Help

ESL/LEP

Help....PLEASE:) from a PK Teacher

>

benziebear

Help....PLEASE:) from a PK Teacher
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a tenth year PK teacher teaching 19/20 students who are ESL for the coming school year. Our school's ESL services will not extend services to my students until they go into their kindergarten year after being with me for learning the basic academic skills. Every year, I have at least one student every year that is so slow no matter what I do to help that certain child and his parents with individualized teaching/remediation, labeling manipulatives in their native as well as the English language, give more reponse time. I also finished taking training in ESL strategies for the PK students including learning about CALP and BICS langauge time frameworks. So, with all this said, does anyone have advice, strategies or skills to help me? I hate not being able to help that one child every year that I have given so much time and help with all year go into kindergarten being low in skills still. It just breaks my heart every year!!

benziebear is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

Tprs
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never worked with Pre K before. So, I don't really know what goes on in PK these days, but here are some ideas.

I went to a workshop on TPRS (Total Physical Response Storytelling) the presenter was Elizabeth Skelton (sp?) It was an amazing workshop. TPRS would definitely be something worth looking into.

I also received some storytelling cards from Macmillan/McGraw-Hill's Treasures program they are called Oral Vocabulary Cards. One of the kinder teachers I know used them and thought they were great.

FROG publications has some great games that might be helpful, too.
www.frog.com

Most of the strategies you use in preK are wonderful for EL's' the singing and chanting, the whole body involvement. It sounds like you are very dedicated to learning and implementing new strategies to do the best you can for your kids.
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

daisyflower

ps
Old 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is also a good website that might have good ideas for you.

http://www.colorincolorado.org/
daisyflower is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you do all you can. The child may be immature, scared, learning disability...
The child may need more time. You can't pour in knowledge.

If there is still an issue by first grade then the student may need to be tested for other problems.

Is the child speaking to others? In what language?
At this level speaking is really the first need. After a child is speaking then academic areas can be addressed.
A child has difficulty with sound in a second language if they don't have enough vocabulary.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

benziebear

The child shows these signs...
Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi and THANKS so much for responding to my need...Yes, this child may communicate in one or two word sentences in his/her native language. I did take a class required for all GA PK Teachers on Effective Teaching Strategies for ESL Students that's where I learned about conversational BICS langauage that takes 1-5 years to develop fluently and academic CALP language which takes 7-10 years to develop. Is this correct? Also, for three years, I have taught Hispanic/Latino students which last year I taught 16 out of 20 students who were Hispanic. This coming year, I have 19 out of 20 students that most of them will come in crying not understanding what is really going on, does not speak much English if any at all. My Assistant Teacher and I do not speak much Spanish-just enough to get by somewhat. Throughout the year, most of the students in my class will mature and grow into the school day and schedule. Most of the students will be very prepared for Kindergarten when they exit my room except for one or two children a year. I hold Parent/Teacher conferences for these children more throughout the school year with a translator giving these parents flashcards, games, and resources. I use to stress the importance of why their child needs to learn these basic academic skills for Kindergarten success until I attend that workshop that I mention to you earlier. Now, I just want them to learn the basic social language but, I am apprehensive that my administration that thinks I am a awesome Pk Teacher will think I a getting more lax in my approaches. So, I guess you could say I am asking you if I am doing everything that I could be doing for ALL my students even the ones who struggle every year going into Kindergarten?

benziebear

The child shows these signs...
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi and THANKS so much for responding to my need...Yes, this child may communicate in one or two word sentences in his/her native language with his/her peers but, that is it. The child will not even try to talk one word in the English language. The child may recognize his/her name on the attendance chart but, will not tell you his/her first name. This student will not tell me the names of shapes and colors even when I encourage him/her to tell me these in a game in Spanish.
I did take a class required for all GA PK Teachers on Effective Teaching Strategies for ESL Students that's where I learned about conversational BICS langauage that takes 1-5 years to develop fluently and academic CALP language which takes 7-10 years to develop. Is this correct? Also, for five years, I have taught Hispanic/Latino students which last year I taught 16 out of 20 students who were Hispanic. This coming year, I have 19 (Hispanic/Latino) out of 20 students that most of them will come in crying and scared, many have not left their mom's side, not understanding what is really going on, and most come into the class not speaking. My Assistant Teacher and I do not speak much Spanish-just enough to get by. Throughout the year, most of the students in my class will mature and grow into the school day and schedule. Most of the students will be very prepared for Kindergarten when they exit my room except for one or two children a year. I hold Parent/Teacher conferences for these children more throughout the school year than the other children with a translator giving these parents flashcards, games, and resources to use. I used to stress the importance of why their child needs to learn these basic academic skills for Kindergarten success until I attend that workshop that I mention to you earlier. Now, I just want them to learn basic social language but, I am apprehensive that my administration that thinks I am an awesome Pk Teacher will think I a getting more lax in my approaches. So, I guess you could say I am asking you if I am doing everything that I could be doing for ALL my students even the ones who struggle every year going into Kindergarten?

read&see

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is also something called the affective filter. A child may not be ready to speak or feels pressure and then shuts down.
You could give the information to your administrator. They should be informed also. Reading stories with big books is helpful if you can get all the students to "chime in" while reading aloud. Then a child may not feel singled out.
If parents are reading to their children at home it helps them gain vocabulary. Perhaps you can encourage parents to read to their children.

There is a website called reading a-z, you subscribe to it, but can get group subscriptions, where there are books in spanish and english. Some teachers have a mascot go home with the book so the parent and child read together.

And unfortunately, and this is a very general statement, some of the parents may not have received much education from their own country. They may not be able to read themselves. Culturally, in some countries the teacher is in charge of educating the children not the parents. Once they are with you, you are in charge of their learning.

I still think some children just need more time. They may be getting a great base from you and it will show up later. Others may actually have a learning disability that can't be helped until they are a little older.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote