Help

Fifth Grade

Feeling like a failure

>

lolamae

Feeling like a failure
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Itís my first year teaching and I absolutely love it. However, Iíve recently received the results back from the first two units and they were horrible! Iím beginning to question if my teaching ability is just not there. For you veterans, how do you get over the first big flop on an assessment? Major words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

lolamae is offline   Reply With Quote

snick

It's frustrating
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've been there before too. Don't let it get you down. Think of it as a challenge to find what new approach or small grouping you can do to reteach the concepts especially if they are something that they will be building on with the next lesson.

Don't give up. Just know that you are not the only teacher who has this happen.
snick is offline   Reply With Quote

FLNUT

Don't give up
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Stick with it, we learn from our mistakes
Also, reteach!
Good luck
FLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is my first year in fifth after teaching first. I am taking note from some things my teaching partner does. They send a study guide home prior to each test that kids have to fill out. He also does a weekly quiz and a daily check (white board) on each different thing they have worked on or are learning so that he knows who is getting it or not. Then for the test, if kids are not proficient they do an entire worksheet on the portion they need to work on. He gets awesome results and therefore I am taking a page from his book.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

REBStevenson

Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Keep on going! there are always times when we feel like nothing is going right but, everything will turn around

REBStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote

starbucksmom1

formative assessments
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district really focuses in on formative assessments - the assessment that one does as one is in the midst of teaching. The basic formula is "teach a little- check a little" This is esp important during NEW material. This will provide feedback (which will help you do the next step of monitor and then adjust the instruction so that there are NO (or few) suprises when testing comes along!
starbucksmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

quizcoach

Great advice
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love this reminder - don't get too far into the material without checking that they've comprehended and mastered it. It doesn't take too much time to survey the knowledge the students have retained, review it briefly, then move on.
quizcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2picnic

1st year teaching 5th grade too-CCS :(
Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my first year teaching 5th grade as well, after having taught 1st for the past five years. I really like the ideas you shared about your mentor teacher, especially the white board check of the weeks' skills. I think I'm going to try some of that next week.

It's so easy to feel overwhelmed, especially with what's coming down the pipe with common core. Math is stressing me out. District wide we have Saxon, but many of the 5th grade teachers have stopped using this and are pulling this and that from Bridges, Oncore math,etc. I think it's fine to incorporate this, but I can't just throw out the textbook, especially not being a seasoned teacher. The state dept. states that this year is the professional development stage, but I feel that many are just jumping in feet first. Thoughts?

I'd also love any ideas for teaching place value and standard notation.

Hang in there ALL! We're here because we have a passion and love of learning and those kiddos just plain need good teachers
luv2picnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchr4lifeinNC

Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

First of all, breathe. Second, remember that your children took the test not you! Third, use formative assessments to track where your children are as you teach. I use thumbs up/thumbs down, pair checkers etc.

Place Value--- use the almighty dollar! It does help and the kids love money!!!!!
Tchr4lifeinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

starbucksmom1

Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Also, next time be sure you look at the test and take notes as to what is going to be covered and then.. make sure you cover that. It isn't exactly teaching to the test but rather making sure they are prepared for what is expected of them. I am constantly checking my list and then crossing off each topic as it is taught. I also test just that small portion each time to see who got it and who didn't and then I reteach just the ones who did NOT get it (or I have a parent helper do it). That way they got a double dose of material. HANG In there! After 22 years of teaching I still encounter what you did sometimes! It is human nature and sometimes kids really do think they understand the material and will tell you that they do - it is only when we double check that we see that they didn't (as much as you can, try to check WHILE you are in the lesson. I usually teach the lesson and then do a quick check (whiteboards, index cards, go to corners of the room etc...) to show me some samples. THEN I let them go on to independent work as I walk around and double check (and reteach) again. All these little steps make it much less likely that you will be surprised come test time!

starbucksmom1 is offline   Reply With Quote