ESL/LEP

Curriculum guide

>

blackkitty

Curriculum guide
Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,
Is anyone following any kind of curriculum guide in your district? Is there such a thing as a curriculum guide in English Language Development?
Thanks in advance!

blackkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 05-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our district has attempted to have a curriculum guide for the last 10 years. It has been re-written about 5 times. I do not follow it. ELL's come with a diversity of previous schooling so I teach to where they are which may be non-readers or children that can transfer skills from their first language. I also prefer to follow what is taught at each grade level and I check the state standards to see what is required.
This year we are starting to use WIDA guidelines so the curriculum will be re-written again. Before we used TESOL guidelines and tried to align those standards with state standards.
I don't think teaching names of parts of the body, colors, shapes, and clothing cuts it anymore. State standards are centered around Content area study so map skills, science concepts, social studies based on particular countries is more important to teach.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote