up and it will literally make the ant explode. It took about 10 days and they were gone. I had them in my kitchen and the bathrooms too and the salt did the trick. Good luck!!

Maestra1

Same Problem!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I posted a few days ago. I used the cinnamon suggestion and it really worked! Plus my kitchen smelled nice!