>

Helenita

Helenita

Cheating student?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello.

Not sure what to make of this.

I have a third grade girl that has done very poorly on our last two spelling tests. I mean to the point of getting 10 out of 20 wrong.

Well, I'm sitting here grading today's tests and she has 19/20 correct.

Furthermore, for #1 on the test, she wrote the first word on the spelling list, and NOT the first word I said on test day. She clearly erased it.

Makes me wonder if she was copying from list inside her desk?

How should I handle this?

This is a VERY good girl and honestly I'm shocked if she is indeed cheating (I am naive?)

Kermit

Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Kids want to do well and please their teachers. I was a horrible speller. One time I wrote the words in yellow and traced them from the sheet under the test paper in my binder. I didn't actually KNOW that it was cheating! No one ever told me that it was cheating in the same way copying from another person is cheating. I thought I'd come up with some great solution to my poor grades!

I was just really, really, poor at spelling. And we studied every night and in the car!

If she's doing that poorly maybe she needs an individualized or differentiated list- one she can do well with!

Last edited by Kermit; 10-16-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexis

Spelling
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My own daughter did this in the second grade and she was AIG but could not spell. Her teacher cut her list to the first ten words. She took the whole test and if she got any of the other words correct they counted as a extra point. This really helped.
Lexis is offline   Reply With Quote

REBStevenson

Cheating
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the previour postings. Many children do not know all of the different ways to "cheat" did not even know that you could plagarize yourself. So maybe you could have a class discussion on what qualifies as cheating.
REBStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote

SU2014

Old 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also agree with all of the previous postings. I feel that it would be important to address the cheating issue with the entire class. She may have been copying from the list inside her desk. However with this being said there may have been a possiblity that she may not have been cheating. Before I explain the reasoing for why she may have not been cheating my question is how is her home life? What I mean by that is do you think that it is possible that she studied with a parent or gaurdian at home by memorizing the list of words in the order on the paper and that is how she copied them for the test? This is just a question that I would ask myself before I possibly discussed cheating with the student. I know this may not be a possibility but you know the stduent better than I do, it is just a thought. Hope this helps!

SU2014 is offline   Reply With Quote